MaKeS mE jUsT nUtS!!!!

Jeanne G.
on 11/13/07 9:57 am - Sauk Rapids, MN
I have been telling a few people about my decison to have WLS and most folks are SUPER supportive.  But, what is the deal with the choice few that say "Are you SURE, I mean REALLY SUUUUUUUUUUURE you want to do this?"  I want to yell "No, I thought i'd go through all this hard work and worry just for the fun of it!".  I mean, SERIOUSLY, do people just jump into this kind of a decison?  I mean, I guess they do, but it is a lot of work to get to the insurance submittal, so you have to think some, right?  Not to mention, I have been thinking about this for five+ years.  I am sure it is just genuine concern for my well being, but UGH, it makes me nuts.  Hypnotic  Ok, rant done.  Thanks for "listening". Jeanne

Diamond Girl
on 11/13/07 10:05 am - Ham Lake, MN

Are the people questioning your decision educated on WLS or not? My guess is it's probably the one's who just have "heard" of someone who didn't do so well (failed tool, etc.) and so they are not 100% gung ho about the procedure, or they may not have obesity as an issue in their life so they do not fully understand like you do. Just my thoughts.

Just try to remember that ultimately you are responsible for you, so only you know if the decision to have WLS is right for you. And, being on OH, you know that all of us support you!!!

Chin up Journey Girl! You know what the answer is for you. Stick with your answer.

Jeanne G.
on 11/14/07 12:12 am - Sauk Rapids, MN
You are right, the person that set me off is not as educated on the surgery as they could be.  I will make it my mission to educate all!!!!  :)

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/07 10:34 am - MN

"I SEE STUPID PEOPLE"  is the response I would like to use in these types of situations!  I understand that there concern is coming from caring for you as an individual; however their mouth just doesn't really know how to make that concern come across intelligently.  I just have to remind myself - they love me, that's why their asking. Trust me - it doesn't get any better - One of my friends mom absolutely chewed my mother a new butt hole for "LETTING me have this surgery, much less LETTING me go to Mexico to have it done" I SEE STUPID PEOPLE! BTW - speaking of that, I saw the greatest bumper sticker EVER it read "If ignorance is bliss, you must be ******ic!"  I have a few people I'd love to say that to! Have a good day and try to keep your chin up! What doesn't kill ya, makes ya stronger!   And with all that strength one day you can kill someone else...JUST KIDDING!

Sandra N.
on 11/13/07 10:56 am - MN
Eh!  People are uneducated on the risks of NOT having the surgery!  I had people tell me "Why don't you try Weigh****chers" or "Have you tried evrything" or "do you realize they rearrange your insides" and other dumb questions!  LIKE HELLOOO! Just try to ignore the ignorance!  Wait til you have it and people ask you "are you glad you had it done"!  DUH!  I would do it a thousand times over!  Keep your chin up and stick close to those who support you!!

~Sandie~ -147!!WLS:12-12-06:Preop 268,Ht.5'4",BMI 44.9
  Click on link to see my journey!!! 
http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2bfaca5561a1d558fceb
87&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you"~ The Golden Rule to Live by!
You are what you EAT and WHO you hang out with!  Choices=Outcome~ what's YOUR choice??
I'm not perfect but I am going to die trying!!!

Connie D.
on 11/13/07 11:05 am
I agree...people are just uneducated about WLS. They have heard so much bad and none of the good.  You can prove them wrong. I know it gets old fast...just hang in there. Hugs, connie d
kim J.
on 11/13/07 9:55 pm - knoxville, TN
Unfortunately those people that have asked that question are probably the people that are least informed about surgery, about the risks of NOT having it done, and how its a tool, not the miracle cure all.  They also arent aware of all the hoops that you have to jump thru to make sure you are qualified and ready for such a change in your life.   Its frustrating, yes, but just smile when they ask you " Are you SUREEEEE", and say to them "Im sure I want to live longer and healthier".   Congrats to you on making this life changing decision!!

Karma13
on 11/13/07 11:37 pm - MN
If one more person tells me "well your not THAT big...are you sure YOU need this" I think I will choke them!!!!! and "if you have already lost a little why can't you just keep going!!!" UGH ....they just have no idea!!!!

I see stupid people is right!!!!!

barbk
on 11/13/07 11:58 pm, edited 11/14/07 12:07 am - Eagan, MN

My hubby came up with a couple of answers (that I didn't use) that I laughed at but I can only remember one (darn)....Well, binging and puking just isn't working so I thought I'd try this next. My thought was to say -- I have to do this soon because the coupon is about to expire!!!! There are stupid people and there are people who have absolutely no idea what it is like to be in any of our shoes.  But doing what is best for you is what is important!!!  And unfortunately -- YES -- some people do jump into this decision and don't follow through and that is the story people remember ~~ those who fail or do it for vanity reasons.  It is up to those of us who are commited to this decision to enlighten people to the successes of this surgery.  Even if it means answering the same questions (even stupid ones) over and over again.  And bad press is the only thing people have heard.  Being an example to the advances in the process is just now starting to come to light.  I just saw my first t.v. advertisement for bariatric surgery the other day.  I was stunned!!!  But showing a success story and why he did it was fantastic.  It can only help!!! When I got the comment (becasue I am a "light weight") of "You aren't that big, I just said "Thank you, I dress to camaflouge (spelling) and it obviously works".  Or ask them "compared to what?"  In their own round about way, they are trying to give you a compliment because they don't know what else to say.  Taking the compliment may be your best way around it.  Or asking them compared to what may open the conversation up for you to explain more about what is going to happen.  Most people i explained the surgery to, had absolutely no idea what they actually did.  They thought the stomach was removed and had no idea what the original stomach did.  I also explain how the signal of being full is at the top of the stomach, that the body gives you a signal to stop eating but most ignore it, and that drinking before and after meals is not good.  They are totally amazed and some who want to lose a few pounds have started watching for the stomach's "I'm full and here is my signal to you" message.  Mine is that my nose starts to run.  If I ignore it, then I get a small burp.  It is not to make more room!!! So be patient -- education, education, education!!!  People just don't know.....Part of spreading the word--Lot's of the time this helps them accept and help you with your process. JMHO!!!!

Fitness is not about age or a size -- it's really about an attitude and life style!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathe away~~

Jeanne G.
on 11/14/07 12:09 am - Sauk Rapids, MN
I might just use that binging and puking one.....that is FUNNY! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1368 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2613 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2694 views