Proud Papa and the Steps

rickpete
on 5/14/11 11:45 am - Elk River, MN
This morning I attended my oldest daughter's graduation from the University of Minnesota Law School.  Tears came to my eyes as her name was announced.  One of her classmates said she had a loud cheering section.  Yeah, that was mostly me.  She is awesome, truly.

The ceremony was held in the Mariucci hockey arena and we sat in the lowest row, maybe 50 steps down from the top.  During the proceedings I ran up and down those steps a few times without being winded or even thinking much about it being a challenge.  As we were leaving I thought about what that event would have been like at 380 lbs.  My knees would have ached going down the steps, I would have had to wedge my arse in the seat, and I would have been sweating and way out of breath after slowly climbing back to the top to leave.  I felt grateful for that not being the case. Today was a day to be exceedingly proud of my daughter, but, you know, I felt a little proud of myself, too, for how far I have come on this journey.

RP
wert
on 5/14/11 4:14 pm - MN
Doesn't it feel good to be able to run around? Or run up and down? It's amazing when you kind of forget what you're able to do now that you coudn't do prior to WLS.

I spent 2 after school days last week running back and forth in the alley behind my house teaching my niece to ride her bike. At one point I realized what I'd been doing - running like a crazy person to keep up with her - and I couldn't believe I was able to do it.

Congratulations to your daughter. And to Papa, too. You've both worked hard to achieve your goals.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Paul H.
on 5/14/11 8:40 pm - Eagan, MN
 Congratulations to both of you. It truely is wonderful to celebrate life's  milestones.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Kim H.
on 5/14/11 9:44 pm - Duluth, MN
I agree with that! And there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself. For me, that means my self esteem is returning and that feels GREAT!
Congratulations on your newly found ability to move better and to your daughter who is probably just as proud of you as you are of her!

~Kim~

redsnapper1975
on 5/14/11 10:23 pm
What a wonderful feeling- congratulations to you both!
~ Kim

rjsams
on 5/18/11 12:36 am - Eagan, MN
Congratulations to both you and your daughter, RP.  What wonderful achievements for you both. 
I attended my daughter's college graduation on Saturday morning, and I also reached goal weight two days before.  It sure was fun to have all the family around for her party and be at my best!  (Especially the ex-hubby--eat your heart out!!)  I'm very proud of my daughter and of myself, too, so I know exactly what you mean.

Connie D.
on 5/18/11 1:01 am
Congratulation RP and also to your daughter!!

You have both worked so hard to achieve your goals!

Hugs....connie d
Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1339 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1130 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2596 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2688 views