Don't be afraid of the Big Bad Doc

Darla S.
on 11/30/11 11:09 pm - Maple Grove, MN
I know plenty of people avoid seeing their doctor following WLS - some because they just feel so darn good they think they don't NEED to go, some because they haven't been good, have maybe re-gained a few pounds, are ashamed, and don't want to be scolded.  Those old tapes are hard to erase.

Well I'm no different.  Over the past couple of years, I've gained about 20 from my lowest.  Didn't really ride myself too hard, because that STILL put me at 150 down, but I wasn't too thrilled about it. 

My BIGGER concern was my blood sugar.  I had been a card-carrying, insulin-shooting Type 2 diabetic for years, but have been off all meds and insulin since I was about 9 months out of WLS.  My best A1c has been 5.8, which is awesome!  But the economy has been really hard on us for the past 3 years, and I knew subconsiously that I had been adding more pasta and rice into our meals, as it is a good filler and a lot less expensive than other options.   I was concerned that the increase in carbs would bite me in the ass.

I saw my doc about 2 weeks ago, and sure enough, it showed.  My A1c was up to 6.8 (still okay, but definitely showed an uptick that neither of us wanted to see), and my BP was a little higher than it's been for a few years - 133/83.  He asked me if I wanted to go back on BP meds (have been off them for almost 4 years), but I said I really didn't.  So we had THE TALK.  My tail firmly between my legs, we talked about staying on track, watching carbs, and trying to reduce the stress in my life.  Not sure what I can do about a lot of the stress, but I CAN take control of what I eat.

And THAT shows!  Just since my appointment, I've shed 5 pounds.  Not sure about my BP, I'm supposed to go in to have them check it a few times, but with working 2 jobs, I sincerely haven't had a chance.  I WILL, tho.

My point?  DON'T BE AFRAID TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR - ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE REASON TO!  We all need a kick in the butt every now and then - a reality check to remind us that we CAN screw this up if we don't stay mindful!  I'm not going to mess up my WLS.  I REFUSE.  As a matter of fact, I'm now more determined than I've been in several years to respect my tool, and shed the pounds I gained back, plus a few more!!

Hugs to all of you ~

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Paul H.
on 12/1/11 11:20 pm - Eagan, MN
 Yep, we have to fight the old habits. Thanks for the encouragement.  I think you have done well. We all have difficulty transitioning into real life after the WLS honeymoon.
   I fell further off the wagon way too early. I do think staying involved here has helped me to not just roll over and give up. I am thakful for the opportunity to have a healthier body. Now if I could get my mind to play along.... 

Check you BP for free at any retailer that has pharmacy supplies. Maybe not as accurate as at the doctors office, but certainly a way to stay informed.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Diamond Girl
on 12/5/11 1:58 am - Ham Lake, MN
I always knew you were going to be a WLS success! And it shows.
Slight re-gain happens. Happens to everyone. Normal or surgically altered. It happens. What we do about it having been previously MO, though, that is what makes the difference.

I am glad you are taking action. Those insulin shots are no fun - I remember those days all to well, also. Never want to go back there either!

HUGS my friend! WTG!

Winona E.
on 12/11/11 11:32 am - Minneapolis, mn
What a great reminder Darla! I went back to my dr for my 10 post op appointment this summer and was so glad that I did. My Dr has new suggestion for the daily suppliments that I would not have ever known about. I have strongly suggested to my family members < my mom and 2 brothers also had my same surgeon> to make follow up appointments to make sure they are up to date with everything they need to know!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1366 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2607 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2693 views