Put a smile on my face

Darla S.
on 4/12/12 4:19 am - Maple Grove, MN
People sure don't have much to say here lately - so I challenge every one of you reading this to share a recent WOW moment you've had!  Big or small, if it made you smile, it counts!

For me, I was pondering a new staff jacket.  Don't need one desperately, but I get an allowance for staff clothing every year and thought I'd go for a bigger ticket item as I have enough shirts and such.  So I found (online) the style I thought I'd like, and began to ponder... 

The style is called "Nookta"  (), and it turns out one of my co-workers had his in his truck.  He's not a big man by any means... probably 5'9", MAYBE 175...  He's a firefighter for his hometown, quite athletic.  He brought in HIS Nookta jacket for me to see hands-on, and then he told me to try it on.  I hesitated, because I didn't think there was any way his would fit me.  But he told me it would, and by cracker - IT DID!  Roomy, even!

Why, at 5 years out, maintaining for the past 3, do I still see myself as huge???  I AM a big girl, but - Darren's jacket FIT!!!

Yup, that put a little hitch in my giddyup! 

YOUR TURN!!!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Paul H.
on 4/12/12 2:54 pm - Eagan, MN
 What? Ten hours before the first reply? Well here is a post I did on Facebook. 

I appreciate the upcoming 5K challenge. It is getting me out exercising when I would rather do something else. So I am riding my bike to Apple Valley to run an errand. I was crossing a busy intersection when my I pod came out with Go,Go; Go homey, get on the Trail.....Well, it WAS good advice, but who put Rap music on my I pod? 
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Darla S.
on 4/13/12 12:56 am - Maple Grove, MN

LOL!      

speechied
on 4/18/12 7:00 pm
 Hahaha Paul. That was funny! Way to get out there!
PMarie
on 4/13/12 12:15 am - Bloomington, MN
 Being able to keep up with my dog during Agility classes!  Lots of running around the course, and something I would never have been able to do pre-WLS.

Darla S.
on 4/13/12 12:57 am - Maple Grove, MN

YAY YOU!  (AND Fido!)

rjsams
on 4/13/12 12:50 am - Eagan, MN
What a great thread, Darla!

My best WOW moment recently was the MDRA Lake Johanna 4 mile race.  I posted about it before, but I am still quite chuffed that I ran so fast.  I didn't think I had it in me, but I finished four miles in 38:07, which is an average pace per mile of 9:26.  Two years ago I wouldn't have even been able to walk 4 miles, much less run them.  One year ago, I could not have run the whole 4 miles, though I would have finished.  This year--WOOT!--a personal record.

I'm so looking forward to our group 5K next weekend--I'm hoping to run another personal best and cheer for the whole group, too! 

Darla S.
on 4/13/12 1:00 am - Maple Grove, MN
I wish my 45 years of obesity (and a couple of car accidents that didn't help matters) wouldn't have ruined my knees.  I would like to be able to run, but a short trot is about all I dare put them through.  I'm no slug, I can walk any distance.  But the jarring that comes with running makes it a no-go for me.

YAY YOU for doing so well with it!!!

rjsams
on 4/13/12 1:14 am - Eagan, MN
Believe me, I totally understand about the knees!!  I'm trying to put off total knee replacement of both knees as long as possible.  My left knee is partially replaced, plus I had ACL reconstruction.  Knees are tricky things.  I'm just glad I can still run on them--I told my doctor I'm going to use them up!! 

Walking is awesome exercise, too!  I met a lady walking at the MOA the other day who is 93 years old.  She only walks on the carpeted parts to save her legs, but she goes back and forth.  She told me as long as you're moving forward, it's all good.  She was great!

Are you doing the 5K with us?  I need to check the team list, but it looks like we have a good team going.  I'm excited!!

speechied
on 4/18/12 6:59 pm
 FANTASTIC!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1338 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1129 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2595 views
10+ years out -