Surgery at Abbott Northwestern next Monday

meggy9
on 6/10/12 11:50 pm - MN
RNY on 06/18/12
If any of you have had surgery at Abbott can you tell me what your experiences were like? The closer I get the more nervous I get. I have total faith in my surgeon I just happen to hate hospitals in general, they kinda freak me out. Should I have my mom or boyfriend spend nthe night with me on my first night or should I be okay by myself? My mom will be at the hospital with me during the surgery.
Thanks all

HW:266/CW:174/GW:130

rjsams
on 6/11/12 1:28 am - Eagan, MN
My surgery was at Abbott two years ago.  I was only in the hospital one night, and that's all I needed.  Nobody stayed overnight with me, but my daughter was there during the surgery, and then the next day to take me home. 

When I was there they were a bit short-handed for nursing, but I never felt neglected or anything.  Things just happen so slowly at hospitals when it is not an emergency, but that's the nature of the beast.  I wouldn't want to be alone if I couldn't advocate for myself, but if you're having lap-RnY, you should be fine. 

Good luck!

Paul H.
on 6/13/12 8:40 am - Eagan, MN
 I was at Abbott also. It was a super experience. When they tell you to take a small sip of water, make it a small sip.  One of the after effects of anesthesia is difficulty in going pee. You will not be released until you can demonstrate that talent  I was in only overnight and did a walk around the area before I was released.  You are in a Bariatric only wing of the hospital, and all of the staff has been down this road many times. You are in good hands.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

vanish
on 6/13/12 9:01 am - MN
I had mine at Fairview, but wanted to wish you the very best of luck!  Take all their advice, tips and rules very seriously and you'll do really well.  You are at the start of something great!

Tess
 RNY 12/28/09 

meggy9
on 6/13/12 3:56 pm - MN
RNY on 06/18/12
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm basically counting the hours until its time for surgery. I'm ready for it and can't wait to be post-op.

HW:266/CW:174/GW:130

redsnapper1975
on 6/16/12 4:21 am
Good luck tomorrow!  You'll be fine either way.  Don't be afraid to speak up for what you need.  I needed a pain med change as mine wasn't cutting it and my nurse wouldn't act on it.  Insist you get what you need and ask for a supervisor or doctor if need be.  This time next year you'll be like a whole new person.  :)

Let us know how it goes!
~ Kim

Paul H.
on 6/19/12 3:11 pm - Eagan, MN
 So how is it going for you now, post surgery?
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1353 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1139 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2604 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2692 views