Ever feel like something was written with YOU in mind?

Darla S.
on 7/16/12 12:57 am, edited 7/16/12 1:03 am - Maple Grove, MN

The average caregiver in the U.S. is a woman in her late 40s. Many are "sandwichers," looking after both children and aging parents. With little time or opportunity for adequate self-care, they're prone to "caregiving stress syndrome," a condition linked to a medical chart full of health woes, including obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, dementia, and back strain. More than 70 percent of family caregivers show signs of depression.

Men care for loved ones, too, of course. But women tend to have more negative experiences as caregivers than men, who focus more on problem-solving and less on emotional nuances, says I-Fen Lin, a sociologist at Bowling Green State University. Wives caring for husbands report the highest stress load, her research shows.

Oops: Caregivers are twice as likely to manage stress by smoking, according to the American Psychological Foundation's 2012 Stress in America report. And they're 25 times more likely to binge drink. Emotional eating is another common coping strategy that backfires on health.

Silver lining: When stress is managed with good self-care and time off, many caregivers report a deeply enriching experience. Some caregivers even show improved longevity, better memory, and better physical strength, as well as a sense of meaning and purpose, say Boston University researchers.

Sure explains a lot of my stress... kids, mother, husband... Yes, I've been smoking. Not heavily, but I need to stop leaning on cigarettes whenever something unpleasant happens. No, I don't drink often, but sometimes when I do, it goes too far. I don't think I've been stress eating (thus, the smoking), but I could certainly be making some better choices.

I'm 15# up from my lowest, but I've been hanging in at this weight (withing about 5 pounds) for 3 years. I suppose that's called maintaining. But I need to get a handle on the stress factors in my life.

Of course, doing so would make me selfish, right? ugh...

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

rjsams
on 7/16/12 1:21 am - Eagan, MN
If you don't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of anyone else!  This is NOT selfi**** is important.  Good for you for maintaining in the face of all of that stress.  Does exercise help you handle stress?  Maybe getting out for an extra walk or something every day--I know, easier said than done...

Take care!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1351 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1139 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2604 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2692 views