4 yr Anniversary thoughts

PMarie
on 8/22/12 12:51 pm - Bloomington, MN
 Wow!  The 4th anniversary of my new life flew past amost without my remembering!
This new way of life is so engrained in me now.  I'm forever thankful to the kind physician friend who suggested I re-frame my thinking regarding WLS to think of it as 'another tool, and some people need more, or different tools than others'.  From the day she said that, it was a few short weeks to an informational seminar at the University of Minnesota with Dr. Ikramuddin, and from there, three more months to my surgery date.

I've hit a few bumps along the way:  converted to an open RNY due to intra operative complications, a 6 day hospital stay, a seroma requiring packing about 1month out, and two bouts of diverticulitis (which could be unrelated).  

I lost a total of 157 lbs from my seminar weight, and have gained about 7 lbs back.  My weight seems very stable at this point, and my doctors and I are happy with where I am.  In fact, at my last visit with Dr. Ikramuddin, he wanted to figure out what I do, so he can tell his other patients.  They have also approached me to speak at patient and physician seminars and clinic outreach visits, and I will be happy to do so.

I can eat nearly anything- which of course, has its downside-- I *can* eat nearly anything-- doesn't mean that I should!  The surgery is a tool, but I need to work it, and continue to make good choices for food, exercise and balance.   

I'm enjoying life a whole lot more these days: I practice yoga and Pilates regularly, and take a variety of exercise classes.  This past weekend, I paricipated in a build for Habitat for Humanity, and realized that prior to RNY, I would not have been able to climb scaffolding, and to fit between narrow spaces like I can now. 

The support and encouragement from everyone here on OH has been immeasurable.  I was off the boards for a while, but am checking back in periodically, to help provide input from a longer term RNY patient.   Many, many thanks to those of you who answered my newbie questions, and my best wished to those of you who are newbies now!

Tere O.
on 8/22/12 9:14 pm - West Saint Paul, MN
Congratulations!

I am almost 3 years out. You're right, being able to eat anything has its definite down side! I forget and eat things with high sugar or fat content and ^*&^() BANG ^((*&(*^ I'm dumping again. Feeling like I"m going to drop, dizzy, gagging, you know.

I am happy to hear that you have chosen to pop in to the boards to give the input from a long term perspective!! It's helpful for all of us to support each other.

Keep up the great exercises! Makes a huge difference!

~Tere

...     ...             ...  ...                

rjsams
on 8/23/12 7:00 am - Eagan, MN
Thanks for keeping us posted and congratulations on your continued success!  You have transformed your life, that's awesome!

Connie D.
on 8/23/12 7:54 am

Congratulations and Happy Surgiversary!!!

HUGS....connie d

kimbee1022
on 9/12/12 11:06 am - Saint Paul, MN
Oh so wonderful for YOU!!!  I am only 18+ months out, I pray I can say the same thing come my 4 year anniversary!!!  Good Luck
Kimberly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1368 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2610 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2693 views