Lost interest in eating

BestLady
on 9/13/12 6:43 pm
 I had my surgery (gastric bypass) on 7/23, since then I have not been hungry, lost interest in eating as either the food doesn't sit well in my stomach or I get sick. Please tell me this gets easier. I'm enjoying the weight loss, but am having second thoughts about the surgery. I know I can't turn back, but I feel very frustrated. Thank you for any support or advice. 
PMarie
on 9/13/12 8:23 pm - Bloomington, MN
 It gets better.  I remember early on, needing to eat 'by the clock' because I didn't feel hungry at all.

Is there anything that sits well?  Many people do struggle a bit to find foods that are tolerate, others (like me) seem to tolerate just about anything. 

BestLady
on 9/14/12 2:44 am
 I have found that soup, chili, or yogurt usually sit better. However I travel for work periodically and those aren't always an option and then I suffer, even tho I try to chew the food very well. I now eat because I have to not because I enjoy it at all. 
rjsams
on 9/17/12 7:06 am - Eagan, MN
It will get better--I know it sounds crazy, but seriously, enjoy this time.  Eventually you will be able to add back more and more foods to your diet.  I am two years out, and I can pretty much eat whatever I want.  That has good and bad implications, as I am sure you can imagine. 

This surgery saved my life and also changed it, but for the better.  Hang in there!

If there's a protein bar that works for you, try to carry one with you.  You may have to do some trial and error, so buy single bars, not boxes full, until you find something that works.  I just threw away about 8 boxes of various, (now stale) protein bars!  There are also those single servings of soup that you could throw in a purse--there's usually a microwave around somewhere, and lots of them are designed so you can drink the soup.

It really will get better!

BestLady
on 9/17/12 1:15 pm, edited 9/17/12 1:18 pm
 Thank you for the words of incouragement. It helps a lot. I think I just need to slow down and not rush things. I have already made other changes in my lifestyle because of the surgery, like working out more and I feel so much better because of this. 

Darla S.
on 9/21/12 10:43 am - Maple Grove, MN
I'm 5 & 1/2 years out and very rarely feel any kind of physical hunger.  Early on, I ate because I had to - if I didn't I'd get the shakes, which sometimes was the only way I remembered to eat!

(used to think it took a special kind of stupid to forget to eat!)

But this far out, as others have already said, I can eat pretty much anything.  Certain foods will often cause me to get stuck (pork is NOT my friend, unless it's extremely moist - dripping in juice or BBQ sauce of some sort!), but I've never dumped very much.   Unless, of course, you count detestably stinky GAS as dumping...?

Just take advantage of this opportunity to realize how well you can do with very little fuel in your tank!  It does get more difficult - but maintaining IS do-able!  My body seems to be happy at about 150-160 pounds lost, I've stayed in that range for about 4 years.  Some days I'm fluffier than others, but my tool is always there to help me.

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1338 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1129 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2595 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2688 views