Weekend is ALMOST HERE~

jmcqueary
on 11/8/12 1:35 am

Hey all you beautiful Minnesota Peeps!

Well I think the whole drinking while I was eating was my biggest issue.  I made it an effort to not touch water while I ate, and I started the week at 401 and now I am at 393!  I said good bye to the 5 and now to the 4's!  Its just a motivator when you hit that new number before the last two.  I have to admit that I thought the surgery was done doing what it was suppose to, and I just had it the end of May, but obviously it was just me not doing what I was suppose to!  Anyways any big plans for anyone this weekend? Hope everyone is doing well! Talk to you soon!

Sarah R.
on 11/8/12 3:46 am

Ive been so bad at that as well...really need to get back down to basics as Ive really let some of my food demons come out and play the past couple weeks! House full of deer hunting company this weekend for the 2nd weekend in a row so plenty busy here :)

jmcqueary
on 11/8/12 4:01 am

Ugh I am jealous Sarah!  Have you or your husband gotten anything yet?

Darla S.
on 11/9/12 1:17 am - Maple Grove, MN

'I have to admit that I thought the surgery was done doing what it was suppose to, and I just had it the end of May, but obviously it was just me not doing what I was suppose to! '

Allow me to shed some light on this whole deal.  Although it is always a good idea to evaluate whether or not you are doing what you are supposed to work your WLS tool, your weight loss will come in fits - going down like a staircase.  It's frustrating, because watching the numbers go down is SOOOO exciting!  When they seem to stand still for a spell, it's very disheartening.  But do yourself a favor - if you haven't already, take your measurements.  Because during those times when the scale isn't moving much, it's more than likely your body is tightening up and shrinking.  Lose weight, then lose inches.  Lose more weight, then lose more inches.  You are NOT done!   Pay attention to the way your clothes fit.  WEAR CLOTHES THAT FIT!

You  might also pay attention when you reach a weight you were at for a long time before the scale went up significantly.  For me, it was 240.  I spent the better part of my teens and twenties in that neck of the woods.  As I was losing weight, I REALLY got stuck there before I broke south again.  It seems to have been a common issue with many WLS peeps I've gotten to know over the years.  Again, DON'T THINK IT'S OVER!  The best thing you can do to break a 'plateau' (and I'm not going to get into the whole debate over the definition of a plateau) is change SOMETHING up.  Your exercise habits.  Your go-to protein sources.  The times you eat, the number of meals you eat, sometime you even have to INCREASE your calories a bit with a low-fat, low-sugar protein addition.

I would even argue, you are NEVER done!  I'm over 5 and a half years post-op, and when I choose to behave and follow the rules as I did those first couple of years, I can drop the pounds, too.  It's not as easy, and yes - some of those evil habits have a way of creeping back in, but you are always in control of your choices.  It's a head game.  I once read that in the 'honeymoon phase' post-WLS, the weight loss is 80% tool, 20% mental control.  After a while, that switches - it's 20% tool, and 80% mental control.  The thing you have to do during that honeymoon phase is really wrap your brain around this new relationship with food.  It's FUEL, not recreation.  Change your habits, be aware that they are permanent changes.  You can't expect to lose the weight, then go back to the habits that made you obese in the first place.

I've been in this state they call 'maintenance' for probably 4 years, bouncing up and down the same 5-8 pounds.  I'm about 15 up from my lowest (totally normal and expected for WLS people), and I'm happy.  Would I like to lose more weight?  ABSOLUTELY!  And, I know I can do it if I set my mind to it and treat my tool like it's brand new.  But hey, life - and stress - happens.  And there's no such thing as perfect.  HANG IN THERE!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

jmcqueary
on 11/9/12 1:56 am

Thanks Darla! This really was a great response that I can use! Glad to know I'm not done! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1363 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2607 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2693 views