Winter Doldrums Weigh-in

rjsams
on 1/27/13 11:33 pm - Eagan, MN

Good Monday morning, all!  It's been pretty quiet out there, how's everyone doing?

My weight's been up, my motivation down.  I confess I'm very tired of the cold and dark--if there was decent snow for snowshoeing or skiing, and it was a bit warmer, I'd be happier, but I can't wait for spring.  Nevertheless, I keep telling myself that winter running makes summer races better.  And keep on telling myself. 

Last time I posted, I was at 141, today 143.6.  I'm actually happy about that, because I was over 144 last week when I didn't post, so this is a downward trend, LOL. 

I'm working on picking up my mileage--6 mile run yesterday.  I've been a bit too easy on myself after a treadmill incident last week, still feeling the bruises from that one.  Gotta get back on the plan.  To that end I signed up for the TAJI100, which is a commitment to walk or run 100 miles during the month of February.  That is about 3.5 miles per day!  It fits with my other goals for the year, whi*****lude running 1000 miles during 2013.  TAJI100 benefits the Wounded Warrior Project, which is also a cause I support.  You can join the challenge at http://taji100.com/ or support the cause at https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/group-fundraising/ taji100/

rjsams
on 2/4/13 12:17 am - Eagan, MN

Still in the winter doldrums, so I'll just reply to my own post.  Anybody out there?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Last week at 143.6, this week at 144.3, so I'm going in the wrong direction.  However, I ran six very hard miles on Saturday on the snow and ice, and my quads are sore.  Still, I went to the gym yesterday, before the Superbowl, and did 30 minutes on the elliptical.  Today is back to running, but maybe it will be warmer and the sidewalks clear enough to run outside tonight after work.

I have my DD's dog this week, who is a great running partner, and I haven't gotten to get out and run with her yet.  She's feeling it, too.  It takes this dog a good 8 miles before she's remotely tired.  I'm hoping she can give me the motivation I need to get out the door and put some miles on.  It's the 4th day in on TAJI100--I am 1/8th of the way to my goal of 100 miles in the month of February. 

So what's up with everyone else?  How do you deal with the winter doldrums?  Do you embrace the gym?  Exercise videos?  The Wii Fit?  Or do you do something outside?  Or cocoon indoors on the couch?  Which option gets you closer to your goals?

Despite the fact that my weight is up this morning, I am feeling okay about the direction I'm headed.  Sore muscles are a sign that I am improving my fitness, even if it doesn't show on the scale. 

rjsams
on 2/11/13 1:46 am - Eagan, MN

Since I still feel like I'm in the winter doldrums, I will just keep posting in this thread.  Not too many people interested in participating in the weigh-in, I guess.   I hope its not because you are all feeling up in weight and down in motivation like I have been.

Last week I was at 144.3, this week at 144.0.  Not much of a change.  Still hibernating indoors and not getting as much running mileage in as I should.  It is 11 days into February, and I have 33 miles in for the TAJI100, so I am a little behind.  But that is misleading because it includes some mileage on the elliptical, which grossly overestimates the miles.  I am physically incapable of running 5 miles in 30 minutes, but the elliptical consistently says I do   Anyway, I would be happier down about 5 lbs, but that will happen once spring gets here and I can get out to run more. 

We have a great group signed up for the 100% Irish for a Day 5K and two of us doing the 10 miler on March 9th.  We have an even bigger group signed up to walk or run (or a combination of both) at the Challenge Obesity 5K on April 20th.  Anyone who would like to participate, please let me know.  There will be people to walk with if you are a walker, so don't worry that you are "too slow" or anything.  There is plenty of time to get in shape to walk a 5K by April 20th!  We have a team set up called the "Formerly Fat Friends" and we welcome anyone to join us.  Its a nice morning walk around Como Lake, and then we will be heading out to breakfast.  (Have to carb load after our walk/run, right?)  Hope to see you there!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1354 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1140 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2606 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2692 views