Recent Posts

kimtree
on 8/12/19 6:13 pm
VSG on 04/02/18
Topic: Valleyfair

I just went to Valleyfair yesterday. I haven't been there in about 7 years and didn't know if I could fit on any rides. Valley fair website made it kind of scary because it says that larger people may not fit on the rides. I am currently 5'2" and 205 and between a 14 and 16 size. Most of my weight is carried in my middle, especially my lower belly. This experience gave me a tremendous amount of anxiety and I was prepared to not go on any rides. My daughter and two nieces were with me and I didn't want to miss out on the fun. Before going, I spent a great deal of time researching whether or not larger people could fit on rides. I found a post from a member here, but it was posted back in the early 2000s. Granted, I didn't go on all of the rides, here is my experience.

The first stop was Steal Venom. I didn't even try this because I had read that it was difficult for larger people. There is a sample seat at the entrance of the ride to try out. Honestly, I was too embarrassed to try it! I started on the Flying Eagles and had no problems. Next ride for me was the Antique cars. Also, no problems here. I went on the Scrambler next. There is a seatbelt restraint as well as a bar across. It was a snug fit, but it worked. The bar was jammed in my belly, but not too uncomfortably.

We ventured onto the Wild Thing after that. I had no problem on this ride either. There is a seatbelt restraint and then each rider has a lap bar that comes down. The bar didn't come down very far for me and it was tight, but it worked. I was able to make it through without being overly uncomfortable. Plus it was a fun ride! The last ride I went on was the Power Tower. I couldn't pull the bar down as far as it needed to go. The girl went through and gave it a good push and it was fine. This was another fun ride.

I know this is not a lot of information, but I hope what's here is worthwhile.

Yelena K.
on 4/24/19 10:50 am - Plymouth, MN
Topic: RE: All In The Family

Thanks for the update Darla!

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

Darla S.
on 4/9/19 12:56 pm - Maple Grove, MN
Topic: All In The Family

Hey all - me again. It's been a very long time - again. But life happens! That's why we did this, right??

On 4/15/19, my precious daughter will be having the VGS at Methodist. I'm so excited for her!!! And yet sad, because THIS group, which was one of my primary sources of support post-op, is all but dormant. I wish I knew how to kick it back into a thriving, active group! She has an almost 3 year old son, and her bf works second shift, so getting to the PNC support group meetings will be a challenge as she has no babysitter available - besides yours truly. And at least to start out, she really wants me to go there with her until she feels more comfortable (she didn't get her shy gene from me!).

Anyway, I'm coming up on my 12 year surgiversary, and still thankful every. single. day. My highest (that I know of) was 377. I'm currently 190. At 5'11", I'll take it! I hovered around 225 for a decade, but was in a very bad car accident back at the beginning of November. Had a long list of injuries including 11 broken bones (ribs, hand, collarbone, vertebrae), brain bleed, ruptured spleen, on and on.... when I was released from the hospital, part of my pain management included 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. I was too messed up to question their Rx, although I KNEW I shouldn't have ibuprofen, so I only took it every 12 hours - alternating with acetaminophen. 10 days after I was discharged, i was re-admitted with significant bleeding ulcers. One was 8cm! In my little RNY pouch, that's a lot of real estate! It has messed with my ability to eat even minimally, which I'm learning to manage. But I did drop almost 40 pounds - was down to 188 at my lowest after the accident. (Do you have ANY IDEA how SURREAL it was getting lectured by the hospital dietitian for having lost too much weight? Hell, I took at as a small silver lining to an otherwise horrible situation - FINALLY BROKE THROUGH TO ONEDERLAND!!! )

I've since been admitted 2 more times, because of the bleeding ulcers. It's f'n miserable, I'm not kidding. DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN!!! Even if it feels like acetaminophen won't touch your pain, you do NOT want bleeding ulcers - just trust me on that.

Anyway, anyone *****ads this, HI! Send up prayers and good thoughts for my daughter if you're so inclined - I so want her to succeed with her tool! God bless you all, and by all means - LETS GET THIS PAGE MOVING AGAIN!

Darla

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

vacationlover
on 1/25/19 6:38 am
Topic: My recommendations (VSG and Plastics)

Hi! Just wanted to post my 2 recommendations here.

Had my VSG at St Louis Park Methodist with Dr Jones, and had a great experience. I'm almost 8 years out, and no complications.

Had a 360 body lift (torsoplasty) and BL with Dr Fasching in Plymouth a little over a year ago, and no complaints. There was one part in my torsoplasty that resulted in a weird "indention", and Dr Fasching fixed it for no charge after the rest of my healing was done (note, I did pay approx $300 to have the revision in the clinic instead of his office, but was willing to pay the extra for being in a more comfortable environment).

Please let me know if you have any questions :)

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Gina J.
on 11/17/18 11:01 pm - Apple Valley, MN
Topic: RE: Does anyone participate in this board?

Mary, and any other interested others,

I know your post is over a year old, but I too would like a casual coffee conversation group to meet with. I would be happy to try to organize something if people would email me . I would like to hear from at least 10-12 people so we can hopefully get 4 to 5 at a meeting . I live in Coon Rapids. Perhaps a trade off between north and south areas or a good midway point?

It's so close to holiday time , maybe a few people might want to meet before Xmas?

Please reply here or email me with contact info .

Gina

Gina J.
on 11/17/18 10:51 pm - Apple Valley, MN
Topic: RE: 10+ years out -

Darla ,

I had my RNY in January 2000. I think I even remember you , although I was less active on the group by then . I remember Holly the group mom who started it all and tons - no pun intended - of other folks from back in my olden days .I have kept off 100 LBS. (Start 278, DOS 268, now 168) so still a sucess, I guess . It's been a battle over 18 years with many drugs causing weight gain , bouts of depression , deaths in my family , several brain and other surgeries, etc . You know, life . I would do it again , it saved my life. I had four brain surgeries in six months and I never would have been able to physically go through those at 268 LBS .

It is a tool and I still struggle with emotional eating and food obsession but one day at a time. I have the most incredible husband who has been by my side this whole crazy journey.

For any. Newbies, this is Not the "easy" way out. It is the hardest thing I have ever done . There are foods I simply cannot eat , I have developed a jackhammer esophagus and have struggled with vomiting for 18 years . Finally am on medication that has decreased it by 85% and the intensity by 90%.. I would do it again, knowing all of this . I stand here today at 54, when pre-pre-surgery , at 34, I didn't think I would make it to 40. I am a blessed miracle

Let this tool work with you so you too , like Darla and I can be not perfect , but miracles all the same.

Best hugs,

Ginastringbean

gleamchaser
on 10/3/18 3:32 am - Amery , WI
Topic: RE: Surgery Went Well

Which surgeon did you use?

fomer0506
on 2/15/18 7:59 pm
Topic: RE: Park Nicollet Bariatric Clinic...Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Hi, I'm going to meet with the nutritionist next month.

How is it going so far? Any issues. With your surgery? I'm so afraid but I can't continue to live this way either. Did you lose 80lbs since Jan.? I'm 246 and need to lose 50% of my wt.

Thanks for any feedback

F

TERI R
on 12/29/17 10:02 am - Brooklyn Park, MN
Topic: RE: 10+ years out -

Howdy there Darla. I remember you and how active this board used to be. I also hardly ever check back on it, but whenever I do I am shocked by how little chatter is going on. Wonder if the medical establishments are no longer listing this board as a resource.

Hope all is well with you. Happy holidays.

SNCplus2
on 12/17/17 4:42 am
VSG on 05/07/18
Topic: Any feedback on Park Nicollet?

I am considering WLS thru Park Nicollet. I'm VERY interested in feedback from anyone who has gone thru the process with them in past year or two. (Everything I could find on this site is a few years old.) I went to an information session last week and thought it sounded like a good program, but would value any personal insights from people on this forum.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1369 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1143 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2614 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2695 views