Old timers

jw6mlan
on 5/31/11 2:09 pm - MO
It is SO nice to see posts from people who are more than a few years out.  On the Michigan Board, most of the people who are more than 2 years out seem to have disappeared.  I've always found that the OH board, even when I don't post, keeps me focused on what needs to be done to succeed.  I can't even tell you how many people I know who had weight loss surgery only to gain most of their weight back.  It is so sad because they have all the tools and knowledge to succeed, but don't follow though.  Since day one, I was determined NEVER to go back to my old lifestyle.  It is a daily struggle, but my new lifestyle and eating habits have brought me a new life.  It is something I do not take for granted.  So what does the "new guy" have to do to get more people to post?  I'm sure everyone has something to share, even if it doesn't seem worthy of anyone's attention.  Even after being 7 1/2 years out, I always find something new to share with others.  Went to the Rib America downtown and was reminded for the millionth time that my pouch is still the boss.  At least if I'm going to stuff myself with food, it was protein!  Hope all of you are doing well.  Time for bed.  God bless!

Jon
CherylParr
on 6/1/11 1:48 am - Seymour, MO
Hi Jon,
Welcome! It is great to see you, being successful after this long. It is what I need to see for sure ad I start the maintainance struggle!
Where in Mo do you call home? We all meet in Springfield monthly and there are some other groups around as well if you are interested. I am in a carb war this week, have got to strip those nasty buggers from my diet! It is so hard to understand how I can eat only a couple ounces of protein but can easily eat a whole sleeve of saltines with no ill effects! I hope that we will see you often here. Most of us read and don't post much.......
jw6mlan
on 6/1/11 12:30 pm - MO
I moved from the Detroit area to St. Louis in Nov.  I miss my "home group" terribly as it was pretty active until the mantra from the insurance companies about being a "center of excellence".  Since then, the support groups have died out a bit, but I am determined to stay active.  If I have to drive to Springfield for a meeting, I'll do that.  As much as I've talked to people about my surgery and journey, nobody understands it as much as those who have also taken the same journey.  I would like to eventually start a coaching business helping others who are struggling, as I've seen too many people risk their lives for the surgery only to go back to their old habits.  Carbs are certainly calling me on a daily basis, but I only eat them afer I get my protein in for the day.  Thanks for your warm welcome, Cheryl! 
adamsamah
on 6/1/11 2:54 am - Nixa, MO
Jon,
Such a good, positive post. It is a daily struggle for all of us - I'm 4 1/2 years out and trying to lose a few pounds back to my original goal after tummy tuck. I, like Cheryl, have to fight the carb monsters but it is so worth the effort. Losing weight has given me a life - no diabetes, no HBP and the ability to walk and work and so much more. I have rheumatoid arthritis and that will always be with me but having less weight on my joints sure helps. I tend to be less tolerant with posters on the main board who "just can't" eat protein or drink their water or whatever. It is not an option for us - it's our health and life at stake. I make the same mistakes and have the same challenges as all the other old-timers but I know what I need to do and I have the tools to do it. It is up to me to make it work. I want others, who are not so far out, to realize that it isn't magic and it is a day-to-day fight - most of us are food addicts - but we can do it. We have a second chance at a good life because of the tool we have chosen. I just don't want people to have this surgery without proper preparation and consideration because it is life-changing and requires hard work to keep all the vitamins, protein, water and other nutritional elements in balance. Our lives are so much better than before but we have to take the responsibility for food decisions instead of just cramming in everything in sight. My pre-surgery mantra was "I don't need to take vitamins because I eat plenty of food". That was a great plan. It made me fat, hypertensive and diabetic. But I wasn't vitamin deficient. I could rationalize away everything. I think most of the people who used to post on here are on Facebook now - that's there venue of choice. I think we need to do whatever works for us but remember that we need each other to hold us accountable and inspire us.
Keep posting. So glad you're here.
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

jw6mlan
on 6/1/11 12:36 pm - MO
The exact reason I am so passionate about OH and support groups is because of the accountability factor.  All of us know what to do to succeed.  The surgeon's drill it into you before the surgery.  The hard part is doing what they've told you, thus too many people are not successful simply because they don't follow though with what we are supposed to do. It is not rocket science - frequent small meals, avoid carbs, push the protein and exercise.  Easier said than done!  I vividly remember the first month out, walking about 1/4 mile and thinking "Oh my gosh, that is further than I've walked in 15 years".  Since that day, I'm bound and determined NEVER to go back to my old lifestyle.  If I can help a single person keep that same mindframe, I feel blessed.  Thanks for your reply, Lana. 
Barbara S.
on 6/1/11 10:58 am, edited 5/31/11 10:58 pm - Freeman, MO
Welcome to the Missouri Board:

It is also nice to see someone nearly as far out as I am. You are right even after this long our pouches still puts its foot down sometimes and lets us know just how big it is. I know mine definitely pushes me around sometimes. LOL

I haven't been on much due to so much trauma in my life lately. Seems one thing after another. No end.

Hugs
Barbara

Hugs; Barbara
Lap RNY ~ 4/22/2003
5'0" ~253 starting wt. 130 lb loss!
Extended Tummy Tuck with KU Residency Program
01/08/2010 ....Lost another 7 lbs with TT.

jw6mlan
on 6/1/11 12:41 pm - MO
Hey Barbara, thanks for the warm welcome.  You are definately an "old timers, old timer".  Being so far out, I'm sure you have much to offer.  I know what you mean about life trama.  In the last year I have experienced a layoff after a 25 year career, a divorce, the loss of my house,  a bankruptcy due to my ex-wife not paying her share, a reposession of my car (see previous item), and a relocation to St. Louis (the best thing that has happened in my life lately, after reuniting with a high school sweetheart).  Despite all this trama, I am proud to say I've been able to keep within my 5 lb. range of "normal BMI".  Hang in there.  Thanks for your response!

Jon
hazmat11
on 6/1/11 11:03 am
 Nice to hear from someone seven years out. I have to admit the creep has me. I have been creeping up a pound or two every month and the carbs are most likely why. Its a constant battle. Its so easy to slip back into old habits and the support of others sometimes is all that keeps us from backsliding.
Susie

jw6mlan
on 6/1/11 12:45 pm - MO
I hear you on the carb monsters!  I went to a Chamber event in Fenton this evening and it seemed like every 5th booth was passing out pasta to sample.  There is NO doubt that carbs are my downfall.  Like everything, moderation is the key.  I allow myself to take in carbs as long as it doesn't get the better of me.  Thanks for your reply!

Jon 
Most Active
Recent Topics