St. John's-Springfield Question

skinnywhatwhat
on 9/7/11 11:01 am
For those who had WLS at St John's, I have a question for you. 

From the point of approval from the psychology evaluation on the account, if there was no addition requirement psychology appointments, how long did it take for the other appointments and to get the surgery?  (This is not including what is needed to for my insurance; this is just involving what is required by St. John's)

The reason why I am asking...due to a change in insurance, the price of the surgery will increase the price tag over $2000 starting on Jan. 1st.  I just would like a clear expectations on what to expect on a timeline for appointments after the psych appointment. 

Thanks!
HeatherP1978
on 9/7/11 5:00 pm
Hi,

I had my psych eval at the end of May.  After I got the go ahead from that, I had to meet with the Surgeon and that was toward the end of June, then I had my required 6 hr class and they only schedule those once per month, and that was the end of July, then I met with the nutritionist and exercise therapist on Aug 9th.  They submitted my paperwork and as soon as I got my approval a few days later, I had to go in to do all the pre-op stuff (blood work, chest xray, EKG, etc) and was scheduled for surgery on Sept. 14.  It seems like I had one appt. per month during the whole process.  Hope that helps a little! :)
skinnywhatwhat
on 9/8/11 6:52 am
@HeatherP1978

That is what it seems it takes a month per appointment.  I was lucky with my psychology appointment because it was suppose to be in October. but due to a cancelation, I was able to get scheduled quicker.

I am hoping to met with surgeon and the 6 hours class in October, met with the exercise therapist in November, my final nurtiionist appointment will be the one needed for insurance approval as well as for the surgery on December 1.  (I needed 12 nutritionist appointments) .I am going to get everything submitted that day and hope to get the approval quick for a surgery date by the end of the year. 

Quick questions...did you have to lose more weight after meeting with the Dr. Edwards?  Also was the month between appointments due to their schedule restrictions?

Best of luck on your surgery next week!  I hope to join you soon!
adamsamah
on 9/8/11 6:41 am - Nixa, MO
Be sure Dr. Edwards office knows that you need this done before the end of the year. They were great to work with me - I had surgery on 12/26 because I needed it done before the end of the year. They want to help you.
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

skinnywhatwhat
on 9/8/11 6:58 am
@adamsamah

I called the nurse coordinator yesterday to leave a message. 

I am so glad that they were able to work with you.  I was planning to have it at the beginning of Jan., but with this change, it kind of increases the need for it now verus later.

Hopefully, I will see you tomorrow at Circle of Friends
adamsamah
on 9/9/11 12:03 am - Nixa, MO
Hope you can make it to tme COF meeting. I'll be there.
I think Dr. Edwards office will help you out.

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

HeatherP1978
on 9/18/11 9:59 pm
I was not "required" to lose any more weight after seeing the surgeon, but it is good to try to jumpstart your weight loss before surgery. The 2 week liquid diet helps with that. It seems the reason I wasn't able to schedule my appts any sooner was because of how busy they were. If you can get in sooner for your 6 hour class, that would speed things up because that class is only available once a month...hope that helps some! Good luck! Dr. Edwards is great and the nursing staff at St. Johns was awesome

Most Active
Recent Topics