New to the Board

jennilamb007
on 10/25/11 11:24 am - MO
Hi, My name is Jennifer and I am new to the Missouri Weight Loss Forum. I live in Ava, Missouri, about 60 miles from Springfield. I just finished my 3 month doctor supervised diet that my insurance company requires. I have done my psychological testing, nutrition consult, consult with a personal trainer, and preliminary consult with my surgeon and now await the paperwork to be submitted for pre-approval by the insurance company. I hope all my ducks are in a row because I am excited to have my surgery. I would love to hear from anyone who has had success with the lap band surgery because so far all I have seen is negativity. I have no interest in any other surgery. I have met several people who have had the lap band and it worked very well for them. It seems that if the surgery is a success, people get on with what they wanted to do with their lives when obesity stopped them in the past and those that aren't successful tell everyone else how horrid the process is and not to do it. I am prepared to work very hard because I want this to be a success. I work out at least 3 times a week with a personal trainer and hope to increase that after the surgery. I am ready to get on with the 3 week liquid diet and have my surgery date set. I am hoping for around Thanksgiving. We will see. I have heard that my surgeon has a good weight loss record if you listen to what he says and follow it. I plan to tattoo his regimine to the back of my hand if necessary (just kidding). My surgeon is Dr. Daniel Cardwell. I knew him prior to going to him as a patient because I floated to his floor a few times to work with his patients at the hospital. We get along good and I think that will help. I would love to hear from everyone, but especially those who have had lap band. Thanks and take care, Jen
LaToya S.
on 10/25/11 12:10 pm - Edwardsville, IL
Welcome! I am having surgery in January now (date just changed).
I am also having the RNY not the LapBand.

I can't believe you have to do a 3 week liquid diet! I only have to do 2 weeks of liquids.

Seems like you are on the right track! Good luck!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Barbara S.
on 10/27/11 5:19 am - Freeman, MO
Hi Jen, I personally had the RNY and feel what ever surgery you have chosen is your personal choice. My Daughter N Law had the lap band about 6 monhts ago is doing great! She has lost about 50 lbs or so. She is really happy with it. I wish you good health and great healing. Keep in touch on the board and leet us know how you are doing. I am nearly 9 years out. Feel free to read my journal. Hope it inspires you in some way.

Hugs and Welcome!
Barbara
Hugs; Barbara
Lap RNY ~ 4/22/2003
5'0" ~253 starting wt. 130 lb loss!
Extended Tummy Tuck with KU Residency Program
01/08/2010 ....Lost another 7 lbs with TT.

jennilamb007
on 11/2/11 10:00 am - MO
Thank you for your post. I am glad you are both doing well with your respective surgeries. I would love to read your journal and I am sure that there will be things that encourage and inspire. I appreciate your kind words.

Sincerely,
Jen Lamb
adamsamah
on 10/27/11 6:57 am - Nixa, MO
Hi, Jen.
Keep posting. I had RNY but you have to have the surgery that feels most right to you. I knew I'd cheat!!! Support is important to success with any procedure so keep in touch and see if there is a face to face group you can attend. We have a Circle of Friends group at the Library Center in Springfield once a month on Fridays at 6:30pm to 8pm. Our next meeting is November 4th. We'd love to have you visit.
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

jennilamb007
on 11/2/11 10:02 am - MO
I will definitely keep posting,especially after the surgery. I would love to attend your support group, but I work evenings at this time. Sometimes we get Fridays off and if we do I will come to the Library Center and join your Circle of Friends. Thank you for the invitation.

Take care,
Jen
L. Rios
on 11/2/11 1:13 am - Springfield, MO
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I worked in surgery at Cox for years and I was Dan Cardwells helper.  He's an awesome surgeon and will take great care of you.  Exciting times are ahead, just like you said stick to the rules! :D Lou
jennilamb007
on 11/2/11 10:07 am - MO
I enjoyed hearing from you. It is great to hear from someone who knows Dr. Cardwell. I have heard you either love him or hate him and I have to say I really love the guy. He is straight forward and accepts no nonsense and I appreciate that. I am very excited and scared too a bit. I worry that I will be one of those that no matter what I do nothing will work. I have had a lifetime of dissapointment in the weight loss arena since having children 20 years ago. I could work out like a demon in the gym and starve and still be bigger than my friends who could clean 2-3 plates at a food buffet and continue to wear a size 4. I hate them. (not really). Well, we will see what happens. I enjoy hearing what you all have to say here on the boards. Keep in touch.

Take care,
Jen
Most Active
Recent Topics