HELP! I have to quit smoking,,,Does anybody have any advice?

shellylopez63841
on 1/3/12 10:12 am - dexter, MO
Hello all. My problem is as stated above. I HAVE to quit smoking for my surgery and I'm having so much trouble. Especially considering the recent stresses of the holiday season. Does anyone have any advice on how to quit? I've gotten over the need to have a smoke when I first wake up...yay. But through out the day is the hardest for me...and after meals. I just don't know what else to do. I really don't want to try Chantix becouse of the side effects. And the gum or the patch still leaves nicotine in my system. So my only option is COLD TURKEY. Has anyone else had to go through this and if so please give me the secret on how you did it. Thanks to all who answer..have a happy NewYear!!
Barbara S.
on 1/7/12 10:38 pm - Freeman, MO
Hello, I can not relate to the smoking problem as I never picked up the habit but relate it to dieting when you stop smoking. The only thing I can offer is support and sympathy. My son quit smoking cold turkey about a year ago. Just remember why you are doing all this. To be healthy again! Have you tried a sugar free hard candy when you want a smoke? Might help....Have you posted this on the main forum? Probably more people there that can help you. Good luck on ;your journey!!!!

Hugs
Barbara
Hugs; Barbara
Lap RNY ~ 4/22/2003
5'0" ~253 starting wt. 130 lb loss!
Extended Tummy Tuck with KU Residency Program
01/08/2010 ....Lost another 7 lbs with TT.

MeAGNL8agn
on 1/8/12 4:13 am - Waynesville, MO

I quit cold turkey. I understand about not knowing what to do with your hands at first. Get one of those little squeeze balls and play with it.  Sugar free gum helps.  The main thing is like Barb said--think of why your stopping.  Besides, imagine all the new clothes that cig money will buy!!!

Sheri W.
on 1/14/12 5:29 am - Kansas City, MO
After smoking for 38 years and attempting to quit using the patch, gum, Chantix, etc., I finally quit smoking via the electronic cigarette. e-cigarette-forum has tutorials, companies, lots of stuff for people wanting to learn about them. It took me a year, I know you don't have that long. I started with 24 mg nicotine juice and tapered down to 0 mg nicotine. I still puff on the e-cig but don't get any nicotine - it's merely a pacifier now. I know I'll never smoke again - glad to get rid of the smell and the secondary sicknesses (bronchitis, etc.) Let me know if I can give you have any more questions or I can direct you to suppliers, etc.
shellylopez63841
on 1/16/12 10:46 am - dexter, MO
Thank you to everyone for their advice. I have decided to try the E-cig. I'm picking it up wed. I hope this works. It would just devistate me to have gone through everything else and then be stopped by something as insignificant as a dang ciggarette. I WILL get through this. I have no choice. And I have the strength to do it. Thanks again for all your help. It;s wonderfull to have a place like this to go to for answers to questions and advice.
Kathy H.
on 1/22/12 12:08 am - In the Ozarks, MO
 I am in the 4th month of my 3rd quit.  Experts say sometimes you have to quit many times in order to be successful. My first quit was cold turkey - 6 months.  My second quit was with nicotine gum - 6 months.  I used nicotine gum this time as well, but I followed the directions this time .  

About 2 months into this quit a friend let me puff his e-cig.  It was pure heaven, and if I had to do it over again, I might have gone that route.  I don't know that I would have ever been able to put the e-cig down, though.  Don't forget that nicotine alone lends itself to health problems, so at some point, it's going to have to go, too.  

The best piece of advice I can offer is some days you'll be fighting the demon hour by hour, or minute by minute.  Everytime you feel like you need to have a cigarette, just make yourself wait ONE MORE MINUTE, or 30 MORE MINUTES, etc. 

Never get over confident and think you can have just one cigarette-that has always been my downfall.

Best of luck.  I'd like to know how you're doing from time to time. I am new here and am unsure if I'll ever be able to get back to this forum, lol. 
nspg01
on 2/8/12 9:30 pm
I desperately needed the surgery to save my life.  I quit "cold turkey" because
it was the only way to be able to save my life.  I knew how destructive smoking was to my health and so did not try to replace the "habit" with another habit.  The surgery was that necessary for
me to live.  Did that 1 year prior to my surgery and have not looked back.  I   Had
the surgery in 2009 and can't imagine how much money I have saved not to mention saving my life being finally able to get rid of so much weight that would also, surely shorten my life.  That was
my incentive and it was enough.  I wish you well and just keep your eye on your reason for
quiting.  Which is more important to you?

Most Active
Recent Topics