First Week Diet

John W.
on 4/19/05 1:35 am - Fenton, MO
My sister is having Gastric Bypass on Monday April 25, with Dr. Eagon. I had the surgery in January of 2004. Due to some complications during my surgery I had my leak test the next day. I then went right to soft foods. Because of this, I am alittle unsure as to what she should have the when she comes home from the hospital. She and I are going to go buy her liquids that she will need, when she comes home, this weekend. What are some of the liquids she should be able to have. I know the basics, but what about fruit juice? Also is Jello, applesauce, pudding and other things like this ok? Any ideas would be very helpfull.
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/05 3:50 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I am copying this information directly from my own handbook. Your sister should have received, or will receive, something similar, but these are the things I was told to get by my dietician. ~Clear broth (no meat chunks) ~sugar free Jello (I recommend just buying the pre-made stuff...who wants to hassle when they're recovering) ~100% fruit juice (dilute with water, equal parts of juice and water...nor orange or grapefruit juice, no punches, no ****tail drinks) ~sugar free drinks (Kool-Aide, Crystal Light) ~non-carbonated sports drinks (Gatorade) ~non-carbonated, sugar free fitness waters (Propel, Fruit20) ~sugar free popsicles ~decaff coffee and tea (hot or cold) ~sugar free applecider ~plain water should make up 50% of daily fluid ~may use any artificial sweetner of choice ~sugar free hard candy...NO GUM~ One piece of advice...don't go overboard buying broth and jello. You get pretty sick of it after a while (1 can of broth might last four or five meals), and eventually, there will be a ton of it sitting in the cupboard. After the first week, she should have no problem going to the store to restock as needed...and to buy the second week diet stuff. Hope this helps! Pamela -94
Sheila D.
on 4/19/05 6:48 am - Shaker Heights, OH
Today is my last day of my first week! I can also recommend that you don't buy KoolAid with artificial sweetener. Buy it totally unsweetened and add your own Splenda! It'll taste like the real thing. Don't overbuy, just as advised. I am so totally tired of Jello and broth! Juices are good! Good luck your your sister!!! Sheila
Most Active
Recent Topics