weight loss before surgery???

Sherry W.
on 5/2/05 11:17 pm - Moberly, MO
does anyone know how much weight the Dr.s want you to lose before surgery?
Nancy H.
on 5/3/05 12:56 am - Yuma, AZ
I've heard most Docs want you to weigh no more than 350lbs. I have Dr. Scott too and he didn't tell me to lose any weight and he didn't put me on a pre-op diet. I have heard that he does with some people though.
Sherry W.
on 5/3/05 4:58 am - Moberly, MO
Dr. Scott had said at the seminar that it was good to lose weight before surgery, so I was wondering how much? I weight 298 and am trying to lose, but it's hard!
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/05 8:54 am - Imperial, MO
Here is my take on this, for what it is worth. My original choice of surgeon was del a torre, however, I was close to 400 and he only does it the lap method and you have to be 350 or less. Well I started trying to lose weight to have weight loss surgery. Talk about messing with your head even more than it is already when you are on a diet. I switched to Dr. Wagner. I met some folks who had used him and was happy with him. He does it the lap method, even if you are over 350. Now I am sure he may choose to do open for some folks but.... The week before surgery Dr. Wagner has you go on a liquid diet and I lost 20 pounds! I was already feeling better and I am sure it made it a little easier for him. I had my surgery on 4/11 and with the 20 pounds pre op, I am now down a total of 37. I was the first week having a problem getting in my protein and water but it did get easier as the days passed. I am now having now problem with either and the weight does seem to come off easier when you do get it all in. It does make a difference. Good Luck to you!
tinybear
on 5/4/05 1:40 pm - Portland, MO
Dr Scott told me that I had to lose 10% of my body weight and that is about 41 lbs. If tells that to some and not to others, I am gonna be pissed off cuz it is hard to lose this weight even though it makes you feel better. 40 lbs is alot of weight to lose before surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/05 3:30 am - Imperial, MO
It is hard to lose for some people and that is why I had surgery, diets just weren't working for me. Every surgeon is different, in many ways. If you go to a support group you may hear one surgeon says 40 grams of protein, one surgeon might say you can get that all from shakes or bars, other surgeons want you to get some of the protein from actual foods. They all vary somewhat, so please don't get discouraged. Dr. Scott was not my surgeon. I don't know if he only does the lap method or what. That was "my" case with Dr. Delatorre. Because I was over whelmed with what I had to lose to have surgery, I did go another avenue. Talk to him and find out if the 41 lbs is still true and exactly why. Talk to him about it. I have heard him speak at the OH convention in St. Louis last year and he seemed like a very nice man. Good Luck to you also.
Most Active
Recent Topics