Just found out I have to use oxygen

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/05 10:16 am - Moberly, MO
This afternoon I went to a pulminary doctor because last week I found out I have asthma and small lung disease. This is the same doctor that had to read my sleep study, but he hasn't given the results to my doctor yet. He looked over it while I was there and said that my oxygen was 77 when I was sleeping. He said I have to be on oxygen when I'm sleeping (which they already delivered). I didn't think to ask him if I have sleep apnea because I thought I was going to have a bronchial treatment, he caught me off guard. Does anyone know if this might help me quailfy for surgery? I have been denied twice, even though I have a lot of medical problems and I am only 28. Dawn Wilson
GloryGirl
on 5/4/05 11:06 am - Columbia, MO
I also have to sleep with oxygen and have for years. No one has ever told me that I have sleep apnea. They wanted me to go back and redo the sleep study because they failed to try the c-pap on me. I never went back because it was such a hassle going through the first one! And the oxygen works very well for me. I'd hate to have to use a c-pap. I expe t at some time to stop the oxygen. I've lost 113 lbs since surgery 7 months ago. However, I have not tried stopping the oxygen because it helps me sleep so well. My oxygen only drops when I go to sleep as well. It probably is sleep apnea, but if you want that diagnosis, you'll have to ask the doc. And yes, sleep apnea diagnosis will help with the wt loss surgery. However, I must tell you that I had to get clearance from a pulmonary and cardiology doc before having the surgery. So, even though a diagnosis of congestive heart failure and sleep apnea will help get the surgery because of being co-morbidities, it can also hurt you if it is not under control. Luckily mine was controlled with medication for high blood pressure and with the oxygen, so I was approved for surgery. The surgery was the best thing I ever did. I feel 100% better now even though I still have another 100 lbs to lose.
Jeanie A.
on 5/4/05 11:54 am
This should help you qualify for WLS. I use bipap and used to have oxygen at night. I slept much better with it, but Medicare has guidelines for oxygen levels they will pay for and I was above it so they removed the oxygen. I was on it in the hospital last week, though. Ahhh, fresh air! It sounds like you do have apnea, which is a lack of breathing and that would cause your levels to drop.
Sherry W.
on 5/4/05 10:15 pm - Moberly, MO
Hi Dawn, It's me Sherry, yeah it sounds like that might help! I would sure try again, you need this surgery!!! I hope you have better luck this time around!!!!!!!
Kathy L.
on 5/5/05 2:27 am - Kansas City, MO
I used O2 and cpap for 3 years before my surgery and although it did not help me get approved the surgery did its job and when I had a sleep study 2 weeks ago... no more oxygen and no need for cpap anymore although I'm still wearing it 'cause I'm so used to it! Don't worry about using the O2! Once you have your surgery your problems will likely go away. I had very severe lung disease pre-op and now have the lungs of a 20 year old.....and I'm old enough to be your mom! Kathy -103 at last count
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/05 3:29 am - Moberly, MO
Thank you everyone for your responses. I do not feel as bothered about being on oxygen now. The doctor kind of threw me for a loop yesterday. I have called his office and my PCP to find out if I have sleep apnea too, but neither have called back yet with the answer. Hopefully everything will work out for me and I can have surgery and get off of this machine. I could not sleep at all last night with it on because I can't sleep on my back. Dawn Wilson
Most Active
Recent Topics