I WANT REAL FOOD!!

Tammygm
on 1/15/10 6:54 am - MS
Well I am almost 3 weeks out and begining to think I will never eat real food again!!! I am not really hungery because I am eating the SF popsicles, Jello, SF Pudding, Cream Soups and Protien shakes but I am so sick of it already!! I am going to stick with it ...............I am not a quitter or a person who will through away an opportunity!

Just needed to vent! Cause right now a Cheeseburger and Fries sound like pure heaven!!!

I have also read how the food I will be eating has to be much when swallowed. Those of you further out eating real meals even at resturaunts .....how do you do it? Are there limitations due to what the food is? I figured I had to swear off shrimp..........it is rubbery and hard to make small enough to go down my opening. A nurse told me to NEVER eat a steak again? What are the rest of yall able to eat? I know what I shouldnt eat .......but how do I handle the foods I can eat?

Melora
on 1/16/10 8:48 am - Perkinston, MS
I had my RNY in mid-August, and I remember how hard the first few weeks were.  Your stomach needs time to heal, but it will get better.  When I go to a restaurant, I usually eat a grilled chicken salad, a grilled chicken breast with vegetables, or chicken noodle soup.  I feel like I'm going to start growing feathers.  It is easier to cook at home to get more variety, though.  There are several foods you will never be able to eat again, and there's a grief process you go through, but after a little while, when you're wearing smaller and smaller clothes, it will get easier. 

I also eat a lot, maybe too much, low-fat cheese, protein bars (that meet low sugar/fat standards), and lots of vegetables, tofu mixed in things, and protein shakes still.

Hope that helps some...

Melora

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tammygm
on 1/16/10 10:08 am - MS
Thanks so much! It is just nice to know that you can actually go out to a resturant and eat like a human being again! Right now I feel like chicken would be a God send!!

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it! :)
Kathy Thomas
on 1/19/10 10:04 am - Hernando, MS
I go to resturants and eat steak, shrimp, chicken, fish, mexican beef & bean burritos. I know that I can only eat about 4 oz so I get a doggy bag so that the left overs are another meal. You just have to be cautious when dining with friends that you are careful not to talk and not pay attention to your eating. By the way, shrimp is a slider food. I eat shrimp at home several nights a week as it is loaded with protein. I get the already cooked large shrimp from Sam's Club and thaw a dozen under ho****er. Hope this helps you with dining out.

Tammygm
on 1/20/10 7:10 am - MS
Thanks Kathy!! They told me my stomach was only the size of a large egg now and that the opening was the size of a dime and to make sure to chew stuff up enough to get it to go down.......or it must come back up! I have started eating some cook veg.....and find I really have to concentrate on chewing it well. I must have just gulped down everything that went into my mouth before!! GEEEZZZ

Thanks again for the advice!! It is great to have other to bounce stuff off of!

Tammy
DianeSchafer
on 1/30/10 11:15 am - Olive Branch, MS
Tammy I had my surgery Sept 18 and yes the first few weeks are hard but you will get thru it...I can eat most anything I want of course just a small amount..and have to go slow cause you don't know what will agree and what won't..I am one of the lucky ones I don't dump so I have tried bites of different things and it doesn't bother me however I find that I really don't want much that is sweet your taste buds do change a lot..Just be patient  I asked myself a few times why did I do this but it is paying off so far 72 pounds..I was on a plateau the beginning of the month for a week or two and started pushing my water more and it picked backup...so good luck and hang in there....Diane
Tammygm
on 1/30/10 12:34 pm - MS
Thanks Diane,

I am super paranoid about making sure stuff is chewed up! I seem to be doing ok with foods too and since I am now a month out have moved up to a few things that make me feel like I am really eating something!! Whoo Hoo!! LOL

Thanks for the advice! Always great to hear what others go through!!

Tammy
DianeSchafer
on 1/30/10 1:12 pm - Olive Branch, MS
yes it seemed like at first I was sick all the time and it was hard and noone had told me it would be that way so I could get very discouraged..sometimes still things might not sit right for a little while but soon it is ok...now the part about me not dumping is true but if I do have something that might be too rich I get real weak and have to lay down feel like I might faint so that must be my form of "dumping" just have to lay down and be quiet for a little while then I am ok  it is strange but all working out good..just things we will always have to be aware of...just make sure you take your vitamins and get your protein in ..I did order some protein powder and drinks from barriactric.com and I really like it the drinks are a little pricey but hey we are worth it and they are great when you don't have much time  the brand is "believe"  I like the mocha and the cappicino...keep me posted on your progress please...
Miss Liss
on 3/1/10 11:32 pm

I just wanted to say hang in there.  It does get better.  Those first few weeks are tough.  I am over six years out now.  It is hard to believe.  Time flies by it seems.  I can eat pretty much anything in moderation of course.  You will eat steak again one day.  We had steaks the other night.  I just have to  make sure mine is really tender even at 6 years out and chew it up really, really well.  I had shrimp on Sunday at my parents house.  Again, I can eat the shrimp I just have to make sure to eat slowly and chew them really well.  Good luck on your journey. 

Most Active