5 Month Progress with Pictures

Carly ~
on 11/30/11 4:34 am
 It's been awhile since I posted on here, I am 5 months out from being sleeved!
I feel fantastic!  I am down 82 lbs, taking me into the 200s!!!   I've lost 86 inches overall. 

I'm not noticing a big difference in clothing sizes yet, but I was so far out of the largest plus size clothes it took losing at least 50 lbs to get into size 28s again.  I've lost over two sizes in shoes, used to wear a men's 10 for width to accommodate the swelling/fat, now a woman's 9.5.

I wear some size 24s, some size 22s, some 2x and 3x.  It's all over the place, and fit into an XL stretch work out pant from Old Navy!!  First time I could ever wear clothes from a regular store, even if it's their high end sizes!  Clothing is so frustrating, because sizing is so vastly inconsistent.  Even within the same store, sizing is crazy different.

My body will definitely have issues with saggy tummy and saggy bewbies, but I honestly don't care at this moment.  It bothers me sometimes when trying on pants, because they're too big in the arse and legs, for what size I need to accommodate my stomach.  

I have so much more energy, I don't have the pain and poor mobility.  The seatbelt in my car fits, and I can sit in booths in restaurants, and smaller chairs with arms.  

I'm losing quite a bit of hair, and getting in all the protein I need most days. I'm thinking about a shorter haircut, but not sure how that will work.  For now, I think because I have naturally curly hair, it helps to mask the hair loss.  I'm scared if I go shorter, I'll have to straighten it to style it so it doesn't look like an afro, and then you'll see how thin it really is.  I can clip up my entire hair in a small little girl clip.   I will be buying some biotin soon, for sure... if it's not too late to start.

I'm not hardcore and do not boycott carbs.  I do my best to get protein in first most meals, and most days I get 60g of protein in.  My calories range from 600 to 800 daily.

I do allow myself a treat from time to time, but my tastes and tolerances have so drastically changed.  Things that used to be my food addiction, I can not tolerate, or can't stand the smell of.  
I still have issues with seeing the difference in weight loss.  When I look in the mirror, it's all fucky.  I see myself the same as I was at my highest weight.  When I look at side by side photos, I can see a difference.  

I still pick up clothes size 5x, and think in my head that it won't go near me.  I pick up clothes that I'm wearing now, and think I brought in the wrong load of laundry from the laundry room, and have someone else's clothes instead of mine.  I don't know when my head will ever catch up with the changes my body is having.  

I just saw my surgeon for a follow-up appointment.  He said at this point, I've lost 20% of my excess weight loss.  He considers 30% excess weight loss a success, and that will be another 40 lbs to reach that point.  I don't want this to end at 30%.  Hearing him say that rattled me a bit.  He explained that from a medical standpoint, with losing 30% excess weight, I would have drastically reduced my chance of getting another disease associated with obesity.  From his medical standpoint, that would be considered a success.

I'm there, and I guess once I'm at that point where my health has tremendously been improved, the vanity will kick in and I'll want to lose more weight to become closer to an average size person.  I'll keep you posted on how that plays out : )

I love my sleeve, and my surgeon and his team for giving me my life back.

Pre-op December 2010 and 3 months post-op

5 Months Post Op - November 2011

Nicole P.
on 11/30/11 9:05 am - Shediac, Canada
Congrats!! I love reading these success stories;
it gives me hope...I can't wait for my time to come.
Carly ~
on 11/30/11 3:29 pm
 Thanks Nicole! 
 I can't wait for your time to come too!  
It's as exciting for me to hear all the excitement in people who have just began their 2nd chance in life.  It brings a whirlwind of emotions over me... and I'm so newly sleeved it's like I'm experiencing it again for the first time!

Any idea on your referral and when your consult may be?

Figler5
on 12/6/11 2:05 am
Congrats to you I know what you mean I have a hard time seeing the weight I have lost my daughter edited two pictures togther for me , I now have it as my profile picture and I printed it so I can look at it every morning, every day at work and every time I go to the fridge it does keep me going and I can not wait until I lose more. Once I reach goal I am going to get her do edit a few together and get them printed and keep one displayed to remind me even if I can not see it I have changed.Keep up the great work.

sunnie41
on 11/30/11 11:04 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
awesome job. you look so happy
Carly ~
on 11/30/11 3:30 pm
 Thanks Sunnie!
I am happy, and no one can make me smile like my little boy can. 
He was the photographer : )

runfatgirlrun
on 11/30/11 3:12 pm
Carly my girl.... You are stunningly beautiful!!!! I knew you would be but still how marvelous.  You look wonderful! What a transformation! 

I totally understand the mental issue with weight loss.  Prior to this surgery I lost 100lbs on my own (I did gain a few lbs back from the 100 before surgery).  I had the same thoughts about myself. It is hard to still not consider yourself as you were before since your body still has rolls and padding.  We live with ourselves each day so we don't really see the differences as someone else would.  Self perception is a crazy thing.  With this surgery your body changes quicker than your head can get around it.

I would not consider what Dr. Savoie said about your 20% as a failure since it is not the 30% yet.  It is a wonderful thing and no doubt he would be pleased to see your progression.  I also have fears that I will not be successful and disappoint.  I have lost 27 lbs since before my pre-op diet.  I have lost 5lbs since my surgery last week. I am so scared that I still will reach this crazy setpoint of 180 lbs and not get past it like before. 180 lbs was the lowest I could ever achieve and then I would gain again.  I so want to achieve a healthy weight yet mentally I am not sure what that will be.  I also have skin sagging issues.  My body and skin elasticity is not good. Yo-yo weight loss and gain over the years has killed my skin tone.  I am hoping that strength training will help with gravity and skin tone to some extent.  If I have to girdle up my front paunch I will. 

I just so love to hear about your progression.  You have been one of the people who have helped me so much through this and I really take keen interest in you.  I did not get this private message.  I will have to check this out. I am not that IT savvy so miss stuff.

Carly ~
on 11/30/11 3:26 pm, edited 11/30/11 3:27 pm
Thanks Run.. you have a way of making the crazy stuff I think to post all seem to make sense for a moment.. lol

I must have not been totally clear when I talked about Dr. Savoie's comments...    He said my weight loss to date is remarkable, he's totally okay with where I am in this moment.

He was saying.. that anyone who has surgery, the sleeve, he considers to be a success (in medical terms) with only losing 30% of the excess body weight total.  I'm already at 20%, so I'm sure I'll make it to 30% no problem.  I asked him how much weight would take me to 30% and he said another 40 lbs.  He meant by the 16 month mark, if I lost 40 more lbs in another 11 months, he'd consider my sleeve a success from a medical standpoint. 

I told him.. that wouldn't be enough weight loss for me and I'd fight to get to under 200 lbs.  He said I could do it with a lot of hard work and dedication, it's possible, but not the outcome he sees often or statistically.  

But that was the part that kind of derailed me a bit.  I thought the sleeve was like.. 60% of excess body weight gone.  And to think all this could come to a stand still and stop with only another 40 lbs gone, kind of depresses me.  I'm so not ready for it to stop, I think it's only just begun.. 

runfatgirlrun
on 12/1/11 3:17 am
Hi Carly:

Funny that is what he said because when I took the pre-op clinic prior to surgery the staff said the same thing.  They said it in such a way as to not demoralize sleeve patients.  They said that in the first 6 months sleeve patients lose rapidly and they get accustomed to seeing this type of more accelerated loss and the results.  They said that what happens at the 6 mos mark is that the weight loss stalls a bit and some patients gain a few lbs back and then start cancelling appts.  They told us to not to cancel the appts thinking that we are failures and not working hard.  They told us that this is precisely when they want to see us to help us over the inevitable plateau.  They also really want the weight loss to slow down by the 6th month to ensure health and wellness.  They also talked about the stats they are seeing with their patients this past two years.  He probably told you this not to kill your aspiration but to set up realistic expectations. My impression with him and the team is that they really want and support their patients in weight loss so do doubt  that was where he was coming from.  You will surpass your goal! I have no doubt.  If I can get back into the mid 100's by year end next year I will be happy.  I am supposed to be 120 lbs and I weigh 210 lbs.  I have never gotten lower than 180 lbs in my life and I had to literally starve and work out twice a day 7 days a week to get there. I am so worried that despite the surgery that this really is my set point and I will never attain a healthy weight.  I am with you about this journey just beginning.  You are on the right road.  If you look back at where you were you certainly are on a great journey.

Carly ~
on 12/7/11 3:44 am
 The team is amazing.  They positively glow and you can tell that they embrace your success and are just excited about it as you are!
I think I'm supposed to be about 140ish to 150ish, but that would mean I would have to lose 100% of my excess weight to achieve.  That's why I'm going for just to weigh under 200 lbs : )
I'd be thrilled with 180, and know that would be a healthy weight regardless if it's still heavy to some people.

I absolutely think it is possible for you to get into the mid 100s by next year some time.  It'll be a slower process for you, but you can do it!  You are already at what I'd consider to be a goal for me!

You're doing awesome, and it's great to have all of you here as a support system along the way.

Keep in touch!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1046 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1902 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1754 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views