info needed for after surgery diet

Tamera Kelly
on 7/25/12 8:50 am - Fredericton, Canada
 Ok, so I only get $400 a month and am trying to figure out travel expenses, gas, ride, etc... for surgery and post-op diet, but my main question is: What do I eat on the clear part of the diet? so far I got chicken broth, water, but what else?  The dietition was out durring all my trips, so I've never had the one-on-one!

Also what should I take to the hospital? Nightgown, pillow, ebook?

Thanks for all the help!

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/12 11:02 am, edited 7/25/12 11:04 am - Musquash, NB, Canada
VSG on 10/02/12
 Hi Tamera,

I have not had my surgery yet, close I think... possibly in the next two or three (at the latest) months. I was advised the first day (day of surgery) you may not get anything... only possibly tiny sips of water. The next day jus****er and I think only one day of clear fluids... after that you are on liquid diet for two weeks (any liquid, cream soup strained, jello, boost, I have even heard carnation instant breakfast. You can make whey powder shakes to get your protein.) Two weeks after is  pureed foods, and then two weeks regular food (soft) this is what I was told and I am going for the VSG  surgery. Where are you having it done? What type and have you been booked yet?

Go to the hospital light, they have johnny shirts you can wear, take slippers to walk in and loose clothes to go home in. Whatever toiletries you need such as deodorant, toothpaste, etc

Here is the list of the things I plan on taking with me:

Clothes

Robe 

Socks 

Slippers 

Pajamas bottoms 

Loose fitting clothes to wear on the way home.

Personal Items

Small firm pillow

Cell Phone

Chargers / Cords

Reading materials - 

Reading glasses

Stuffed Animal (for bracing when coughing)

Belly Binder   =          $ 60.00

Pharmaceuticals

Deodorant

Toothbrush / Paste

Lip Balm

Breath Strips

Heating Pad for pain relief

Take care, and good luck, Danielle

Tamera Kelly
on 7/25/12 11:28 am - Fredericton, Canada
 I'm having the VSG on Aug 29th in Bathurst. It's a 3.5 hour drive for me ( longer coming home as my Dad will be driving LOL).  I guess what confused me was how to get my protein in if I could only drink clear (see through) liquids.

sunnie41
on 7/25/12 9:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
Dr savoie is not that worried bout access amounts of protein. The dietician is more worried that we follow canadas food guide. Specially at this point. You will be on full liquids by day two. I had alot of strained soups..like mushroom or cream of broccoli. Then two weeks of purees. After that you can progress into regular stuff. Purees is anything in a blender. I used baby food alot as there is such a variety and u truly eat such a small amount.
The list above for hospital items is great. I didnt read alot. Walked alot and i had the tv for when i didnt. Pillow is important so you can press against your tummy driving home. I wouldnt bother with a purse or money either unless you want to buy a paper or mag. Just stuck my hospital card and medical card in my pockets. He will write you out perscriptions when you leave.
Good idea to get prepared. Good luck
beeker13
on 7/25/12 11:30 pm
When I went to Moncton in February, I didn't bring pyjamas- I relied on the johnny shirt.  I was too groggy and slept alot after my surgery.  I was more alert the following day before I left for home.  I just brought toiletteries (toothbrush, paste, lip gloss/balm, hair brush, lotion and hair clip/elastic).  I brought a magazine, but didn't read it and I didn'****ch much tv (next day before leaving).  I did bring a big stuffed animal for the drive back to hold against my tummy on the way home, but again, I was pretty out of it during the drive home.  I didn't bring a purse or money- I gave my id and medical card to my spouse.

I was on clear liquids for a couple of days, then liquids after that for 2 weeks.  It is very hard (at least for me) to get all the liquid you are supposed to get in you (at least in the beginning).  Just take as much as you can to ensure you do not get dehydrated.  I had broth, cream soups (strained and a little more liquid than thick), protein shakes (they have some at costo with 30 g protein), jello, apple juice, coffee, tea (although I had ver small amounts- couple of mouthfuls in all), crystal light.   Then the purees start.  For 2 weeks you can have anything as long as it is the consistency of applesauce.  The blender becomes a new best friend.  I would take whatever the family was having for supper and blend mine (spaghetti and sauce, chili, mashed potatoes and veggies, chichen and gravy, etc).  I didn't enjoy this much because I am a texture person and even though the food tasted fine, it felt weird to me.  Then 2 weeks later you start on your solids.  I started the first couple of days with soft foods, but found I was able to tolerate "harder" ones as well.  This is a learning experience because some people can go back to eating the same foods as before and some not.  To this day, I still cannot eat bread (unless toasted).  Also, depending how hamburger is cooked and may or may not be able to eat it.  I have not gone near steak or roast beef yet.  I can handle chicken and fish (but my step son has an allergy to fish and seafood so I rarely have the opportunity to eat it at home) and pretty well any other food that I had prior to surgery.

Good luck and if there is anything you need, just let me know!
beeker13
on 7/25/12 11:33 pm
Oh- and wear something comfy for when you come back (gym pants, yoga pants- something with elastic waist).  You will be swollen and you don't want something cutting into you during your drive back!
Prinnylynn
on 8/13/12 3:05 pm - Canada
Well I was just discharged today. I had my surgery on Aug 9th, I was not allowed to have anything that day...dont worry its the last thing you think of, you will not be hungry. The next day I had juice for breakfast, chicken broth for lunch (heavenly after all that boost), more juice and broth again at supper. After that I had carnation instant breakfast (always vanilla gag), cream soups, ensure and boost juice (horribly sweet) but you could also have juice and water too. The dietician will see you the morning before you come home. She will go over the whole diet thing again before you leave. You stay on full fluids for 2 weeks, then can go to puree diet for 2 weeks then to soft foods for a week or so until you tolerate normal food. I find it hard to get my water in because I am so full!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1043 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1898 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1751 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1750 views