Hernias

karasmom
on 12/5/14 7:52 pm

Any body with the Bathurst clinic ever get opened up for surgery only to get closed back up because of a hernia?  I've heard this can happen and am now TOTALLY FREAKING OUT!!!!

bigchris
on 12/6/14 1:42 am - Canada

I had my operation in Moncton and they operated on my hernia the same time the did the sleeve. they told us at our all day class that if they find a hernia they fix it at the same time it like a two for one deal they said. I had know idea I had one to they told me down in the operating room when they were getting me ready to go in the operating room and they explaned to me what was going to happen before and after the surgery that's when they said they where going to fix my hernia I said i didn't even know i had one i guess they saw it on my x-ray or ultrasound so don't worry about it if you have one they fix it

karasmom
on 12/6/14 1:50 am

It is my understanding they don't fix them up in Bathurst.  Instead they see you back up and send you on your way :(

sdpr73
on 12/6/14 9:26 pm - Canada

Up in Bathurst, a month before Semerjian did my VSG, he did a scope to see if I had a hernia because at the pre-op clinic we discussed my severe acid reflux/heartburn.  Depending on the severity and location of the hernia (can't be close to esophagus if I read somewhere correctly ?) he would have just fixed it during surgery if need be.  Close to esophagus may mean you could need the RNY instead, but give his office a call to calm your nerves.

karasmom
on 12/6/14 9:35 pm

Thanks sdpr.  That helps to calm my nerves quite a bit.  I am meeting with the anesthesiologist on Tuesday and plan on addressing my concerns with the team then.  I never dreamed this could be so stressful!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1046 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1902 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1754 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views