on 8/8/16 7:28 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Hi,

Here is my 3.5 month post-op wrap-up.

Pre-surgery weight:267lbs

Today's weight: 207lbs

Total lost: 60lbs

Goal weight: 160lbs

I am feeling awesome! Went off track during my 3 week vacation but got back on right after. I did not gain any weight during my vacation (still lost at about my usual rate) but was not doing too well with protein and water intake. I had also taken off my fitbit.

I am still having a hard time with water, on an average day I get about 32oz, which is half of what my minimum should be.

I get a bit sad sometimes when eating something really delicious and can only have a few bites. I tell myself that that's a good thing and I would not change that for the world. Just want to put that out there because surgery changes your stomach but not your head. My head still need to play catch up sometimes.

The new surgeon has started in Moncton (Dre Christelle Theriault) apparently she is the nicest person....wonder if I will ever meet her?

I still go to see the physio every few weeks for exercise advice and to keep me motivated and I went to see the nutritionist a few times after surgery as well just to make sure I was on track.

Trying hard not to buy too many new clothes...but having a great time trying stuff on. I have been going into new stores and I love it.

And one thing I have noticed....I don't sweat anymore. Summer used to be brutal and uncomfortable. I have not had that issue this summer, which is AMAZEBALLS!! lol

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

KL_Girl
on 8/9/16 3:24 am

WOW!!!!  You have done just AMAZING!!!!!!!  I have one question though.....what is the reason you can't get your water in?  I love water and really don't drink much else.....just can't imagine that I won't be able to drink all the water I want....

I can't WAIT to eat something I love and NOT be able to fini****!  That seems to be one of the problems that got me to this point!  Good for you!  I have started telling myself that I will not be able to eat stuff, TRYING to prepare for that point....I hope it helps me!

I also like your last comment.....I sure can't wait to not sweat anymore by just doing nothing!  LOL!

I can't wait until I start my journey....feel like I cannot do anything as the extra weight I have on will not allow me to do much at all....I really feel like a bump on a log.....can't wait to have surgery and start feeling lighter and being able to do stuff again! I was just referred in April to Fredericton.....so wait is sooooooo long.....but soooooo worth it....

Thanks for the update!  Hope you keep doing as well as you have!  Please keep us posted!!!!!  WAY TO GO!!!  So proud of you!!!!

AMAZEBALLS
on 8/9/16 11:30 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Thank you!!!

I used to drink 64oz a day before surgery. Here are a few reasons why I am having a hard time with water...

-we can't drink 30 minutes before eating and one hour after

- i can't take big sips and have to wait a bit between sips ( i was like this before, but worse now)

-feels like my stomach is full when I try to drink a lot

-I have a life hahahaha....I work and I have kids. Can't just sit there and drink all day.

-i am practically never thirsty (I was before surgery) so I don't always think about it.

I do try to have my water bottle with me everywhere I go.

I am a bread/pasta lover and don't eat much of it now. It takes up too much room in my tiny stomach and I need to save the space for protein. Mmmm sandwiches J

Yes it is soooooo worth it. I really started to feel lighter soon after surgery! It's unreal J

Good luck to you and I hope it won't take too long!

I will keep posting. This forum isn't too busy so I try to post as much as I can because I know people do read the post even if they don't post themselves.

amandajean35
on 8/9/16 6:29 am - Canada

I had a hard time with water too. I had to try different bottled water and now I only drink eska. My stomach would hurt every time I drank a different kind.  I talked to dr b (Moncton) and he said some people do have issues after surgery with water intake and to try different kinds something about there are different minerals that might not agree with your new stomach.  It took me almost 6 months to find the right kind that my stomach to take. 

AMAZEBALLS
on 8/9/16 11:34 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Thanks!

I will try different kinds to see if it helps.

Cindy F.
on 8/9/16 11:53 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13

Congratulations on your success, you're doing so well! My sister is having surgery with Dr. Theriault on September 2nd (she could have had it in August but just couldn't swing the time off) and she says she's lovely. I'll meet her post-op after her surgery but doubt I'll run into her otherwise as I now have annual appointments with Dr. B (I'm three years out).

I know what you mean by being a bit sad when eating some times. This will change as your stomach stretches a bit but starting out, there is a some mourning. It would be nice to have a bite of everything, but you physically can't.  I missed not being able to have a bite of a roll with my meal and then a bite of dessert after but you physically can't, in addition to it not being sound nutritionally. Your eyes and mind miss it.

You mentioned the heat. Don't be surprised if you're freezing this winter. I was never bothered by the heat or cold but now lounge in bed with two electric blankets on, one under, one over (but turn one off and one down to low during the winter, and both off to sleep outside that season), and I have an electric space heater on at my feet all day at work outside of the summer months. You may not but this was a change I hadn't thought about. Also, my hair, which is thick and coarse never quite bounced back to the way it was pre surgery, it's texture is good but it hardly grows now! I lost some hair about four months out and it last a short time but it just made my hair 'normal' so that was welcomed for the summer!  I've also had small cavities on a regular basis since surgery. I go every six months and my dental habits haven't changed so it's odd but I've heard of others having that issue as well.

Of course, there are many, many, MANY positive things that have happened post op but these are few of the ones I hadn't heard / thought about before experiencing myself.  Please keep us posted and may you have continued success.

Referral sent April 2004 / First Consult-Moncton June 2012 / Surgery - February 2013

5'6" / Pre-Op 355 lbs / Current Weight 185 lbs

AMAZEBALLS
on 8/10/16 9:11 am, edited 8/10/16 2:12 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Thanks! Congrats on your success as well and good luck to your sister! Must be nice for her to have you for support and advice!

I also miss having a bite of everything! You know exactly how I feel :)

I am always cool in the winter and my feet are always cold in the summer. Nice to know that it will probably get worse! Hahaha thanks for the heads up.

There is also hair loss...hope I don't lose it all lol

Yes absolutely more positives than negative. This was truly a blessing!

better_life_ahead
on 8/9/16 10:09 pm - Moncton, Canada
VSG on 02/14/12

Congrats on your success so far! 

I'm about 4.5 years out and still having issues with getting water in. :( my problem, i rather have coffee and dont take the time to focus on water.  however i still try to keep a few bottles around the house and always bring one when i leave the house.

only time i can really drink lots is when i'm working out

AMAZEBALLS
on 8/10/16 9:13 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Thanks!

I don't drink anything other than water and my premier protein drink. Hopefully it will get better :)

CTelly
on 8/10/16 1:53 pm, edited 8/10/16 6:55 am

I am so happy for all of you!!!

Have to say that it is a great comfort to sit at my computer and read all these amazing stories

my journey has started, but it is just beginning( no surgery yet, waiting on date with Fredericton) 

to know what to expect is a great comfort as I am a planner through and through!!

Congrats on all you successes Everyone, and thanks again for the info! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1047 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views