Gastric bypass

Sunnyskiesahead
on 9/22/16 4:48 pm

Has anyone had the Gastric bypass?  Dr. Theriault felt that was the best option for me.  Would love some information.

AMAZEBALLS
on 9/23/16 11:17 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

I had the sleeve myself so can't really comment on the bypass. Monique, the nurse at the hospital, told me Dr. Thériault does more bypass that sleeves. Everyone's situation is different and I would ask the doctor why she prefers one surgery over the other. Both surgeries are great however I believe long term success is based on the work the patient puts in.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Sunnyskiesahead
on 9/23/16 11:22 am

I think it must be determined by the questions that I had to answer.  How much you eat and exercise, and the reasons for being overweight.  Also, whether there are any health issues that would put the person at risk having the bypass which is a longer surgery.  I totally agree with what you say that it is a tool for weight loss, and not a quick fix.

KL_Girl
on 9/27/16 9:37 am

My sister had an RNY done in Alberta in November 2015.  He is doing great!  Not sure what info you are looking for though....She was also given the choice and chose the RNY.  Supposedly it is the best one out of all surgeries.  I discussed this with her and I would have wanted to get the RNY also, but I believe the doctor I will be seeing only performs the sleeve....which is fine.....anything is better than this!  LOL!  Let me know and I can help!  So glad you are getting close!!!!

Sunnyskiesahead
on 9/27/16 10:11 am

Thank you so much for responding. I would love to know how she found the recovery time; is hair loss a big problem?  Does she find she is losing weight consistently each week?

I did some research and the RNY is the best surgery for the long term and then when I met with my doctor she said it is the best for me because it is the only one that has an impact on metabolism. 

It is an exciting, but scary time when you finally get the call.  Just want today to be my surgery day. lol  If you could get your sister in touch with me that would be really nice.

Have a great day!

KL_Girl
on 9/27/16 10:58 am

She's on here, I'll try and get her to look at this thread and reply to you.  She did very well with her recovery.  She found the day she got out of the hospital pretty horrific but gradually got better.  With everything my sister and I have discussed, it's pretty much the same recovery as people who have been sleeved.  She did have hair loss, which is normal whether you have been sleeved or had the RNY.  Just like the sleeve, she has lost but ha**** a couple of plateau's.  She is at one now.  She watches her sugar and carb intake and exercises like cra_y!  I told her that with all the exercising, she may be gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.  She is very sensitive to anything with Sesame Oil in it.  If she eats something with that in it, she will be sick.

I will tell her to look up this thread and ask her to respond to you.....no fear....she is doing great!  She is in the Alberta Forum.....

Take care....

Sunnyskiesahead
on 9/27/16 11:04 am

Thank you very much.  The forums are very helpful because people that gave gone through the surgery have the best information. 

Here's to a bright future!

KL_Girl
on 9/30/16 1:53 pm

Sorry, my sister said she has to be approved to post on the NB board so that is what she is waiting for to reply to you......I think she may have done something wrong though.....she said she has been waiting for like 2 days....hope she gets it figured out soon so she can reply to you.....

Sunnyskiesahead
on 9/30/16 3:27 pm

I look forward to hearing from her.  Hope she is able to figure it out.  I am feeling inspired by the information you gave me regarding the Every day I hope the phone will ring for my all day session because that means it is getting close.

KL_Girl
on 10/5/16 3:42 am

LOL! She can't figure it out!  Here is what she said to tell you.....this is her quote.... 

'I chose RNY to lose the most weight I could, that I will be on vitamins and minerals for the rest of my life.............that I had now lost 81 pounds.....................and for me it was totally worth it and I would do it again.  I'm doing well and managing very well since my surgery.'

She had her surgery in November 2015......

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1047 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1902 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views