It's done... the good and the bad that no one talks about

CTelly
on 2/3/17 11:14 am

Well My sleeve was done Jan 30th By Dr Boisvert in Fredericton 

I woke up in recovery after being poked 4 times for a IV...to screaming swearing frantic man in the bed next to me 

OHHH was I nauseated...they gave me Zofran and Gravol

I was only semi with it when they wheeled me up to my room, Hubby right there with me 

then they asked me to wiggle over to my bed ...are you kidding me, I wanted to vomit, and scream 

once in there the nurses gave me more pain meds, and washed all the iodine off me 

I am not going to lie, the nausea and the pain was bad, but the meds worked and it took the edge off for me 

I felt like I had to pee a few hours later, and the nurses got me up to the bathroom for the first time 

it felt like my guts were going to fall on the floor, and I got there and nothing ..my bladder hadn't woke up yet 

Dr Boisvert came in and said everything went really well, that my liver was shrunk great to this little pink thing that he had no troubles working around.!! ya me, I did something right 

then night was not that great they had me up every 4 hours at least for vitals, and pain meds every 2-3 hours so there wasn't much sleeping going on, my tailbone was in so much pain from sitting with the head of the bed up all night 

the morning I got up and I Pee'ed, yippy for me, I was so happy. washed and was able to make it back to the chair( that hurt my tailbone even more) 

then it was the dreaded swallow test, so go down to the xray room step UP on the machine ( that was a challenge because of the pain meds I was not to steady on my feet) the gastrografin that they gave me tasted like sweet, salty, bitter, ASS...and HE KEPT SAYING SWALLOW I wanted to say have you ever tasted this crap, I would like you to try to swallow after having most of your stomach removed...BUT I PASSED..nedless to say I would not want to do that Ever again 

Back to my room and Dr Boisvert was in to see me agian, said I could have water and ice chips to melt in my mouth if I wanted, well let me tell you after the nasty stuff I had in xray I welcomed water, 1 oz was all I could muster, and then the gas started 

Did 6 laps around the unit on day 2, just to get the gas moving...Its no joke...Its real 

that night the resident came to see me checked my drssings, told me not to be a hero and take the pain and nausea meds( so I did) and try to keep sipping 

on the 3rd day I was cleared for full fluids, was able to keep down a small amount of boost and some milk but that was it...Dr Boisvert was in again and told me I could go home.I was elated as I was not sleeping at all, my roommate was not the quietest person, and my tailbone was killing me, I took on last dose of pain meds and came home.

I thought that it would be all rainbows when I got home, but I have slept in the chair the last 2 nights, as getting out of the bed is just to painfull, still have nausea, so I am taking the gravol at least 2 times per day. The only way I can drink anything is to walk while drinking, as the gas is so bad, Oh and my Bowels have started working only...well lets just say very loose. 

today I have managed 1/2 protein drink, and 1 full 581ml Gatorade..I thought that was a great feat...my back is sore from overcompensating for my tummy pain, and last night I thought that I was going to die because I started into a coughing spell...

It is better today, and seems to get better each day, Oh and the exhaustion is real...Napps at least 3 times per day...

just wanted to post reality, this is mine, it is getting better, and I know that it had a major surgery..so I wasn\'t expecting to run a marathon after. you hear people say there was no pain, I was fine when I got home, well this is me and not everyone is the same. It is a struggle to drink wht I need, and even get from the cough to the chair sometimes...but pushing through 

AMAZEBALLS
on 2/3/17 12:47 pm - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Glad all went well. I felt horrible for about 6 days. Then I really started to feel ok.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

aliciamcknight
on 2/4/17 6:32 am - Marrtown, Canada

Glad that you are home! It was definitely was a hell of a lot harder and more pain that I expected.  Today is the first day I feel human.  I slept in my own bed last night as opposed to the recliner.  My steri strips came off today and my incisions look really really good.  I am anywhere from 2 to 8oz per hour depending on what it is.  (water, juice, tea, broth I can get down the full 8 in the hour)  I still have tenderness/pain in 2 of the 6 incisions.  and I as well tire very easy. And I caught a stupid cold on Tuesday, so that's been fun..... I have to ask - were you in room 50????  Cause my roommate was noisy too lol 

CTelly
on 2/4/17 7:27 am

Nope I was In room 47

Wierd question..did you feel like u couldn'the take a deap breath for a few days 

On the side of my stomach it's hard to take a deap breath as there is pain

I feel like my breaths areally shalow because of it.

It is getting better...but I am still not sleeping...ahhhhh if only.

aliciamcknight
on 2/4/17 7:36 am - Marrtown, Canada

OMG YES! I had some problems with breathing... 1 being that I didn't put much effort into it when I was high.  lol 2.  same thing hard to take deep breaths but you have to keep trying.  One of the Nurses told me to take 10 deep every hour to wake up and strengthen the lungs and it totally worked.  I found holding a pillow to those incision when I did it made it easier. 

zen4ever
on 5/28/17 2:56 am

Wow....thanks for the heads up. I am having mine in the next couple of months. Am so nervous. Are you glad you did it?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1043 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1898 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1751 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1750 views