Books, recipes, protein drinks, etc

masek77
on 3/16/06 5:00 am - Albemarle, NC
Books....Ive ordered 1) "Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies" by Marina S. Kurian and 2) "Weight Loss Surgery: Finding the Thin Person Hiding Inside You, Third Edition" by Barbara Thompson. I looked for a good recipe book but the choices are not good and a little misleading. Does anyone have a good recommendation for things to eat after surgery? Protein Drinks.... I checked out my local Food Lion and they had a few items but not much. I didnt want to try something and then find out that I couldnt drink it after surgery. Any recommendations? What do you drink? Im trying to make some financial plans for the coming months and it looks like Ill get by by the skin of my teeth but it can be done. I know this is a long journey and not something I can snap my fingers and be done with but it truly is maddening waiting on a seminar and then the next step and the next step, etc etc....
ANGIET
on 3/16/06 5:30 am - Conover, NC
Go to the recipe forum on this web site. There are some good recipes there for now and after sugery. Also, Atkins and Silmfast make a low carb, protein shake that you can usually find at Wal-mart. If you want something to mix yourself, I personally like Unjury and you can check them out at unjury.com and they have samples that you can order. The chocolate taste just like Nestles Quick, just a little sweeter. I've tried alot of them, and unjury is the best. They also make a unflavored to put on your food after surgery. I sprinkle it on foods that I am eating to make sure that I get that little extra that I might be needing for the day. After you get back into the swing of things after your surgery, you will find that as time goes by, it gets easier to get your protein in. Hope this helps. Angie
L_Cashion
on 3/16/06 6:19 am - Maiden, NC
Robert, I read Barbara Thompson's book before my daughter's surgery, and again when I decided to have mine. It's wonderful, it doesn't pull any punches or sugarcoat anything! As far as protein drinks after surgery....I was a type II diabetic so I HAD to drink Glucerna which is for diabetics. There was no choice in the matter. I added my own extra protein powder to it and had no trouble getting in my protein every day from the first day home. They have several flavors and its very filling, you'll laugh when you see how hard it is to get in 2 ounces of that stuff every 2 hours! As for adding other food, my nutritionist guided me every step of the way. Wherever you have your sugery there should be a nutritionist who will advise you. I saw mine every month for the first year postop and couldn't have done this without her guidance. If it wasn't on her list, I didn't eat it, simple. She was great to call and email anytime if I had questions or problems. Good luck! Lynne
masek77
on 3/16/06 7:46 am - Albemarle, NC
Did you see resolution of your diabetes? Im diabetic also and this is what pushed me over the edge in my decision to have WLS.
L_Cashion
on 3/16/06 8:41 am - Maiden, NC
Yes I did Robert. My sugar used to run in the high 200s to 300 all the time. I had to go on insulin shots for the first 3 months out of the hospital because after my surgery I could no longer do the oral meds. But finally in January I was taken off EVERYTHING to do with diabetes. My sugar now runs no higher than 115 anytime, most days fasting its 90. I feel better than I have since my 20s and I'll be 55 this summer! Lynne
tigersmom
on 3/16/06 7:58 am - Kinston, NC
Hi Robert, WALMART!! You can get your protein, and all you vitamins at Walmart, and hand wand type mixer and save a ton! Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder, less than $20. (1) scoop in 8oz. is 20 grms protein, my nutritionist approved it. Va. Choc, and straw. Taste great! I even add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the Va, sometimes, its yummy! All you vitamins you can find there for like less than $5.00 bottle. and I bought this wand hand mixer so easy to use and clean, comes with mixing cup for about $15. You'll find always low prices at WalMart. Humm...I could do a comercial for them, they should be paying me. Check it out, Good Luck! Perry W.
wetmore
on 3/16/06 2:43 pm - Woodleaf, NC
Robert, Go to www.bariatriceating.com - they have a great assortment of foods for post-op weight loss surgery. They also have a book called "Before & After" that is great reading (even if you are not a woman). It also has recipes in it. I too am in the very early stages of this journey and am scarfing up any and all information I can get my hands on. Where are you going to have your surgery? Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1603 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2664 views