Surgery at Durham

Ed P.
on 3/17/06 2:28 am - Asheboro, NC
Attended seminar on 3-10 Send payment in on 3-14 Anyone had syrgery at Durham ? I'm interested in any info to R N Y surgery at this hospital
Tim A.
on 3/17/06 4:18 am
Ed, Check out the follwing link for Duke WLSC. http://www.weightlosssurgery.us/ Tim
Ed P.
on 3/17/06 4:44 am - Asheboro, NC
Thanks I have that site looking for anyone that has had or is planning to have r n y ay Durham
Dixiegirl NC
on 3/17/06 4:48 am - ROXBORO, NC
Hi Ed, I had surgery through the Duke program at Durham Regional Hospital in Durham on 10/6/05. I had absolutely no complications and would recommend them to anyone. My surgeon has retired, but there are other very capable surgeons at the Duke program. I have had other surgeries at Durham Regional and had no complications. Durham Regional is owned by Duke. I am part of a WLS support group in town and all of us had surgery through the Duke program at DRH. No one had any problems. Write back if you have any more questions! Lori 276/201/140
Ed P.
on 3/17/06 7:49 am - Asheboro, NC
Thanks Lori Dr McMahon did the seminar and seems to be very knowledgeable. How long from the time you mail in your payment untill a date is set and your on the operating table ? Whats the avg hospital day after surgery ? 75 lbs in 5 months. Congrats I'm hoping to drop 100 in 6 months wish me luck and have your group pray for me !
Nia Prettyface
on 3/18/06 1:10 pm - Southern States, NC
Hi Ed. I went through Duke. Great people over there. They will take care of you and will educate you so you can care for yourself. Well, my waiting time was unique. It was not due to Duke, but was related to medical records/paperwork issues. So, it was 10 months for me. Average hospital stay is 3-5 days. Depends upon your surgery (Lap, RNY and the amount you weigh...and of course, complications, if any). I adore the staff there. What I loved the most was the care that was given to ensure I understood the complications, the risks, what had happened in the past, how to take care of myself before and after surgery and lastly, how to be a WLS person...and not a WLS patient all of my life. Much emphasis is given to ensuring you learn how to use natural foods to meet your WLS needs. This is so important to helping with your new eating habits. Next, they do not use patients as another way to make money. Many WLS doctors hustle vitamins, pills, sprays, protien drinks and insist it is needed...when it is not. If you decide to go Duke WLS, you have made a great choice. Wish you well. Nia
Ed P.
on 3/18/06 9:17 pm - Asheboro, NC
Thanks Nia Everyone I've meet so far have been very knowledgeable and I did not get that Amyway feeling i got at the other 2 seminars i attended in last 3 years.
Dixiegirl NC
on 3/19/06 7:23 am - ROXBORO, NC
Ed, I sent my initial paperwork fee in the end of June, 05 and I got my date sometime in August, but can't exactly remember the day. Surgery was 10/6/05, so it took about 3.5 months from the time I paid my first payment to surgery day. Now that Dr. Grant has retired and they now have a new surgeon, I don't know what their time frame is like, but you can always call them and they can give you an estimate. The day of surgery was fine. A little nausea but they put a relief band on your wrist that when you push the button sends little electrical pulses out. I pushed that when the nausea came around, and it was relieved. The day after surgery was about the same, except they get you up to walk around. Still not horrible, but I got up too soon and almost passed out when I stood up. That was the nurse's fault. She should have had me sitting up at least a couple of hours ahead of that. The day after is also the day you have the barium swallow test done to check for leaks in the pouch. That is some horrible stuff you have to swallow, but well worth it. My biggest concern was whether or not I had any leaks. Thank God they did not find any. I went home the next day. I have no doubt you will lose 100 or more lbs. in 6 months, but don't be discouraged if you don't. We all lose at different rates and it will come off, just have patience. Good luck in your journey and I will have our support group pray for you! Lori
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1603 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2664 views