Need protein suggestions please!

wendyc
on 3/20/06 1:36 am - Conover, NC
I'm having a hard time getting my protein in since I can't do chicken or turkey. I'm stuck in the same old rut w/cheese, protein bars and protein shakes. I don't want to stall w/my weight loss and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks so much. Wendy
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/06 2:25 am
i like yogurt tofu and stallone pudding i'm a vegetarian so i rely on those things. goodluck!!! susan
Sandi0521
on 3/20/06 2:42 am - Gastonia, NC
Hey Wendy, I use Blue Bunny Yougurt, it has 9g of protein, I also use those South Beach Bars, only 140 cal, with 10 g protein. You may think I'm crazy, but I have a hard time with chicken and turkey too, but for some reason, I can eat those little snackables, you know the ones with ham, cheese and crackers. I mean one of those things makes 2 meals for me, but it has 20 g of protien. Its easy for me to bring to work. If you find anything else please let me know.... Sandi
jttaurus
on 3/20/06 3:48 am - Charlotte, NC
Sandi, I'm not sure where you are in your eating plan, but I'm so picky that I don't eat yogert. I don't eat alot of beans either. I'm allowed to start fish this week, I don't like fish, so I won't be experimenting now. I'll be 4 weeks wednesday. I usually eat in 1 day, cheese, cottage cheese, baked beans, peanut butter and crackers, and milk. I will drink a protien shake as a last resort. So, I don't have much variety. I am glad to say though, by easter I will be ready to add more fruits and veggies, this is what i miss. My dietician sheet recommends pepper, lemon pepper, fat free dressing, antonnys sauce and mustard. I don't know if you've tried these. My coworker told me it's all about adding flavor to the food. SHe's one year post op and told me she doesn't miss pasta or carb, but she's put alfredo sauce on her chicken and different things to spice it up. I'll probably keep eating bland, except for buffalo chicken (franks hot sauce). No, I haven't tried the hot sauce yet.
Samara
on 3/20/06 6:55 am - New Bern, NC
Good Evening to All, Sorry to hear about Rita...Prayers are being sent her way....... As far as Protein I use the unjury Chocolate with skim milk put in in my small portable blender with ice and there ya go breakfast. I use the land lake cheese squares in the cheddar and swiss. Yogurt the blue bunny as well Carb Freedom. I still do my soups some and add protein in. I am having a very hard time with meat. I can do very little of hamburger if it is in something like sugar free spaghetti sauce. Everything else feels too heavy and I end up throwing it up no matter how much I chew or how small the bite is. I love Tropicana sugar free orange aid I freeze them.....and drink as slushies. There has to be more we can eat to get a feeling of REAL FOOD...... One day at a time.......... I was suprised to read someone eating crackers and baked beans those are starches and my dietician would not allow those until all protein is tolerated and when I can add fruit and low carbs back in down the road so hmmmmmmmm......... Sandi I would love to hear from you....... Hugs Charla
L_Cashion
on 3/20/06 7:56 am - Maiden, NC
Wendy, I understand about the chicken and turkey. I can't eat processed meat, it has made me yucky feeling since surgery. Sometimes I put ham in with an egg and some cheese for a small omelet. I add salsa to it which I never did before. I have found my tastes have changed drastically since my WLS. I try all kinds of seasoning and stuff to enhance my food. Baked beans and chili beans are another thing (pintos also) that you can really get your protein in. add shredded cheese to Bojangles little individual pintos and they're awesome. The pintos and cheese at Taco Bell are also good and a small portion and not a waste of money. All of these kinds of beans are very high in protein. Also drink your milk, either 2% or skim plain or with nestles no sugar added chocolate mix. Each ounce of milk is one gram of protein plus the milk counts as your daily quota of fluid/water. Hope this helps! Lynne
I Believe
on 3/20/06 12:10 pm - Bessemer City, NC
Hey Wendy! I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time. It is not easy, I know. I am now 7 months out and you tend to get in ruts....do you like cottage and ricotta cheese's...they are good protein, and tuna, try the albacore, it is not as fishy. All seafood it high in protein and you can cook in on the grill, or oven bake it, marinade it, etc. I love shrimp, and it is super high in protein. I also have done beans, pintos, extra cheese, etc. Just try different things and if you are still having difficulties I would suggest you contact your nutritionist. you! Nancy
wooddell
on 3/20/06 5:38 pm - Wilmington, NC
seafood is FULL of protein, not much fat, easy to digest. I eat a lot of shrimp.
jttaurus
on 3/20/06 7:05 pm - Charlotte, NC
Charla - Yes, on my nutrionist sheet is states I can have 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread toasted, or 1/2 english muffin or 2 crackers with peanut butter. Ofcourse this is an either or and not both. Yes, baked beans are great and high in protein. I don't like many foods pinto's being one of them, I don't like yogert either. I mostely eat eggs, cottage cheese, oatmeal is another approved food, however it's too hard on my stomach. Jennifer
Samara
on 3/20/06 9:01 pm - New Bern, NC
Good Morning to All, Well the rain has come I will deal with getting out in it......being I have appts all day. Trying to figure out a way to keep my bad foot dry with the funny sandal shoe I have to wear this ought to be fun. The protein issue..... we all have to eat what works it seems.....I agree shrimp works for me. I can eat about 4 if that. Wondering is anyone else doing the fit day food journal. I just started and am hoping to find it useful. I am not to the point of being allowed to add starches etc back in yet..... I have to be able to tolerate the protien and veggies first. I need to get walking or something but can not due to this foot. So GRRRRR hopefully weight will continue to come off. I wish everyone the best on the journey they may be on whether it is waiting approval, going through surgery , or adjusting to the new you and the foods we can and can not tolerate. All a blessed day, Hugs Charla
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 570 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1600 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1294 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1631 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2663 views