water and protein intake

spsc
on 3/28/06 4:59 am - Bunnlevel, NC
Please tell me how to get in my water everyday. I leave a cup of water sitting on my desk all day at work and sip, sip, sip but I'm not getting anywhere near 64 oz a day as my surgeon recommends. My protein intake stinks too. I eat 3 meals a day as recommended by my nut but I can't hold enough to get in 60 grams a day. My weight loss has really slowed down and I know its because I'm not getting enough of the two but what do I do? I hate and I mean absolutely hate the protein drinks I've tried. Isopure is horrible and makes me gag. I went to the bariatric eating web site and ordered some samples so hopefully I'll be able to find something there that I can tolerate. Can anyone recommend some truly good tasting protein drinks? I've also tried the unflavored whey powder from GNC but I can definitely taste it. Yuck!! Is the Nectar good? How about the Matrix chocolate? PLEASE RESPOND!!
Phenomenal Woman
on 3/28/06 7:53 am - Eastern, NC
You could try unflavored protein powder to add to foods that you can eat. Remember, tastebuds change and you might not be able to eat something now but in a month or two you probably will. Hope this helped Phenom
jttaurus
on 3/28/06 9:28 am - Charlotte, NC
I drink Whey Protien in Chocolate from Sam's Club - it's a huge powder tub. I will only drink this. I dislike the atkins shakes and unflavored powder powder. If you can get the soilds in instead of shakes you might feel better. I don't like Isopure either. I'm so picky. I dislike artificial flavored stuff. Good Luck, Jennifer
PeggyH
on 3/28/06 9:44 am - Northwest, NC
I couldn't get in 64 oz of water until I was almost 1 year out from surgery. I drink Propel. That is the only thing I still drink. Try getting some samples of the protein powders. There are several web sites out there. Some are better than others. I still do protein drinks once a week. I use chocolate from GNC and mix with 1% milk (couldn't do that first out because I was lactose intolerant so be careful), I mix in a carb control yogurt and sometimes still choke it down! Try cottage cheese, yogurt to get some protein in. You will lose the weight! Best of everything to you!
jamey0509
on 3/28/06 10:55 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi Pamela, I am only a newbie one week post-op so I don't want to give advice...only to tell you what I did. I could not get the protein shakes down...even the smell of them gagged me. I posted a plea for help and tried the following. First, I tried a little cottage cheese thanks to a suggestion from my angel Allison. The little ones have 11 grams of protein...not near what is needed but it helps. In addition, Adrienne Lazenby suggested the Isopure tropical fruit drinks...I hate sweet but these are tart...still too sweet for me so I take one 20 ounce Isopure (no sugar and 40 grams of protein) and pour it in my 64 ounce tub of water and then dilute it with water...it really tastes good...like a peach tea (not sweet)...that gets me more than half of my protein and all of my water. I fill the tub up in the morning and sip, sip, sip until the end of the day. Finally, I can't eat the processed soups because I have an allergy to onions, so I, for the first time, bought a butternut squash and some split peas on Sunday and made homemade soup. I got the recipes from the GENISOY protein website...I bought the Genisoy and added three times the unflavored protein that the recipes call for and it is wonderful!!! According to my calculations, 1/4 cup of the soup has 6 grams of protein. This has been a life saver for me...not only am I getting a little bit of protein, but also some needed healthy carbs. With 4 ounces of cottage cheese, one Isopure "tea", and one soup per day I am getting all of my water, almost 60 grams of my protein, and some healthy carbs. I don't know if this is right or good, but I feel soooo great. I don't even feel like I had surgery a week ago. I was in tears the other day because I just couldn't get another protein shake down...thanks so much to Adrienne for telling me about these 40 gram drinks!!!
wooddell
on 3/28/06 5:19 pm - Wilmington, NC
I like the Matrix chocolate now and for the last 2 months, but I couldn't stomach chocolate for the first 4 months. I used orange Crystal Lite, 2 scoops Anywhey unflavored (GNC**** 24 oz water and a Dannon low carb low sugar 3 oz container of peach yogurt. Run it through the blender. Not bad. Frothy, fruity, refreshing and about 49 grams protein... I sip on it all morning...it's protein and it's water. HTH.
Tamara L.
on 3/28/06 10:07 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
Hi Pam, I have found like Jamey (Hi Jamey by the way!), that the Isopure Fruit flavored waters are very tolerable if you water them down--it was surprisingly so good! Not to mention that it gets water and protein in throughout the day. I have never been able to tolerate protein shakes or anything like it. However, there is an inspirational person named Gina G. that used to post a website called "headbattles.com". She no longer maintains that site, but I learned alot from her while she did! She had WLS and gave so, so, so many great tips there! She raved about ProScore 100 Chocolate protein powder. I was extremely skeptical, but tried it. If I mix 1 packet (or 2 scoops) with 8 oz of water with my hand-stick blender very well--it comes out tasting like chocolate milk! I have one first thing every morning and it starts me out with 32 grams of protein! Coming from a protein shake intolerable--I say give it a try! Hope this helps! Tamara
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1604 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2664 views