Needed to know Info!!!!!!!!

Carly *.
on 3/29/06 7:16 am - CROUSE, NC
I know I haven't posted in awhile. I'm a guilty lurker. It seems I've been rather embarrased about my slow progress. I'm 11 weeks post op and 50 lbs lighter by my scale. Well...now that I've put that in writing it doesn't sound so bad. Anyhow back to needed to know info. I had my whole workup with the endocrinologist before I had surgery. 15 tubes of blood drawn, every test on the planet administered to make sure I had no underlying problems right? We've all been there! Here's the kicker........ The endocrinologist gave me a clean bill of health (except for high BP and low iron). I saw him last week and seems that I have had a thyroid problem all along. I have 2 nodules on my neck that have been there for years according to the doc and they are affecting my TSH levels. Hello!!! When I told them before I had a problem and could not lose weight they shrugged it off and said I needed to push myself away from the table. Sure would have been nice to know this years ago when the weight started to stay on. Thanks for listening to my rant! Carly 274/224/145 50 lbs down 79 to go
Ro Smiley
on 3/29/06 7:34 am - Charlotte, NC
Don't be discouraged about your "slow progress." I don't think it is slow at all. I had my surgery on 11/18 and I am down 66.5 lbs. I met with my nutritionist last week and she said I was doing great. WEll, hope that the PCP can get your thyroid problem under control easily. Have a great evening. Roberta
Carly *.
on 3/29/06 9:28 am - CROUSE, NC
Hey Roberta! Glad to see you and George are well. I just read back over my post and it was really whiny! I do have my moments and my pity parties when I know I should be thankful. God's still working on me! Hope to see you in Gastonia on Monday! Carly
lindansg
on 3/29/06 8:01 am - NC
I think you are doing great. I am 2 months post op on the 25th and I have lost 39 pounds. But men have a greater metabolism. If they give you thyroid medicine you will be skinny in no time. Good Luck
Carly *.
on 3/29/06 9:32 am - CROUSE, NC
Thanks Linda! I guess my biggest problem is I go to my surgery month board and I read what others who are the same size as I was and had the surgery around the same time are losing. Some have dropped 60-7- lbs. I know everyone is different but it is a little discouraging. Take care! Carly
I Believe
on 3/29/06 11:21 am - Bessemer City, NC
Hey Carly! Don't be discouraged! You are doing great and we are all different! Try not to compare yourself to others, but it is hard, I know! I hate to hear that about your thyroid, but I am glad that they finally did figure it out...duh!?!...so now they will put you on meds and we won't be able to see you, you will get so skinny! Can't wait to see you on Monday! ya! Nancy
perryla
on 3/29/06 8:36 pm - Gastonia, NC
Carly Don't make me come over to Crouse and slap you back into reality! I've already had to do that to Sandi. You are averaging 5.5 pounds a week. That sounds awesome to me. Men do lose faster, but even within our ranks we all lose at different rates. Imagine losing that much a week with a thyroid condition...what can we expect now? Also, remember that the further out we get the slower it comes off, but it will come off if we are diligent with our protein and liquids. I'll see ya Monday I hope. Larry
Krista L.
on 3/29/06 10:21 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hi Carly, I too have thyroid issues. I remained undiagnosed for many years too. I have hypothyroidism which basically means my thyroid is stuck on Low. I take daily medication to supplement what my body is not producing. It's a small pill the size of a birth control pill. It is probably really a good thing that it has at least been diagnosed because having low thyroid can cause dry skin, hair loss, brittle nails (some of the same things lack of protein causes). It can also be what is slowing your weight loss and also if you feel achy or tired or cold a lot tyroid can cause those things too. It can be a pain in the butt while they stablize your dosage, but to see less hair in the drain after a shower, it is worth it. Take Care Krista
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1603 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2664 views