Surgery Date Scheduled for 06.07.11

Lifztooshort
on 5/16/11 11:57 am
My name is Zan and I have been preparing for surgery since the end of February and I had my initial consult on 04.18.11.  Well,  initially I wanted to have DS...  My BMI is 45 so I knew that it was going to be a fight with BCBS-NC (State Health Plan.)  My partner had RNY in January of 2009, so I knew a lot about RNY.  I was concerned about not being able to take NSAIDs after surgery.   I have arthritis and crushed my foot in 1990 and have severe tendon and nerve damage.  I talked to Meghann, Dr. Sudan's administrative assistant today.  She told me at least 2 others had been turned down at the 1st and 2nd appeal.  Wow!  Guess, I initially thought I had a chance at DS. 
I began to have doubts about DS for me when I read so much about DS (vitamins 3X/day, having to eat, etc.)  I hate making myself eat now because I am hypoglycemic.  Often times I don't want to eat and I know I have to eat properly or try, every 3-4 hours or I will pay.  I take vitamins and supplements regularly but 3X/day!!!   Well, after talking to Meghann I decided that I did not want to battle BCBS only to wait and possibly never get approved for DS.  I remember an article I read that discussed a patients attitude as the key to success with WLS.  Plus my PCP had just told me there were other ways to manage my pain.  Meghann even had Dr. Sudan look at my chart in between our phone calls and he said that I had options and may be able to take certain NSAIDs.  Well, I have recently begun praticing mindfulness and decided I was going to remain positive in this situation also. 
So, I told her I would have the RNY and my surgery date is set for 06.07.11.  I am now nervous, which is out of character but I am glad to have my date.  I am also thankful for OH and all of you who so gladly share you ups, downs and all with all of us here.  Hopefully, I will make some of the upcoming groups because I look forward to meeting each of you that are close by.
Well, enough rambling...  Thanks again to each of you because I may not post but I do read.
I am  sure that what is meant to be is what has happened and I am ok with the change.  Now on to the next 22 days between now and surgery!!!!!
Zan - Life's too short...        
Believe in yourself and seek clarity.  Be your own advocate because it is your life and your body.

maggiet
on 5/17/11 1:46 am - Durham, NC
Zan, Dr. Sudan originally suggested DS but I talked with my doctors and feel very good about being able to deal with any mal-absorption issues. I don't have to take NSAIDS, that sounds like  a much harder thing to deal with. I'm getting some of my meds in liquid form so I can take them during the 1st three weeks to keep me stabilized. I'm also going to have some of them compounded. There is a compounding pharmacy here in Durham, off of Guess Rd. near the IHOP. We'll see what form they can give me for other meds. Never been to a compounding pharmacy but my BF and her partner have used them with success. Again, doesn't compare to your NSAID problem - that sounds much more difficult.

My surgery is June 3rd so I doubt I'll see you in the hospital but I'll be thinking of you. Feel free to email me and call if you'd like.
Maggie
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 565 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1593 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1289 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1622 views
NC Forum