5/23 RNY Complications

Jackie_Fabulous
on 5/29/11 7:10 am - NC
  I had my RNY done this pas Monday, and I just got discharged last night.  My opening was at 2cc's , and a normal opening is 10-15ccs, so he had to use a scope and inflate a ballon to stretch my pouch so that I would stop coughing up blood.  I couldn't keep anything down, not even ice chips.

Now I have to take these nasty steriods 4 times a day, and I am so weak!  I can't stop cryinging ether.  I am driving my family nuts and I am just not happy.  I know it takes time and what not, but I feel ILL.

Any words of wisdom?
goldstondebbi
on 5/29/11 7:59 am - Goldston, NC
Jackie-I am so sorry you are having problems. Please don't be dicouraged-I am 2 1/2 years out and 136 lbs. lost. Keep your eye on the prize and know it will all be worth it! Life will never be the same from now on. Not only the way you look, because that is just the cherry on the top, but the way you feel and the way you can embrace life!
As well as I researched my surgery, I don't remember anyone telling me about the hormone thing. I know now that hormones are stored in the fat cells and when you start losing weight all those hormones are released-this could be a reason it's hard for you look at the bright side. I had a period at 54 years old! Hang it there!
Love and light,
Deb
maggiet
on 5/29/11 9:29 am - Durham, NC
Jackie, I'm so sorry you had that complication! Of course you don't feel happy. You had surgery and had complications. You feel ill because you are right now. I hope your family can be more supportive instead of fed up with you. I'm sending you a great big hug!

But you know that these feelings are not forever. Look at how many people who post say they felt "what have i DONE" for a little while after surgery. But they all say it passes and you start losing and start feeling better. I think the other poster is right: all sorts of hormones are released right now. I wish you the best, send another hug and hope you'll keep posting what you are feeling. You need support!

Maggie

Barbara C.
on 5/29/11 12:45 pm - Raleigh, NC

Jackie,

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. Please do know that it is temporary and things do get better. That said, this journey can be difficult under the best of cir****tances. When you add a complication such as yours, it can make a difficult journey seem unbearable. The good news is that it does get better and I nearly every person I have ever talked to has been happy they did it once they get past the rough patch you are and are seeing and experiencing the benefits of the weight loss.

As Deb mentioned, it's not unusual for people to experience crying jags post op. If it is difficult to manage, you may want to contact the Psych professional with your program to see if they can help. If it is possible to attend any support groups, please do. It helps to be able to talk to those who are walking the road you are walking, even if they aren't quite in your shoes. Also be sure to come here; you will find people who have 'been there' and understand. Sometimes, it's hard for those who haven't experienced this to understand.

Be gentle with yourself. Please know that this too shall pass and very soon you will begin reaping the benefits of the surgery.

Wishing you all the best as you move forward,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

bubbylucy
on 5/30/11 11:06 pm - Raleigh, NC
I also had strictures after my RNY and had to be dilated 5 times before it was fully corrected. I would siggest if your doctor has to dilate again that he actually injects the steroid Kenalog into all four quadrants of your stoma. That is what finnally fixed mine long term. I started at 6mm I believe.

Good luck
Audra

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 571 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1603 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views