Finally done with the self sabotage (XP)

mariposantos
on 7/12/11 5:03 am - Raleigh, NC
I am ten months out from my Duodenal Switch (DS), but spent the last three months going through an emotional block. I got to my wedding weight, a weight I haven't seen in 13 years, and then mentally was unable to fathom going any further down. Worse than that, I was actually TERRIFIED to do so. So, I sabotaged myself. Badly.

I was continuing to go to my DS and WLS support groups and work through my issues with my therapist even while I knew I was keeping myself from losing more weight and getting healthy, and likely putting my health in jeopardy in the process. I have been lurking on here daily, watching as an outsider who just couldn't wrap my head around doing what I needed to do to be healthy. Let me tell you, at times reading your posts and seeing the hope and success there has been my lifeline. I thank you all for that.

Over the past few days I have finally reached a turning point, have resolved my issues, stopped the sabatoge, and resumed my healthy habits. I KNOW I am ready to move on with my weight loss and get my health in order, just as I knew before that I was not.

This is no excuse for not having taken care of myself, it is just my reality. I wanted to get this all out in the open to start fresh with my journey, as well as to let anyone else who is struggling know that they are not alone.

Pamela
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 5:54 am
Good for you. You can do it. It is never to late. Sometime we all just need a little break from things. 

Amy
Barbara C.
on 7/12/11 12:05 pm - Raleigh, NC

((((((Pamela)))))),

Know that we all do this to one extent or another at one time or another. Many do not allow themselves to recognize it, much less do anything about it. Congratulations recognizing and grappling with such a difficult issue. Even more than that, I truly applaud you for being so open about what can be a very difficult issue. Many who are struggling, hide their struggles. This tends to be more common than not and that means that so many of us think we are struggling alone, when that is far from the case. When we share our struggles and what we are doing to deal with them, it helps us and those around us.

Thanks so much for being you.

Congratulations on your breakthrough.

Hugs,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC