Five years ago today my life changed

Barbara C.
on 6/4/12 9:51 am - Raleigh, NC
Five years ago today my life changed when I had weight loss surgery to resolve my health issues and lose the excess weight I had been carrying since I was in grade school. I am delighted that the health issues I had that led me to investigating and finally having weight loss surgery have resolved and I am maintaining the loss of the excess weight.

My Type 2 Diabetes Melitus (T2DM) has resolved with an HbA1C that runs between 5.1 and 5.3, so I no longer take medications to keep it under control.
My blood pressure which is normally about 100/65 is excellent and had dropped about 20 points.
My LDL and HDL cholesterol is fair, but considering my family history of high cholesterol, I'm delighted.
My Hereditary Hemachromatosis is well managed; I have not had a phlebotomy since my surgery.
My breathing while I sleep is much better and I no longer use a CPAP to ensure that I get enough while I sleep.

My quality of life has really gone through the roof. Among other things:

I can fit ANYWHERE; an airplane seat, booths, turnstiles, amusement park rides, etc...
I can buy clothes in any store, as long as I have enough money in my purse.
I can handle the heat of the summer so much better.
I can work in the yard without passing out.
I can tie my shoes or paint my toenails and breathe at the same time.

During the past five years, I lost all of my excess weight. I experienced a regain. I learned how to leverage the power of my tool, taking off the regain and learning to maintain a stable weight.

My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. Not only has it improved my health and quality of life, but it has also has had a positive impact the lives of my family members.

I'm delighted I made the decision to do this and would do all over again.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Lori59
on 7/17/12 10:43 am
Thank you so much for your post. Very encouraging. I have been debating surgery for at least 5 years. I have decided to do it! I am 53, have a career and family, but feel I am at  the end of my rope. No energy to endure this any longer. It still seems bizarre to cut away my natural, God made stomach, but for some reason I have peace about it now. I go to my first info session on 7/31. Excited!
Barbara C.
on 7/17/12 12:25 pm - Raleigh, NC

Hi Lori,

We all come to this in our own way and in our own time. There have been times that I have lamented that I didn't do this sooner, but I actually think that I did this in my own time, the right time for me. It sounds like you are doing this in your own, right time.

Wishing you every success in your own journey to a healthier you.

Warmly, 

Barbara

zlynnc
on 7/24/12 1:34 am - BEAUFORT, NC
Barbara,
You have done Great!  And been a big inspiration to us all.  You have stuck with this Board when so many others have left.. Wonder what has happen to alot of them?   I wish I could get myself motivated to get below 150 again.  It isn't but just a few pounds away.  I just some days can't get inspired but that is just attitude and being tired from 2 jobs.  I have dropped a few pounds though in the last few weeks but I think it may be from have Iron infusions last month.  My feritin went to a 3 and they just redid my labs last Friday only after I called and said hey guys its been a month??  I got off my Vitamins last year and put myself in a Hole.  I am wonder if low Iron effected my matobolism?  Bet you know!  Well it is always good to see you on here.  Thanks for being here.

Beginning weight: 284  
Surgery weight: 251
Current weight: 149

Barbara C.
on 7/24/12 11:30 pm, edited 7/24/12 11:30 pm - Raleigh, NC

It's great to see you again as well. I have to admit that I'm not nearly as present or active on this forum anymore either because it seems like I've been beating a proverbial dead horse. It's really kind of sad since we once had such a vibrant support mechanism here. I honestly don't kow what to attribute the de,OSS of this forum.

A couple of things regarding where you are with your weight. First of all kudos to maintaining your loss as well as you have. Secondly, congratulations on recognizing and managing the minor gain you've experienced before it got out of hand. I really think its the secret to longer term success.

I'm sorry to hear that you became iron deficient and glad to hear that you are getting it back under control with your infusion. It's likely to even out and remain manageable if you continue your supplementation. Of course, you'll want to follow up with your labs to be sure all is well and allow for any adjustments that may be necessary. I don't know if you were aware, but I also experienced a low iron event. Mine was due to my own own stupidity when I was donating to the Red Cross, thereby lowering my iron... Not a good idea. At any rate, as you are likely aware low iron can cause extreme fatigue and there are studies that indicate that it does slow the metabolism. Here are some links to some information regarding iron and it's impact on the metabolism

http://www.livestrong.com/article/464880-can-iron-deficiency-affect-weight-loss/

http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/stunning_discoveries_regarding_iron_obesity_candida_thyroid/

Wishing you all the best as you continue your journey.

Warm regards, 

Barbara

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1603 views
12 years!