Hep C and Gastric Bypass???

jennirn2005
on 3/8/09 6:25 am
VSG on 02/27/13
Has anyone with HEP C had either the RNY or DS? My surgeon originally said the only problem will be that he wont be able to do my procedure laproscopically. Which is ok by me. BUT then when i  had my EGD the dr who did it (not my surgeon but one of his partners) said that my HEP C may be a problem and keep me from being able to have the surgery.  Im just wondering if anyone else has had this issue??
Ladysweetthang
on 3/8/09 10:58 am - NJ
not sure but when I googled it some of these links popped up www.hepatitisneighborhood.com/content/in_the_news/archive_24 45.aspx

www.hepatitis-central.com/hcv/liver/surgery/risk.html

You should ask your surgeon because he/she is the only one who can give you a definite answer
onewonders
on 4/9/09 12:04 pm - princeton, NJ

I have HCV also - chronic persistent hepatitis.  I am hoping to treat when the new drug**** the market in about a year.  Obesity increases the chance of treatment failure with interferon and the new treatments will include interferon (a nightmare in its own right).  Any way, I hope you have good news about the surgery.  Let me know how you make out.  I have my first consult April 20.  I spoke with the doctors office about being ruled out for lapband surgery because of the hcv.  They said its not an automatic disqualification.  I guess I'll find out Apr. 20.  Good luck!

uncommonheartinpa
on 2/7/11 3:44 am - freedom, PA
i had gastric bypass laproscopically in may of 2010 i was dianosed with hep c i***** it should not be a problem for you to have the surgery laproscopically i sugest you see a different doctor im not sure where you arfe located but i see doctor wilcox in sewickley,pa. you should be able to go on with your surgery but please see a different doctor laproscopic surgery is the best way to go  less healing time less scarring    good luck to you
Serenity1028
on 1/28/13 11:36 pm - Wilmington, DE

i have some of the some question. I recently found out i have hep c, and the doctors don't know yet. i am very nervous about telling them. this surgery means so much to me. should it be any problem if I haven't had any Medication for it yet?

B3457
on 6/25/20 5:49 am

@serenity1028 did you end up getting the surgery?

Plum1967
on 2/8/11 3:09 am
I would go with what the SURGEON told you, as opposed to the Dr. doing the EGD.  Obviously, if you discussed it with the surgeon, he is aware of you.  I doubt he would have told you yes if the answer was really no.

Good luck!

~wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

Most Active