Problem With PCP

MatthewsMom04
on 6/17/03 10:50 am - Bloomfield, NJ
I got word from my surgeons office that my insurance requires a psych evaluation (spelling)which i have a appointment Thursday ( June 19) and a letting from my PCP stating the I am thoroughly aware of the risk, benefits and certenties (spelling again). And the patient is aware of the postop diet and is committed to long term follow up. Ok I dont think this is a hard thing to do but for some reason my PCP thinks the surgeon should be writing the letter and not her. So now i dont know what to do. If I dont get this letter my insurance is requesting from my PCP they wont approve me. I have an appointment Monday with my PCP and another PCP I had used in the past in chase she will not write the letter. I dont know what the big deal is. Its just stating she knows I am aware of the risk and what is expected for followup and I cant be more prepared then I am. So i dont know what more to do. Anyone have any Ideas please let me know. My surgery date is fast aproaching and I need to get the stuff in my insurance company requests in so I can get approved. So anyone know of a WLS friendly doctor in the northern NJ area (Essex County area) please let me know. I dont know what more to do..IM freakin out here.
jlewisjr
on 6/17/03 4:14 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Hi Lisa: I had sort of the same problem with my PCP. I proposed a solution for him. I typed the letter myself, then I let him read it, told him to get me a piece of his letterhead, put my disc in his computer and printed the letter on his letterhead and told him to sign at the bottom. I took away all of his excuses for not doing it and let him know that I was serious about having the surgery and was not "just pulling his leg." I think that most PCP's have a hang-up about writing letters that surgeons request. Maybe they wanted to be surgeons but did not make the grade. Just stand up for yourself and let the PCP know that you are serious and that if they are concerned with you gaining control of your life (and remaining their patient) the letter has to be done. Don't give up and don't give in. Keep fighting until you get what you need to begin your new life.
Most Active