Feeling in Limbo!!!

jlewisjr
on 6/22/03 3:40 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Hi everyone. I need your advise. I have been getting all of my paperwork together for Dr. Kamelgard's office to submit to my insurance company for approval and then the unforseen happens. Dr. kamelgard is resigning from the University Hospital Obesity Center and is not scheduling any more surgeries there after July. My paperwork is there ready for submittal for insurance approval. I have called his office to try to get some information and as of last Wednesday his insurance person left. I have sent e-mails to him and am waiting to here from them. I just want to know what's going on and what should I do. I'm thinking about finding another doctor but I do not want to start all over again. I have copies of my PCP letter, my labs, my phych eval, my clearance from my cardiologist, proof of past attempts at weight loss and a letter from the hospital fitness center. I had so much trouble getting everything together and now I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me. I'm going to make some call tomorrow looking for other surgeons and hopefully after I explain my situation, I will not have to start from scratch. I would appreciate any guidance anyone in North Jersey can give me.
Irene S.
on 6/22/03 10:39 pm - NJ
Hi Jesse, I'm Dr. Kamelgard's patient also, and we're in the same boat. First of all, Tuesday July 1, is the support group meeting. I would urge you to attend. Dr. K will be the featured speaker at this meeting. He will be covering all the upcoming changes and what patients can expect. As I've been told, people like us that are in the pipeline, will get our surgery done by following Dr. K. to his new practice in Ramsey. He is going into practice with the top surgeon in nj, Dr. Capella and he will practice out of Hackensack Hospital. Hackensack is a much better hospital! So overall, this is a great move. People just starting out will have to explore other options since there are no firm plans to replace Dr. Kamelgard at University Hospital. I don't know if this is a temporary situation or if they are permanently dropping their obesity surgery program. Ok, so now you know as much as I do! Hopefully you can make it to the support group meeting. You need to preregister for the meeting at: http://www.theuniversityhospital.com/otc/ Also, there is an email list for Dr. K's patients at yahoo groups. It's called OSSG-Kamelgard. This is a great list for specific information related to Dr. Kamelgard and his patients and they welcome new members. irene
David F.
on 6/23/03 12:50 am - Sicklerville, NJ
You may want to call Dr. Vishal Mehta, (732) 745-0999 in Somerset. Dr. Mehta operates in New Brunswick's St. Peter's University Hospital. Usually you can get a consult with two to three weeks. I'm having surgery Wednesday, just four weeks after my consultation. I also had all but two minor screenings (H-pylori blood test and gallbladder ultrasound) completed when I switched to Dr. Mehta. Dr. Mehta is holding a free seminar on Sunday, June 29th at the Saddle Brook Marriott, I-80 and the Garden State Parkway @1:00 p.m. You may find more information at www.mehtabariatriccenter.com
Most Active