Sheri A.’s Posts

Sheri A.
on 1/30/07 8:37 am
Topic: RE: Drainage tubes?
It depends on the doctor...mine was trained in advanced bariatric and lap surgery, he doesn't use drains and does 3 leak tests before you get out of the OR!! That's one of the many reasons I chose him!
Sheri A.
on 1/30/07 8:35 am
Topic: RE: Tomorrow is the BIG day!!!!
Christine & Bob: I'm thinking about you and your big day tomorrow. All will be fine, as Sharon says you have the best doctor and surgical team out there. I will try to call you in the late afternoon to see how you are doing but I will be at work till about 9pm and may not have access to the phone. I think the two of you will be amazed at how great you feel. I told you that my friend's son and his wife both had surgery on the same day at Overlook last March...they are both down over 90 & 100 lbs respectively! You will both be success stories! Good luck!
Sheri A.
on 1/30/07 8:27 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday Jan 31st, NJ Chat 7:30pm
Sharon and everyone! I forgot last week and this week I won't be around, hopefully I'll join you all next week! Have fun.
Sheri A.
on 1/29/07 5:58 am
Topic: RE: Can anyone tell me........
Christine: I brought my own slippers but they will give you socks to wear. When you are in bed you will have the compression stockings on you. They feel great! I don't think you'll need a robe or pj's. The room will be warm and you'll be fine with the hospital gown. Chap stick and hand cream is a must, a brush or comb, something to put up your hair if you do it and maybe a book to read but I'm sure you won't do it...you'll sleep when you can or watch tv or talk to hubby. good luck and I hope you are doing ok with the clear liquids.
Sheri A.
on 1/26/07 2:39 am
Topic: RE: Can anyone tell me........
Hi Christine: You will not need shampoo as you will not be taking a shower. I showered the morning of surgery and went home by noon the next day. You will be hooked up to an IV so taking a shower will be difficult. There are no showers in the room either, you have to go down the hall, so I wouldn't count on taking one. The nurse will give you a sponge bath and wash your back, it will be heaven! I brought chapstick, handcream, facial cleanser and moisturizer, toothbpaste and toothbrush. That's all you will need. I brought reading material but never had time to read. I brought my cell phone but had my husband keep it till I got to the room and then I put it under my pillow in the room. When you get to the hospital they will put your clothing into a plastic bag and you will wear a hospital gown. After your sponge bath ask for a new hospital gown to sleep in. If you put your hair up, bring clips or a band. I brought a tiny bag of stuff and that was it. You will not need much and whatever you forget, they will give you! Make yourself a pot of chicken soup for your clear liquid fast. The canned broth will not cut it, especially on the first day! Good luck and call me if you have any further questions.
Sheri A.
on 1/25/07 5:26 am
Topic: RE: Lap Band Surg done 11-15-06, plateaued already????
The reason many doctors discourage the lapband is because of people's issues with food. Lapband is not as restrictive as RNY. With RNY you cannot eat large amounts of food and you have to keep your calories at about 700 per day. I chose RNY because I didn't want to have free reign to eat whatever I wanted and in larger portions.
Sheri A.
on 1/21/07 11:37 am
Topic: RE: We met with Dr. JB today!!!!
Hi! You missed the support group, it was last Thursday. It was a wonderful group, less people because of the bad weather threat....we missed our south jersey cousins. I think it is great that Dr. JB insists on an endoscopy...other doctors do not ask for it...you see he wants no surprises on the operating table! He is very thorough and cautious, one of the many reasons I chose him. Anyway, I have been to every support group since August and they are wonderful and really a must for all patients. It is nice to be in a room where everyone has faced the same weight issues and can be supportive! Hope you can come to the next meeting on Feb. 15.
Sheri A.
on 1/19/07 9:39 pm
Topic: RE: We met with Dr. JB today!!!!
Hi Christine! Glad the appointment with Dr. JB and staff went well....I am surprised that after spending 6 months at the Barix Center you never went to the cardiologist, pulmonologist and gastro...! That's amazing! It took me almost 2 months to get all of that out of the way! You will need all those clearances before Dr. JB will operate and I think it's great that he is so thorough...he wants NO surprises on the Operating Table. The sonogram for clots is called venous doppler. They do it in the hospital along with the chest xray, bloodwork and EKG. It is a pain getting all these tests done but believe me you will be glad you did it. All of the complications and deaths you read about are due to the fact that these people did not go through the proper tests before they are operated on. The best thing about Dr. JB is that he is so humble, I am so impressed with him and it just keeps getting better and better! Keep in touch!
Sheri A.
on 1/18/07 11:02 pm
Topic: RE: Water Flavoring
I worried about it too but truthfully I won't be able to get all the water in if I have to resort to drinking it plain. I add the water sensations or buy the nestle flavored water, both have splenda in it which is supposed to be better than aspartame that is in Cristal Lite. I find the water sensations very sweet so I can use one packet for 2-3 bottles of water. I am 10 weeks out and drinking flavored water has not slowed my weight loss or caused me to be hungrier. Keep things as "natural" as possible.
Sheri A.
on 1/16/07 8:42 am
Topic: RE: Let's Try a Chat again...Wednesday Jan 17th @ 7:00pm....
LOL! So far we are all Dr. JB's patients. I will be there tomorrow...that's a better time for me! Thanks for setting this up Sharon!
Sheri A.
on 1/14/07 12:55 am
Topic: RE: VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION......
Sharon-I assume your diet is the same as for RNY...you should be on liquids now. What did Judi tell you? If you are on liquids don't have more than 2 oz. When you are eating food just have 1/4c. at a time. You probably shouldn't be chewing now. Call Judi tomorrow to discuss.
Sheri A.
on 1/14/07 12:53 am
Topic: RE: New Jersey Chat Room Open to all.... Sunday 11:00 am
just saw this and it's noon. let's set it up again. i'm in.
Sheri A.
on 1/11/07 2:08 am
Topic: RE: Surgery is Over....
You know what I look like so look for me! I have a follow up appt. so I'll be there at 4:30. How are you doing so far?
Sheri A.
on 1/11/07 12:02 am
Hi John! Hope to meet you on the 18th. I know you missed the December support group because of work.
Sheri A.
on 1/10/07 7:07 am
How was your experience with Dr. JB? Isn't he great? He has a great bedside manner - I am so pleased with my experience with the center so far and have nothing but wonderful things to say! I look and feel great so far and I know it will continue. Just follow everything to the T and you will be another success story at The Bariatric Center! Hope to see you next Thursday.
Sheri A.
on 1/10/07 7:03 am
Topic: RE: Sharon G
Glad you are doing well....I prayed, it worked! I was a textbook case too. I was not sore and had no gas! Are you coming to the support group on the 18th?
Sheri A.
on 1/10/07 7:01 am
Topic: RE: SUPPORT GROUP IN UNION COUNTY
Harris: I'm still trying to get something organized but I don't have enough people. In the meantime, you can come to The Bariatric Center's support group next Thursday. We meet in the building on the corner of Randolph Rd. and Park Avenue, enter where the Adult Day Care center door is. We start about 5:30 and end at 7:00. Looking forward to seeing you there.
Sheri A.
on 1/8/07 8:19 am
Topic: RE: Hi Everyone
Just wanted to update everyone on Kim's stricture...it seems that she still has it and is being admitted to Muhlenberg for dehydration now. She will get hooked up to an IV and the gastroenterologist will redo the endoscopy and the balloon on Weds. Someone in TR last week told her that she had to have two procedures to clear the problem. Hopefully, the second time will be a charm.
Sheri A.
on 1/5/07 7:07 am
Topic: RE: PowerCrunch Bars - Cheap!!!
My nut. said definitely NO on the bars. She doesn't want me having bars on a regular basis. She says they are good in a pinch. the sugar and carb content are too high. I am staying away!
Sheri A.
on 1/4/07 6:52 am
Topic: RE: PowerCrunch Bars - Cheap!!!
The price is right however, I think there is too much fat and sugar in these bars. I'm going to ask my nutritionist before I buy them.
Sheri A.
on 1/2/07 3:46 am
Topic: RE: I will NOT!!!!
Woohoo what great news! So happy for you. Keep it up. I will weigh in on Friday. Hope the scale shows some downward movement.
Sheri A.
on 12/31/06 9:53 am
Topic: RE: Reccommendations on Lap-Band surgeons in NJ?
Hi Kathy: I knew the phone #, just mis-typed it! Thanks for correcting it for Mary in case she wants to call. Happy New Year.
Sheri A.
on 12/31/06 6:43 am
Topic: RE: Reccommendations on Lap-Band surgeons in NJ?
I have Horizon BCBS POS and had my surgery on 11/9. It was all covered with no out of pocket. My surgeon, Dr. Demevsar Jean-Baptiste got the approvals. You can check the Horizon website to see if he's listed. I assume he is because he takes almost all insurance. He does have a great relationship with Horizon and can probably get you approved if you qualify. His phone # is 908-336-4200. I would definitely schedule a consultation.
Sheri A.
on 12/27/06 2:28 am
Topic: RE: So many questions. Where do I start?
I think 2-3 weeks is standard. You are going to be in a healing mode and learning a new way of eating. You will need that time to learn all about your new pouch and how to take care of it. You may be tired too. I think it depends on how much you need to lose and how you heal normally. I took 2 1/2 weeks off and was more than ready to return to work at my desk job! You definitely should be moving around as much as possible because that helps in the healing process too! I would ask your doctor what he thinks based on your history. Good luck with everything!
Sheri A.
on 12/23/06 9:05 pm
Topic: RE: Down Even More!
Hi Timmy! Yes, I am just starting to feel "lighter" and notice a difference. My doctor has a monthly support group that I attend and enjoy. Are there others in my area? If there are I do not know about them. I would love to start one in the Union county area. Have a great holiday! S
Most Active