Sheri A.’s Posts

Sheri A.
on 12/22/06 12:34 am
Topic: RE: Down Even More!
I got a pleasant surprise today! I was down another 3.4 lbs! Total lost since 11/3 is 28.2 lbs! Yay! People are starting to notice and I feel great! Just thought I'd share the good news and wish everyone a happy holiday. I'm off till 1/2!!!!! Hugs, Sheri
Sheri A.
on 12/21/06 11:54 pm
Topic: RE: Little Pre-Holiday Update
Hi Anna! That's super about your weight loss - 100 lbs in 5 months WOW! I am down 28.2 lbs as of this AM in 7 weeks. I feel great too! I am starting to have trouble getting all the protein in as well and I forget my vitamins sometimes too (like this AM for example). Today I had my shake this morning so at least 35 protein grams are down. Your home renovations will be worth it when you see the finished product. Are you seeing any hair loss? What are you doing about your loose skin??? That's the thing I fear the most but so far I am wearing lots of shapers to firm my body out! Have a great holiday! Hugs, Sheri
Sheri A.
on 12/17/06 6:02 am
Topic: RE: Need help fast!!!!
Your nutritionist should really be helping you with this. When you first get home you will be on clear liquids for 2 days (at least I was). Then you can have milk based liquids. I used carnation instant breakfast. You don't have to worry about protein grams till after you are one week post op. I ordered my protein powder online but not everyone likes it so you can try samples from bariatriceating or anywhey.com. You will not start purees till after your first week post op check up and the nutritionist should give you what you need. Why don't you call the office tomorrow and ask questions. My nutritionist visited me in the hospital and went over my instructions. Don't buy alot of anything as you may not like it. I made that mistake and now have lots of stuff I hate- it was a waste of $$$. Good luck!
Sheri A.
on 12/16/06 8:42 am
Topic: RE: Entered Onederland
wow, roberta you must be losing very quickly....i'm at 6+ weeks out! i think i'm a slow loser anyway but i'll take every ounce I can get!
Sheri A.
on 12/16/06 4:37 am
Topic: RE: BIG PROBLEM!!!!
Hi Elaine! If the doctor you consulted with would not do the surgery because your BMI wasn't 40 it's probably because you have no other co-morbitities. I know many people who have had wls and they were perfectly healthy but had BMI's of 40 or over. Sometimes you could qualify for lapband if you didn't qualify for RNY. I had a BMI of just under 40 but sleep apnea and diabetes and I was approved immediately through BCBC. I am 5+ weeks out and doing fine! My starting weight was 223. My doctor was wonderful too but I really think you need to find out why you cannot have surgery with a BMI of 38.5.
Sheri A.
on 12/15/06 11:39 am
Topic: RE: Entered Onederland
Hey Everyone! I'm officially in the onederland club! I was 198.2 on my new home scale today! I'm 5 weeks post op but the total weight loss includes what I lost the week prior to surgery so its a total of 24.8 lbs! I'm thrilled. I started back at Curves and I am sure that made the difference this week. Wishing everyone a very good weekend, Happy Chanukah & Merry Xmas! Hugs, Sheri
Sheri A.
on 12/10/06 8:54 am
Topic: RE: back to the real world
Hi Roberta! I too could have gone back after 2 weeks but I went back after 2 1/2, I was so bored at home and couldn't wait to get back...I had no trouble. I told very few people at work about what kind of surgery I had and so I didn't have those questions asked of me. If people say they would never do that, just reply that it's a personal choice and not for everyone. It's not the easy way out either, it's a "tool" and you have a lot of work that goes with the tool. You are still healing too! Remember you can't lift anything over 15 lbs so you are still in the healing phase! Good luck!
Sheri A.
on 12/2/06 3:35 am
Topic: RE: How do you pick a surgeon?
After doing tons of research I chose Dr. Jean-Baptiste, Medical Director of the Bariatric Center at Muhlenberg Hospital. He met all of my criteria: attended a top medical school, did a fellowship in advanced bariatric and laparoscopic surgery, has a complete comprehensive program, a warm inviting, interesting and well attended support group and not a huge practice where you are just a number! He worked with other good bariatric surgeons and he also taught other doctors. Besides that he is a master of his craft and a really nice man. He never rushes you when you are in his office and he is very smart and well spoken. He takes almost all insurance, I have Horizon BCBS. The next support group is on 12/21, you should come. I am 3+ weeks out after RNY and I'm doing very well, about 20 lbs down. Email me and I will tell you more.
Sheri A.
on 11/30/06 6:36 am
Topic: RE: OCWLS Group - Holiday Party - This Friday
I would love to attend but it's so far from me...I'm exit 135 on the parkway. Too bad we couldn't car pool from up here.
Sheri A.
on 11/29/06 8:00 am
Topic: RE: Update on Kim (gypsylady)
Spoke to Kim a little while ago....she doesn't remember anything much till she got to her room about 3:30. However, she was able to get out of bed and walk a little. She was so out of it that her parents and fiance left. She seems uncomfortable and is on pain meds and she has very dry lips and mouth. It was hard for her to talk. I'll call her again tomorrow before she leaves the hospital.
Sheri A.
on 11/29/06 6:50 am
Topic: RE: Update on Kim (gypsylady)
Kim (gypsylady) asked me to post after her surgery. I tried calling her but she didn't answer her cell, however, her fiance left me a message that she was out of surgery and doing well. I guess I will find out more when she calls me back. Thanks to everyone who prayed for her!
Sheri A.
on 11/26/06 7:43 am
Topic: RE: Support Group in or Near Union County
Hello! Does anyone know of or would be interested in a support group non doctor affiliated in Union County? My doctor's support group meets the 3rd Thursday of each month but I was looking for something else - a sharing type of group or just some post ops who want to get together to talk. We can meet at a diner or maybe at Barnes and Noble. Let me know who's interested.
Sheri A.
on 11/25/06 10:29 pm
Topic: RE: My surgery is MONDAY morning
Good Luck Ray! I'm sure everything will be fine. I had the same feelings as you that I may not wake up but I did and the feeling was glorious when I opened my eyes for a brief time in the recovery room! If you trust your doctor and his staff, you know you will be on the loser's bench in less than 24 hours!
Sheri A.
on 11/25/06 7:47 am
Topic: RE: 6 Nutrition Classes
You should probably find another doctor because that's ridiculous. I consulted with several doctors and none required this. I paid the nutritionist 3 payments of $50 each but that is for unlimited consultations and emails and calls. that's a reasonable amount and I am going to submit it to my insurance company anyway. My nutritionist gave me an eating plan about 10 weeks prior to surgery.
Sheri A.
on 11/25/06 7:44 am
Topic: RE: 4 Days until Surgery
Kim! You will be fine, I am sure of it....remember, you have a great doctor and a fabulous surgical team behind you. I know it's scary but I told you exactly what is going to happen. Weigh yourself tomorrow (sunday) before starting the liquids. By Weds morning when you weigh yourself again and see the weight already coming off you will be so happy! It is normal to fear the unknown. when you get to the hospital you will be treated like a queen! And in a week or so when you are feeling good after surgery, you will feel silly for being so scared and nervous! I am 16 days post op and feel so fabulous!!!! You will be amazed at what this surgery is going to do for you and how great you will feel afterwards...I was pleasantly surprised. Just listen to Dr. JB, Kathy, Dr. Dan and all of the nurses. Follow Judy's diet to the T, and call me if you need anything! I will post on the NJ boards on Weds and let everyone know how great you did! We're rooting for you! Hugs, Sheri.
Sheri A.
on 11/25/06 5:20 am
Topic: RE: it's official
It's interesting that every doctor has a slight variation on diets...I was allowed 1 oz an hour for the first 2 days then 2 oz on day 3 and 4 oz. on day 4. Since I was doing so well, I got to skip day 4 clears and start on reg. liquids 4 oz. an hour. By day 8 I was on purees and now I am on soft foods. Will continue that till I go to the next appt. in 4 weeks. I can have 3 2oz meals, protein + fruit/veggie 3 x a day and 2 protein shakes to equal 60 oz of protein a day. No snacks per se, I can have some yogurt or pudding if I feel the need and no soups! I also can't drink much of regular water so I am having flavored water and it's good!!! I also love the Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus. I like my water room temp!
Sheri A.
on 11/25/06 2:38 am
Topic: RE: Protein Twist, 40 grams carbs for sale!
Hi Anne! I just noticed that you live in Westfield...perhaps we know each other????? I don't see a profile on you. How are you doing so far with your weight loss?
Sheri A.
on 11/25/06 2:29 am
I just don't care for them....I don't like the water based protein drinks....I didn't try them before I bought them, big mistake! Besides, I am getting enough protein from eating regular food and one or two milk based whey proteins a day.
Sheri A.
on 11/24/06 8:49 pm
Topic: RE: BCBS
I have POS, I was approved in about 2 days, nothing required except the psych and nut. evaluation and a letter of necessity from my surgeon! I am sure BCBS figured I was a no brainer with my diabetes and sleep apnea!
Sheri A.
on 11/24/06 8:46 pm
Topic: RE: it's official
Hi Roberta! Glad you are doing well so far! You knew what to expect and did your homework so the rest will be easy! I didn't know you were having open....was there a reason why? Are you in pain from your incision???? I am doing well, although my surgery was 16 days ago, my weight loss is reflected on my last pre-op appt. at the doctor's on 11/3 so in 3 weeks, I'm down almost 18 lbs! I am pleased! It's just an amazing feeling to be full after eating so little food and have no cravings or desires for stuff you once couldn't live without! Keep up the good work. I swear by homemeade chicken broth and sf icepops blended with 2 oz of water to make a slushy! Water and jello get boring very fast! How long are you on clear liquids?
Sheri A.
on 11/23/06 1:31 am
Topic: RE: Crunch Time-- Need to go shopping
What helped me was my own homemade chicken broth. I didn't like the canned ones because they had no staying power! I bought dark meat chicken and boiled together with a pot of water...skimmed the crap from the top while it was boiling. You can add a few carrots, celery, garlic, onion, turnup, parsley if you want...I added a can of broth too for flavor. Let it simmer for about 2 hours. After it cooled, I strained it well and set aside the chicken. I put the broth in the fridge in smaller containers and when it was cold, the fat came to the top so I took that off...the end result is pure clear broth with lots of protein! I pureed the chicken with broth and mayo and froze it. I found the broth was my savior during the first week. It is also wonderful for adding moisture to your foods when you are on purees like tuna, salmon and chicken. It only keeps in the fridge a few days so freeze it. You can put it into ice cube trays and defrost as necessary too!. I took the sf ice pops off the stick and blended them with 2 oz. of water...it was like slushy! Don't buy too much, you won't need it. S
Sheri A.
on 11/23/06 1:16 am
Topic: RE: SUPPORT GROUPS PLEASE HELP
Hi Harris! The support group Robin is referring to is in Union County, in Plainfield. It is the Bariatric Center of Muhlenberg. It's open to anyone and run by Dr. Jean-Baptiste and his staff. The next meeting is on 12/21 at 5:30. It's in a building on Randolph Road adjacent to Muhlenberg Hospital. If you are on Park Aveue coming from Plainfield heading to S. Plainfield, you would pass Randolph Rd. and turn left into the parking lot. The bariatric center entrance is on the far right facing the building. I wish there were other support groups not doctor affiliated in Union County but there doesn't seem to be. If anyone reading this is from Union County and would like to participate in a support group, write back to me. Thanks!
Sheri A.
on 11/20/06 6:33 am
Topic: RE: VITAMINS
Flintstones and Centrum are not good vitamins. They do not contain enough of what we need. I researched vitamins intensively and decided on the Tropical Oasis that Susan Maria Leech recommended. The liquid absorbs the best and the vitamins taste like OJ! They are quite yummy! I ordered them from Vitacost.com for $17 a bottle. They seem to contain everything we need. I never knew that there was such a difference in vitamins until I started doing research! I don't mind spending more on good quality vitamins as this is my health we are talking about!
Sheri A.
on 11/17/06 11:57 am
Topic: RE: How long b/4 you can go back to work ?
I got a note for 3 weeks but I'm going back after 2 1/2. I could go back Monday, 1 1/2 weeks out but since it's a short week, I decided to take 3 extra days. If you have no complications you will feel great in a few days!
Sheri A.
on 11/17/06 5:15 am
Hi! I want to sell some bottle of Protein Twist that I purchased and can't drink now post op. I have two flavors, kiwi and apple. It's similar to isopure, comes in plastic bottles and has 40 grams of protein, 170 calories, no sugar or carbs. I would be willing to drive 10 miles from Westfield to deliver it or meet you someplace. I would sell it in units of 6 for $12.00. Let me know if you are interested.
Most Active