Sheri A.’s Posts

Sheri A.
on 6/30/10 12:32 pm
Topic: RE: Program for Life....Saturday in Morristown NJ
I arrived just at 9am and stayed till 5. I enjoyed the Biggest Loser contestants, the body contouring seminars and the comedian and the best was the cooking demo by Heba & Ed. I got freebies from the vendors but none of them interested me. I didn't bid on any of the silent auction items but the day seemed to go by and I was glad I stayed to hear Bill speak. I think the vendors should have been downstairs where the cooking demo was with the DJ...the kids stuff was lame and I feel for people who brought their kids. I attended with a friend and we had a good time.
Sheri A.
on 6/24/10 11:37 pm
Topic: RE: R O L L C A L L !!!
Hi
Do you come to First Saturday Support? I am the facilitator of the group and don't know if you've ever come...you mentioned you go to alot of support groups. We meet once a month on Sat at RWJ in Scotch Plains
Sheri A.
on 6/24/10 9:32 pm
Topic: RE: Wednesday June 30th: Next (NJ) Inconvenient get together dinner ** LOCATION ** !!
wow you are finally in union county...but it's a gym night for me. if i can re-arrange my schedule, I will come for sure! would love to meet you all if i don't already know you. tom, i would like the info on printing the OH card! what is this for, anyway? i will put your post out to my support group members to see if anyone else will join us. i will be asking for a separate check and will bring exact change! Thanks for setting this up!
Sheri A.
on 6/24/10 9:26 pm
Topic: RE: Horizon BC/BS - 7 month weight history requirement???
I had RNY under HBCBS POS in Nov. 06 and was approved immediately, no out of pocket expenses required. I now have PPO but maybe things have changed. It could be your company's specific plan too.
Sheri A.
on 5/20/10 12:36 pm
Topic: RE: not eating
Linda-I just saw this...I am so sorry! You didn't come to support at the beg of the month and I didn't know that you lost your husband. Please email me and let me know what I can do to help you.
Sheri A.
on 5/2/10 9:38 am
Topic: RE: MAY SUPPORT IS COMING!
Thanks for coming, Tim...I already registered for the event as did another one of our members. I am so excited about it. If you would like a list of vendors to contact for samples, etc. let me know. If I can be of any service to you in planning the event, I'd be glad to help out.
Sheri A.
on 4/21/10 11:45 am
Topic: RE: New Jersey residents.....Can you help me?????
Sandra, congrats on your upcoming surgery. Hope it all works out. Just curious why you are having DS...you are a lightweight like me. I lost about 80 lbs with RNY. Why are you using a surgeon in NJ???
Sheri A.
on 4/21/10 11:41 am
Topic: RE: MAY SUPPORT IS COMING!
Everyone is invited to attend our monthly support group meeting - Saturday May 1 at the RWJ-Rahway Fitness & Wellness Center in Scotch Plains. We start about 10:30am. The center is conveniently located 4 min from GSP Exit 135 and just a few short miles from Trader Joe's in Westfield! Email me: [email protected]. Just put up our blog/discussion group. Follow this link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/BariatricLosers/tab,0/page,1/#my_groups_main:1

Hope to see you on May 1
Sheri A.
on 4/16/10 10:52 am
Topic: RE: WLS Seminar April 28th in Scotch Plains
Dr. Lopes, bariatric surgeon, will have a wls seminar on Weds.April 28 at 6:30 at RWJ Fitness & Wellness Center, 2120 Lamberts Mill Rd., Scotch Plains.

Sheri A.
on 4/13/10 10:30 pm
Topic: RE: Peer to Peer Support This Saturday
Linda, thanks for clarifying that. We do usually meet the first Saturday unless the first Saturday is a holiday weekend.
Sheri A.
on 4/12/10 10:53 am
Topic: RE: Begrudgingly Packing My Gym Bag
Lisa! That is super! If you don't like one instructor, try another. It is amazing how great zumba is! I love the music and learning the cha cha, merengue, tango, salsa, samba, etc. Let me know how it goes! My dietician says that the human body was made to move so you are doing the right thing! Always work out to good peppy music too!
Sheri A.
on 4/6/10 12:54 pm
Topic: RE: Begrudgingly Packing My Gym Bag
Lisa:I don't think there is a person alive who enjoys exercising. However, it's a necessary evil and the real key to permanent and lasting weight loss. I am 3 1/2 years post op RNY and have successfully lost all my weight. I think one of the reasons I was successful was because of exercise. I still do it at least 5x a week. I cannot stress the importance of finding a type of exercise you enjoy. For some it's the treadmill or the elliptical, for some it's walking, for others it's cycling or swimming...I discovered dance after doing all of the above. I was bored to tears and almost quit the gym until I started taking zumba...from there I expanded my dance to include other dance classes offered in my gym and zumba taught by other teachers outside the gym. I encourage those lazy exercisers to try dance. You quickly get hooked. I had two left feet when I started but once I learned the basic steps the rest fell into place. I work in a high school, we have a weight room with ellipticals and a bike...do I go? NO! I like the classes better and never need to make excuses, I love dance and feel guilty when I miss out.
Sheri A.
on 4/6/10 12:46 pm
Topic: RE: Peer to Peer Support This Saturday
First Saturday Support will have their monthly meeting this Saturday, April 10 at RWJ Fitness Center, 2120 Lamberts Mill Rd., Scotch Plains beginning at 10:30am in the conference room. This is a peer to peer support group founded in March 2007 and we are not affiliated with any doctor or hospital. Everyone is welcome. We have grown to over 60 members and hope you can attend. This month we have a special guest, Susan Greeley, a registered nutritionist who will speak on several topics on healthy eating, weight loss and weight management. Any questions: email me: [email protected]
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 10:17 pm
Topic: RE: New to forum need advice
please email me at: firstsaturdaysupport@gmail as i often do not check the boards. i am off this week so i have a bit more time.
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 9:04 pm
Topic: RE: Denied By Blue Cross/Blue Shield
I had the two risk factors and a BMI of just around 40. I met with my surgeon on Friday and he called me on Monday and said I was approved! I was so shocked because I felt I was on the cusp with the BMI. I had (still do) diabetes and sleep apnea. My weight was about 230 lbs. at 5'2". I think that every BCBS plan may be slightly different...go on their website and take a look at your plan and then call them and ask for a supervisor and tell them what you see. I believe there should be no preclusions unless your employer specifically wrote one in. I know that BCBS pays very little to the doctors/hospitals so maybe your surgeon's office doesn't feel the payment they are getting is worth it and won't continue to fight for you.
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 8:59 pm
It is great that you are getting different points of view. I know people who are sorry they got banded and others who are sorry they had RNY and didn't lose their weight. Some people get bad advice from doctors who know nothing about their habits. I was fortunate to have an endocrinologist who knew that I was on the road to death with my out of control diabetes and told me that lapband was not restrictive enough for my eating habits. I needed to make food a lesser focus of my life and just have it as a path of survival. She was right...I don't see food the same way I did before. As for which to choose, if you have had abdominal surgeries, you may not have a choice in which procedure to use, however, both surgical procedures are similar (5 incisions) but in RNY you have your intestines cut and rerouted to your new "pouch" which is stapled shut. If you get a band, the band will be inserted to create a "pouch" with a tiny port in your abdomen creating a place for the tube to be attached for fills. the "pouch" can be expanded or contracted based on your needs. With RNY you have malabsorption which means that you absorb less calories than you consume and that's why you lose so quickly. Appetite and cravings (in most cases) disappear for 1 - 1 1/2 years so you don't desire or want the stuff that got you fat. By the time they return you are usually at goal weight and your mind has played catch up and you learn to maintain the weight loss with exercise and good eating habits. I understand that with the band you still have cravings and can manipulate the band to eat more and more often during the time of weight loss. I think it takes someone with strong willpower to have lapband and be successful. This is just my personal opinion. Again, you have to do what works for you and get several consultations with different surgeons before you decide. We are here for you. Good luck.
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 11:58 am
Topic: RE: Lots of free clothes! 18/20, 14/16
hi, if you live in edison and want to meet up with other wls people, come to my support group meeting on april 10 at rwj fitness center in scotch plains. email me at: [email protected] for further info.
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 11:55 am
Topic: RE: Denied By Blue Cross/Blue Shield
I have Horizon BCBS and my plan covers wls. I had POS at surgery time but I think all the plans cover it. Your doctor's office needs to fight this. And you need to appeal the decision and fight fight fight!

Good Luck.
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 11:51 am
I am a fan of RNY as it is the gold standard of wls and is less restrictive than the band. If you are a yo yo dieter and want to get the weight off quickly you should consider having RNY. I don't know many people who have had the band who have lost all their weight. It is hard to "cheat" with RNY and easy to cheat with the band. You need fills with the band and that is time consuming to keep getting them done. You need to find out if the fills are covered by insurance. Many people I know started off wanting the band, including myself, and changed their minds after finding out the true facts. Find out from your consultations with surgeons what the pros and cons are of each type of surgery. My surgeon did mostly RNY's as he knew they always resulted in a better long term outcome. I am 3 1/2 years post op and have lost all my weight and am maintaining.
Sheri A.
on 3/30/10 11:41 am
Topic: RE: First Saturday Support Group Meets April 10
Due to the Easter Holiday this weekend, the First Saturday Support Group will meet next Saturday, April 10 instead of this Saturday, April 3. Please join us at RWJ Fitness and Wellness Center, 2120 Lamberts Mill Rd., Scotch Plains at 10:30am. We will have a special guest speaker, Susan Greeley, a nutritionist, who will speak to the group about weight managment, label reading, controlling cravings and much more! Hope to see old and new faces. Email: [email protected]
Sheri A.
on 3/18/10 12:00 pm
Topic: RE: Newbie here!! Union County
Hi!
I am the facilitator of the First Saturday Support Group of Union County. We meet monthly at RWJ Fitness/Wellness in Scotch Plains, usually the first sat of each month however, for April we are meeting the second saturday, April 10. It's a great group, very warm, welcoming and friendly! come by. we start at 10:30am. email me for more info: [email protected]
We'd love to have you join us.
Thanks!
Sheri A.
on 3/16/10 12:36 pm
Topic: RE: Central Jersey meetings
Hi!
I am the facilitator of the First Saturday group that meets at RWJ in Scotch Plains. We are an active and vibrant group that has been meeting monthly for 3 years. If you send an email to: [email protected] I will put you on the routing list for all emails to the group. I hope you can join us on April 10.
Sheri A.
on 3/16/10 12:33 pm
Topic: RE: Looking back, would have have the surgery?
I am sorry i didn't have rny sooner and glad i got rny over lapband. i still get full and because i am active and exercise alot i eat basically all day but make good food choices. i don't eat sugar or fat or high carb foods. this is a lifestyle change and i made the decision to follow the rules. if you watch the biggest loser you will see that everyone gets flab no matter which diet they are on. i have flab on the abs that i would get rid of but i am too chicken to do it. there are financing plans available. you can try the teaching hospitals - they will do surgery at very reduced rates, new plastic surgeons working under the older experienced doctors. i think 98% of people who have had wls would do it again in a heartbeat.
Sheri A.
on 3/6/10 7:37 am
Topic: RE: Dr. Jean Baptiste - Anyone know ....
Hello
I would like to add that I started a support group in Union County. We meet the first Saturday (usually) of every month in Scotch Plains at RWJ Fitness Center. The group was started 3 years ago and is wonderful and vibrant. Support groups are great and ours is not affiliated with any hospital or doctor.

I hear that Dr. JB is now in Watchung and will be doing surgery at Overlook. Overlook is a great hospital. Many doctors change hospitals for one reason or another.

As for the office staff at the Bariatric Center, they are there, Pat and Alison, and they will be able to transfer your records with a signed release or will keep them for the new doctor when he/she comes on board.
Sheri A.
on 3/6/10 7:27 am
Topic: RE: Protein Drinks
i tried lean dessert (ordered from luckyvitamin.com $15 cannister). it's sweet so i need to make it with water instead of regular 8th continent soy milk. i added a piece of frozen banana and powdered peanut butter to it, it's thick and decadent but i am a chocoholic so for it it's good. other people think it's too sweet. you need to experiment. maybe use more water and less powder.

go to vitacost.com for extreme smoothies, i like them better than the worldwide ones...you can get worldwide cans in trader joe's and they are cheaper than vitamin shop.
Most Active