Totally OT question from an Ontario gal

Santiago1
on 3/27/11 1:05 am - Canada
Hi there Nova Scotians: I am planning on taking my mom to Halifax in June and was wondering if any of you can comment on whether the Cambridge Suites Hotel is nice/clean, etc? Would you recommend it? I was also looking into the Prince George or possibly the Haliburton (I generally prefer boutique hotels when I travel on my own, but think the Halburton could be small for 2 persons in same room)....

Your comments and input would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Joy
Ontario
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 4:11 am - Canada
Unfortunately, I haven't stayed at any of those hotels.  I've never heard any complaints about Cambridge Suites.  The Prince George is nice and has a good reputation. 
I have stayed at the Westin a few times and have absolutely no complaints there.  Rooms are nice, beds and pillows are lovely.
Santiago1
on 3/27/11 11:33 am - Canada
hey there Oakley - thanks so much for your input.

Good luck to you,

J
nannydeb
on 3/27/11 10:11 pm - Canada
All of these hotels are very nice and in the main core of downtown Halifax.  The one thing to think about is the walking.  I don't know how old your mom is, I apoligize if she's 60 and in better shape than I am..LOL), but the Haliburton is close to Citadel Hill and Spring Garden Rd., but has quite a hill to walk to Barrington St. and Lwr. Water St. and all four of these places are the tourist sites.  Hope that helps a bit.
Santiago1
on 3/27/11 10:37 pm - Canada
thanks NannyDeb - this is useful info that I will take into consideration when I finalize my booking.
My mom is older - she is in her late 80's and is in good shape but cannot walk long distances. I am planning on booking some bus tours such as a city tour, peggy's cove and lunenburg and mahone bay day tour (3 separate days - I hope it won't be too much for her). I have found this tour company online called ambassadatours which sounds good.
She would not be able to walk up the hill so I will have to keep that in mind.

thanks! I am so looking forward to going there.
nannydeb
on 3/27/11 11:25 pm - Canada
You will love it here.  The three tours you mentioned are very nice.  My husband & I will often take off at anytime over the summer in our 31 Chevy and end up in Mahone Bay & Lunenburg.  We love it there.
nsblue
on 3/27/11 11:29 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels you listed, but have stayed in downtown halifax at the radison for a week a year ago. My hubby had been an employee with pacrim so he got the staff discount. I must say at the radisson was wonderful. our room had a fridge, microwave sitting room etc... beds and rooms were wonderful and so were the staff.

only other place in halifax i stayed was near the rotary at the best western chocolate inn lake. not as posh as the radisson but was still a wonderful place to stay, and peaceful view...they even have a chocolate lab as a guest greeter lol

Santiago1
on 3/27/11 11:38 pm - Canada
thanks so much nsblue - I did look at the chocolate inn lake but it is outside the central area and we won't have a car so I cut that one off my list.
I was in NS about 13 years ago and love love loved it but my mom has never been so I am looking forward to exploring with her. I hope she can handle the tours and all the running around!
I plan on eating lobster and scallops my whole time there!
MooseheadsII
on 3/28/11 5:09 am - Halifax, Canada
I highly recommend the Radison, Lord Nelson, or the Westin. Thinking your Mom may be happiest at the Lord Nelson. It's a lovely hotel, right across from the Public Gardens.
I organize conferences and have used the Westin a lot b/c the staff there are phenomenal. But it isn't in the most convenient setting.
Make sure you have at least one meal at McKelvie's - seafood to die for. You may want to eat there more than once. They're in the heart of downtown - so a nice walking tour of historic properties or a trip to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (a must for your visit) followed by dinner at McKelvie's would make for a perfect afternoon/evening.
Shirley
Santiago1
on 3/28/11 7:49 pm - Canada
thanks so much Shirley for thesse great tips! I will check out the Lord Nelson, plus I can't wait to go and eat at McKelvie's - my mouth is watering already to sink my teeth into some yummy Nova Scotian seafood! yum! 
Joy
Most Active