5 Month Progress with Pictures

Carly ~
on 11/30/11 4:07 am, edited 11/30/11 4:32 am
It's been awhile since I posted on here, I am 5 months out from being sleeved!

I feel fantastic!  I am down 82 lbs, taking me into the 200s!!!   I've lost 86 inches overall.

I'm not noticing a big difference in clothing sizes yet, but I was so far out of the largest plus size clothes it took losing at least 50 lbs to get into size 28s again.  I've lost over two sizes in shoes, used to wear a men's 10 for width to accommodate the swelling/fat, now a woman's 9.5.

I wear some size 24s, some size 22s, some 2x and 3x.  It's all over the place, and fit into an XL stretch work out pant from Old Navy!!  First time I could ever wear clothes from a regular store, even if it's their high end sizes!  Clothing is so frustrating, because sizing is so vastly inconsistent.  Even within the same store, sizing is crazy different.

My body will definitely have issues with saggy tummy and saggy bewbies, but I honestly don't care at this moment.  It bothers me sometimes when trying on pants, because they're too big in the arse and legs, for what size I need to accommodate my stomach.  

I have so much more energy, I don't have the pain and poor mobility.  The seatbelt in my car fits, and I can sit in booths in restaurants, and smaller chairs with arms.  

I'm losing quite a bit of hair, and getting in all the protein I need most days. I'm thinking about a shorter haircut, but not sure how that will work.  For now, I think because I have naturally curly hair, it helps to mask the hair loss.  I'm scared if I go shorter, I'll have to straighten it to style it so it doesn't look like an afro, and then you'll see how thin it really is.  I can clip up my entire hair in a small little girl clip.   I will be buying some biotin soon, for sure... if it's not too late to start.

I'm not hardcore and do not boycott carbs.  I do my best to get protein in first most meals, and most days I get 60g of protein in.  My calories range from 600 to 800 daily.

I do allow myself a treat from time to time, but my tastes and tolerances have so drastically changed.  Things that used to be my food addiction, I can not tolerate, or can't stand the smell of.  
I still have issues with seeing the difference in weight loss.  When I look in the mirror, it's all fucky.  I see myself the same as I was at my highest weight.  When I look at side by side photos, I can see a difference.  

I still pick up clothes size 5x, and think in my head that it won't go near me.  I pick up clothes that I'm wearing now, and think I brought in the wrong load of laundry from the laundry room, and have someone else's clothes instead of mine.  I don't know when my head will ever catch up with the changes my body is having.  

I just saw my surgeon for a follow-up appointment.  He said at this point, I've lost 20% of my excess weight loss.  He considers 30% excess weight loss a success, and that will be another 40 lbs to reach that point.  I don't want this to end at 30%.  Hearing him say that rattled me a bit.  He explained that from a medical standpoint, with losing 30% excess weight, I would have drastically reduced my chance of getting another disease associated with obesity.  From his medical standpoint, that would be considered a success.

I'm there, and I guess once I'm at that point where my health has tremendously been improved, the vanity will kick in and I'll want to lose more weight to become closer to an average size person.  I'll keep you posted on how that plays out : )

I love my sleeve, and my surgeon and his team for giving me my life back.

Pre-op December 2010 and 3 months post-op

5 Months Post Op - November 2011

nsblue
on 12/2/11 7:15 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Your looking great Carley... even if you don't see it, the pictures do show it. Our heads take alot of time to assimulate... i think a part of our brains always think "big" ...takes alot to reprogram and work on our self images in this process. Many many things to work on in this journey....it's not only the weightloss but our minds, behaviours & attitudes need changing too... 

best of luck as you continue....

Carly ~
on 12/7/11 3:29 am
 Thanks Blue 
You look great too!  Can't believe you still went for the sleeve doing so amazingly well on your own, only 50 lbs til goal?  From your profile, it seems your surgery was yesterday.

Hope it went smoothly for you with a speedy recovery!

nsblue
on 12/9/11 11:07 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada
yes I still have 50-60lbs to my first goal.I was 238 lbs the morning of surgery.... but with all the work I have done and the hard work I have gone through, getting another tool to help get me to my goal and keep me there i gladly have and now have it. I was sleeved on tuesday, surgery went well, never had a bit of pain meds whatsoever and came home yesterday and am doing great... am gettin in my fluids...protein and walking well over 10000 steps a day.

Life is great and am looking forward to the new year and getting lined up for a hernia repair and bonus tummy tuck.

Carly ~
on 12/20/11 10:43 pm, edited 12/20/11 10:48 pm
To state that you had no pain meds is misleading and irrational.
It gives people waiting for the surgery the wrong impression. I 100% believe that you had pain meds at many different points after your surgery.

For someone to endure major surgery without meds is barbaric. 80% of your stomach was removed for an additional 50 lbs to lose.
You certainly don't need to make statements like that to try to impress anyone any further. Your story alone is already an accomplishment without having to embellish your pain med schedule in hospital. It doesn't make you weak to say they hospital gave you required pain meds.

To state that you had none doesn't make sense from any rational or medical standpoint.
Maybe you meant that by the time you got home, you didn't need to take more pain meds. You most definitely had them in recovery and over the course of your hospital stay, unless there was a medical reason why you couldn't be given any.

nsblue
on 12/22/11 7:25 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
LOL there goes Carley LOL
My dear, I had NO pain medication WHATSOEVER...not even a tylenol...and I havent since being home either This is no attempt to impress anyone..or embellish nothing.... i was just stating fact.... sorry you feel offended by it.

When waking up in recovery that was the first thing they asked...if I needed anything for pain and I said I feel fine. They repeatedly asked and still... I said no. I was in no pain..I felt great and was joking and having a nice time with the girls in recovery.. It was tender but just that .....on a scale from 1-10 twas barely a 2 for me..which was nothing.. I do have a high pain threshold, as well as the doc said since I was in excellent health everything would be excellent afterwards...and is was and is. I remember hearing the recovery nurse giving my report to the 3rd floor...and it was from her lips that I heard I had received NO pain meds as of yet and is not requiring any and was doing excellent. It was barely a half hour upon getting into my room that I went for a walk  being told to slow down..I was fit going in, walking 11K a day at 4mph, I was physically and mentally ready for this and I truely feel tis why my recovery was so good.

I know everyone is different and my experience may not be the same as anyone elses. I am very fortunate. Surgery is very individualized...anesthetics alone can be a deciding factor on recovery. One thing I have learned in researching everything is whatever I went through was different...BUT what I read was very helpful in helping myself listen to my body and know what I needed to do through it all. I am not niave to think my experience was going to be like anyone elses I have read... I kept an open mind and was aware of the possibilities.
I learned alot and from those that shared their recovery stories and used their advice to find my own. Even during my introduction of water and fluids, with remembering everything said...I personally could tell a different story with what I learned from my experience...doesnt mean it didnt happen...just my experience was different as is many others.
Being confident of a good recovery and keeping an open mind and facing what needs to be done works wonders IMO. Here it is barely 2 1/2 weeks after surgery and I am back to walking 11K, and even dancing...and I feel wonderful...I realize it is only because I was fit going in that my recovery is doing so well.

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:49 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi Carly,

Congrats girl.  You look fantastic.  Like Blue says, you can really see the difference in your face.

Keep up the good work!

Most Active