Starting pre-op diet tomorrow! Heading to Tijuana, Mexico in 2 weeks!

KRS2014
on 6/24/14 3:09 am
with

It's hard to believe that two weeks from now I will be on my way to Tijuana, Mexico alone to have weight loss surgery. I am very excited and a little scared. Those of you who have gone through it, how was your flight back? What sort of things did you pack? Clothing wise and 'food' wise?? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

LenaM
on 6/25/14 10:43 am - Canada

Good luck! I didn't have surgery in Mexico so I can't really give much advice, but I can tell you I wasn't the least bit interested in food for the first while--took a lot just to get liquids in.  I've heard a lot of people say they can't stomach water, only sweetened things like G2.  For me it was the opposite, couldn't have anything with flavour--especially artificial sweeteners--for awhile without nausea.  My best advice would be chicken broth, maybe a clear protein powder, maybe Boost--whatever your surgeon recommends for your post-op diet; for clothes, keep it loose and easy to get on and off.  You won't want to be reaching over your head or bending down for awhile! 

KRS2014
on 7/1/14 11:29 pm
with

Thank you, Lena! Only one week to go now! Wow! It is getting very exciting and also nerve wracking. My pre-op diet has been going well. I constantly have to remind myself not to eat this or that but I have stayed on track and actually lost 8lbs already :) What protein drinks do you prefer? I'm still testing them out.

KRS2014
on 7/22/14 11:48 pm
with

Just wanted to update everyone. I made it to the airport on July 8th ready to head to Mexico. I had completed my 2 week pre-op diet and was looking forward to getting sleeved. My flight was to depart at 9:30am from Halifax on United Airlines and heading to Washington and then San Diego. After 5 hours of delays because of a flat tire my flight was cancelled. I got rebooked on a flight to Toronto with Air Canada leaving at 4:30pm. I would have 50 minutes to make my connection, including going through customs. When I got on my flight they announced a 45 minute delay because of lightning and heavy rain in Toronto! I made it to Toronto, missed my connecting flight and was put up in a hotel and told my flight to San Diego would depart at 6:30pm the following day! That would mean I would miss my surgery :( I phoned Mexico to ask what I should do. Do I keep going or turn around go home? I ended up turning around and coming home because my surgeon wouldn't be able to fit me in. I could have seen a different surgeon but I had done tons of research on Dr. Lopez and really wanted him. So, I am now booked for August 20th. One great thing about all of this is that this time I won't be going alone. One of my best friends has decided to have the surgery and we will be going together. There is a reason for everything :)

ruthanngood52
on 9/1/14 11:21 am - Amherst, Canada

Just wondering how you are doing and how was your experience?

KRS2014
on 9/12/14 1:11 am
with

I am now 3 weeks post-op and feeling great! I had a wonderful experience in Tijuana, Mexico and would highly recommend Dr. A. Lopez and his team. I was very well taken care of from start to finish. I had surgery on August 20th and stayed 2 nights in the hospital. Then got discharged and stayed at the Marriott for another 2 nights. I felt well enough that I could have headed home right away. I went on two tours after my surgery. Not long tours but a few hours to get out and see Tijuana. We went shopping, driving around and to the beach. It was awesome! I met some really great people in Tijuana from all over Canada and the US who were all having weight loss surgery too. We have become life long friends and have been keeping in touch via Facebook. I have lost 16lbs since my surgery and I lost 10lbs before my surgery on the pre-op diet. So, a total of 26lbs in 5 weeks! I have energy, I am working full time and have a 3 year old daughter. I'm a single mother so I have a lot of responsibilities. This surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

KRS2014
on 11/6/14 3:11 am
with

I am now 11 weeks post op and down 40lbs in total! I feel awesome. I am eating regular food, however focusing on protein and not interested in a lot of my old favorite junk foods. I haven't had any bread, rice or pasta and have no cravings for them! I haven't touched Pepsi at all which I was so addicted to months ago. My taste buds have changed. I'm never hungry and have to remind myself to eat. I would highly recommend this surgery to anyone and everyone!

Most Active