4 months since VSG in Mexico! No regrets!

KRS2014
on 12/23/14 10:32 pm
with

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update for any of you considering getting sleeved. I had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico on August 20th 2014. I am down 52lbs! I love my sleeve and my new body. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me anything. My whole experience has been positive and I have no regrets. Best of luck to all of you!

mackinlm
on 4/27/15 2:51 am

How much for your surgery and travel, etc.  Do you get help with the finances?  Did you have insurance?

KRS2014
on 4/28/15 4:38 am
with

I paid $4500 for my surgery and $900 for my flight. I know there are cheaper flights out there though. Mine was that much because I waited until the last minute to book. I got funding through Medicard. It's like a loan or credit card for medical purposes. They lent me the money for the surgery as well as the flight. No, I didn't bother with insurance. I would do it again tomorrow!

Glasspears
on 5/10/15 8:25 am

Would you mind sharing which center and surgeon you chose? It seems to me that the majority of surgeons in Mexico are so experienced, it would be hard to choose one that wasn't excellent. What were some of your criteria when researching and what made you ultimately choose who you did?

I work in the insurance industry and after trying and researching, I see that I'm not going to get a prior authorization approved (not enough co-morbids and BMI not quite high enough).

Congrats on moving forward with this process. I'm very much wanting to do the same. :-)  

Be brave with your life.

KRS2014
on 5/12/15 7:22 am
with

I ended up choosing Dr. Alejandro Lopez with the Mexico Bariatric Centre. He came highly recommended by many people I asked on Facebook in various WLS groups. I contacted another centre at first called A Lighter Me and almost booked with them but I found the coordinator rather pushy and like they were simply interested in my money. Once I contacted Dr. Lopez's office I felt in my gut that it was the right choice. I ultimately chose him because he teaches or has taught many of the other surgeons how to do the procedure that I was going for. He answered all my questions and I felt comfortable going with him. My criteria was that the doctor spoke English, that he came highyl recommended, that I could speak directly to some of his patients, that his hospital was clean, that he only did a few surgeries a day, etc. He met all my requirements and then some. We have since become friends on Facebook and he keeps up with my progress which is really nice. I know he and his staff are always there for me if I have any questions or concerns at all.

Good luck! I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever with this surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Glasspears
on 5/12/15 10:13 pm

I am so grateful for your reply.  Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing this info (which I know you put much time in to). 

I will keep you posted. 

Be brave with your life.

KRS2014
on 5/13/15 9:08 am
with

You're very welcome :)

Maura_lee1
on 7/24/15 1:14 pm - Canada

Hello KRS;

I am just in the beginning stages of starting the process for bariatric sleeve surgery and would be very interested in learning more about this doctor and the facility.  I am Canadian so not sure if the costs are the same.  What about medical coverage while you were in Mexico?  I have been overweight my whole life and at 56 I am tired all the time.  My health continues to go downhill and this is my last resort.  I have tried diets and exercising only to gain more weight and I just want this last half of my life to be a happy and healthy one.  I greatly appreciate any information you or anyone else can provide.  Anyone from the Maritimes have this surgery in Mexico?

Thanks so much, Maura 

KRS2014
on 7/27/15 7:16 pm
with

Hi, I'm from Nova Scotia. I went with Dr Alejandro Lopez and had no complications at all. Everything went extremely well and we were sightseeing two days after surgery! My best friend and I both had surgery the same day and are both doing awesome. I paid around $4500 US plus the cost of my flight. I flew into San Diego and a driver picks you up and drives you across the border. Then they take you to your hotel and back and forth to the hospital,etc. you are well taken care of from the moment you land in San Diego until you leave. It's honestly the best thing I've ever done for myself. It has saved my life and given my daughter a healthy mama. You won't regret it!

Maura_lee1
on 7/27/15 8:30 pm - Canada

Thank you so much for your information.  It makes me much more comfortable in my decision to get this procedure done and live a long and happy life :)

Most Active