Looking for advice from anyone who's used Mexico Bariatric Center

ashlinmariephoto
on 4/8/16 12:06 pm

I have made contact with the people at the Mexico Bariatric Center in Tijuana.
I am in desperate need to loose 120 pounds before i can have another surgery I need, within the next two years or so.
I have lost 50 pounds on my own, but still have 120 to go.

Has anyone here used this clinic? and what can you suggest.

I am in Halifax, NS, and Money is NOT an issue.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/16 12:56 pm - CA

Ashlin, welcome to OH!    Here is a link to the Mexico Surgeon Reviews which do include the surgeons from Mexico Bariatric Center.   There are also reviews on other surgeons, so you might want to review some of those as well. 

Good luck

~Nik

MissKayNL
on 5/2/16 9:47 am - Halifax, Canada

Hey Ashlin, I've heard good things about the Mexico Bariatric Centre. It was my #1 choice when I was looking at surgeons in Tijuana.  I am also in Halifax, NS and if money wasn't an issue for me, I would be heading down to Mexico myself!  I think I recognize your profile picture from another group I am on, so if you want to chat to someone locally, I'm definitely up for that!

I'm currently wading my way through the bureaucratic mess in order to have MSI cover my surgery in another province.  Good luck if/when you decide to go down! :)

Krista

Referral Sent: March 2016

ashlinmariephoto
on 5/3/16 12:25 pm

Thank you Krista.

I'm so very close to making the final decision.
I'm back down to loosing on my own after a month plateau, but i keep seeing posts about how people always gain it back, and yadda yadda, and the only way is surgery.
I get torn both ways.

I'm in contact with a representative regularly, but i'm getting a vibe i don't like that they are being very pushy, keep trying to entice me with quick booking discounts and such, and i get this vibe like, its a scam or something, since i need to pay a $500 deposit on a CC.

Have you had this kind of experience?

MissKayNL
on 5/4/16 7:02 am, edited 5/4/16 12:03 am - Halifax, Canada

I am part of a few bariatric support groups on facebook and somebody posted a really awesome link about how when you are losing a substantial amount of weight your metabolism actually slows down significantly... Which is why it is so easy for us to plateau and to gain back all (and then some) of the weight we lose, because our metabolism never actually recovers and goes back to "normal", it stays slow.  Here's the link in case you are interested in it (it's a pretty good read).  It makes me more confident then ever that having surgery and giving myself this tool to help me lose and maintain is the right decision for me.  The article is HERE.

My experience with the Bariatric Centre has been pretty good.  A $500 booking fee to confirm the date is not unusual when you are privately paying.  It's basically just to hold your spot, and then I believe you have to pay the remainder of the balance within a certain amount of time before the actual surgery date (check with them, every place is different).  I have also heard wonderful things about the surgeons associated with Bariatric Pal.  They seem to have some pretty great deals, and they are very supportive (even post-surgery)... They also have facebook groups you can join.  I haven't had any problems with them being pushy.  I think it's kind of how big sales like this just go.  There's lots of money and people probably often flip-flop (it's a pretty big decision afterall.)

As I said, I am fighting MSI on the right to have it covered in another province.  If you are interested, once I finally get the statistics from NSHA (I formally requested them, as I need them for my rebuttal letter to MSI), I am more than happy to share them with you. :)  I know you said money isn't an object, but if you can get it done in another province for the cost of a flight, it may be worth looking into!  As long as your physician is saying you should get it done, you pretty much are on the right track (even better if you have had a referral sent to the Obesity Network in Halifax).

Krista

Referral Sent: March 2016

KRS2014
on 5/24/16 8:34 am
with

Hi,

I used Dr Alejandro Lopez at Alo Bariatrics in Tijuana Mexico. Both my best friend and I had surgery on the same day. We are doing great and haven't had any complications at all. Since then 4 more people from my local area have gone to him and have no complaints either. I had my surgery in August 2014. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I lost 80lbs. My friend has lost over 155lbs. She started at a higher weight than I did. I'm from NS too. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Kim 

Most Active