Heart Attack???

MRSYOGI1005
on 1/22/16 7:36 am

I had my RNY in 2008. I lost approximately 100lbs. which I have maintained since. My blood work is always great. My total cholesterol  is 64. My Good and bad have since surgery been beyond perfect as well. The only problems have been a yeast infection several years ago in my esophagus, I guess that happens more frequently than anyone would guess. I developed an ulcer that was treated with proposed and was healed. I have developed acute pancreatitas. Not sure what caused that but it seems to.be under control as long as I take my prilosec.

This is my problem. Nov 18, 2015 I went to the ER with what I thought was an injury to my esophagus. I had gotten food stuck earlier in the week and I had a stabbing pain in my sternum shooting into my back. 

Although I was sure it was my esophagus I humored them and let them do blood work and an EKG. 5 minutes later the doc comes in and tell my husband and myself that I had, had a heart attack.

WHAT? My lipids are always fine. I had RNY in 2008 to prevent this from happening. I was angry. I was mad at my RNY. I felt as though it let me down. They did a heart cath the next morning and what they discovered was a Tare in one of my diagonal coronary arteries. 

Also known as SCAD SPONTANIOUS CARDIAC ARTERIAL DISECTION.  With any heart patient you must take a baby asprin everyday, a blood thinner, which is mostly asprin, BRILINTA. I'm concerned about the asprin causing another ulcer. Now with the blood thinners I'm concerned about bleeding in my pouch. Has anyone else had to go on asprin therapy after surgery? I'm still in shock and still trying to accept the new normal. I feel like my body betrayed me, since I worked so hard to stay healthy. 

Well as I soon learned, this tends to happen to otherwise healthy people. I also learned that my SCAD had been brought on, not by my weight eating habits etc. It was stress. I'd been under enormous stress for the last 3 years.. so other than my question about anyone having to be on asprin therapy and brilinta, I want to let you know that we must not only take care of our bodies, but our minds as well. I thought a heart attack was impossible after my rny. I was wrong. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello Ohio!
ShanaC · 1 replies · 1100 views
Akron/Cleveland Folk
Daniel B. · 0 replies · 1481 views
Fresh Start Bariatric
Sassylike · 1 replies · 2364 views
Looking for Dr.
Beantowngal2 · 0 replies · 2265 views