Health Issues and Gastric Bypass...

dfurey01
on 3/21/13 5:32 am - OK

I am new to the site and just want to start getting some feedback to help with my decision to pursue WLS.  I am a 42-year-old male and have been fighting my weight since I was 17.  Because of the way my body reacted to eating and weightlifting growing up I was always considered obese by medical standards even though I was very muscular.  However, 4 years ago I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) and I lost my left kidney.  Prior to this I was already type II diabetic, had HBP, a-fib and a pvc, and severe sleep apnea.  Needless to say I am on an abundance of medications and supplements just basically to keep me alive.  I have tried dieting up the wazoo, gym memberships, personal trainers, nutritionists, etc and cannot lose any weight.  The probable reason is every med I am on has the side effect of weight gain!  I am so frustrated.  I can't come off the meds and the doctors keep telling me to lose weight and when I tell them I am trying, they just tell me to keep trying.  My family and two friends who have had gastric bypass tell me the surgery may be my salvation.  They came off their meds and lost the weight which gave them a quality of life I do not have right now.  Would this surgery truly help me? I have a 5-year-old son I want to see grow up, but I know right now, with the state of my health, I will be lucky to live another 10 years.  Any opinions or responses are welcome please.

motomom_73069
on 3/22/13 2:25 am - Norman, OK

Hi there!

None of us can speak to your personal medical issues, but I can tell you (4 yrs post op gastric sleeve), that all my medical issues have gone away and I take nothing but chewable vitamins now.  The quality of life is change is massive.

Good luck with your decision making process ;)

"It doesn't matter how strong your opinions are, if you don't use them for positive change, you ARE, indeed, part of the problem"

dfurey01
on 3/22/13 2:58 am - OK
On March 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM Pacific Time, motomom_73069 wrote:

Hi there!

None of us can speak to your personal medical issues, but I can tell you (4 yrs post op gastric sleeve), that all my medical issues have gone away and I take nothing but chewable vitamins now.  The quality of life is change is massive.

Good luck with your decision making process ;)

Thank you...I know no one can really give a direct connection to the health issues, but I want to gain a general consensus on how the surgery effects the health issues and if its for the better...I don't really have too many other options.

downhome
on 3/29/13 9:48 am
I went to Weight Wise in Edmond, OK. I think Dr. Walton can help you. What have you got loose by going to a seminar? I can't say enough nice things about my experience with them. They have a comprehensive program. Dr. Walton and his team really care about what they are doing.........go and talk to them and see what you think...........
bneill38
on 5/6/13 2:13 pm
Dr.nelson of journey clinic search online she has a website, shes great! Everything at her clinic...the nutritionist,psych dr, physical is all in one place..the support groups are very informative. I too have health issues out the wazoo! And now im looking forward to living a long healthy life
NANCY C.
on 5/14/13 12:09 pm - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

I am off all my medicines other than vitamins and supplements.  That is a huge blessing.  I have not lost as much as I had hoped but I am still working on it and I go to the gym regularly and know I am much stronger and healthier.

I want to give you the following advice.  Go to http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/casesearch.asp  and put in the name of doctors you are considering.  I was shocked to see several doctors I was considering  with multiple malpractice lawsuits pending.  I know that is a risk for all doctors and WLS is high risk since we are all obese to start this journey but I don't want a doctor with a lot of lawsuits.

Good luck to you.

dfurey01
on 5/14/13 11:26 pm - OK

Thanks Nancy.  I had already checked OSCN (I was a police officer/detective for over 15 years so it was done out of habit...lol).  I am going with Dr. Hamilton Le out of Integris.  I have heard nothing but good things and so far the staff has been great.

NANCY C.
on 5/15/13 12:17 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

Dr. Le will be moving into my doctors former offices.  I went to Dr. Gornichec and he has moved to Arkansas.  I believe my records stay with Dr. Le.  Let me know how it goes!

Most Active
Recent Topics