11 years Banded and Getting ready to say GoodBye

Kathryn B.
on 12/17/16 6:38 am - Midwest City, OK

Well I am 11 years out with my band and I am getting ready to say good bye to it.  My saying goodbye is not because I hit my goal and I have changed my life in a #jesussaves kinda way but rather because two days ago during an EGD for what my GI thought was possible IBS it was discovered that my band has eroded into my stomach.  And to quote my doctor "This is the worst case of erosion he has every seen".  

First and foremost I know this didn't happen over night and I know I should have taken better care of myself when things start to feel off a few years back but like many reading this life, kids, work, and everything else got in the way.  Looking back knowing now what has been causing my problems I should have clued in sooner but I didn't.  I also know that after my liver surgery I stopped the eating habits and everything that made my band successful at first.  Rather it was a mindful choice or not I was just thankful to be alive after dealing with that. 

I can't say that I am back in the same boat I was in 11 years ago.  I am still 150 pounds lighter than I was 11 years ago.  I don't seem to be gaining weight I stay in a 10 pound range of 250 to 260.   What I can say is for lack of a better term I am sad and scared. My family doesn't really get it and I don't blame them.  There is no real info out there about erosion other than the stats and people stories.  I can't find things to help me understand what I am looking with the surgery to remove the band and repair my stomach.  

I guess this post is just as much as a release as it is to ask if anyone who has dealt with erosion what steps they went through, how was it handled, how did you feel, how long did it take to heal.  I am sorry for the rambling just kinda numb still at this point. 

stephanieplum
on 12/28/16 8:43 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I just wanted to say I am so sorry you're doing through this.  I hope that the new year brings healing, health and peace.  

pammieanne
on 1/4/17 1:55 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I just saw this post. I'm horrible about checking the Oklahoma Board, because it's always so quiet over here!

Have you had your surgery yet? Who is your surgeon?

I live in Piedmont, and work in the city... so we're practically neighbors! LOL

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Kathryn B.
on 1/6/17 11:44 am - Midwest City, OK

I am bad about posting lol !!!

I am set for surgery on 1/13/2017 at Mercy Hospital.  Dr Hooper will be doing my removal.  I have not made up my mind if I will do a revision down the road or not but if I do I will look to her.  

How awesome I live and work in Midwest City. 

pammieanne
on 1/8/17 2:17 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Well I hope your surgery goes well! Nice to 'meet' someone else from Oklahoma... there aren't many here, for sure!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Kathryn B.
on 1/8/17 3:24 pm - Midwest City, OK

No there isn't, sadly I have found that most people and insurance companies are in the dark ages when it comes to WLS and the tool that it can be to people. If your on Facebook please look me up Kathryn Hubert

cat59
on 1/23/18 2:16 pm - Reydon, OK

This board was very active 10 years ago. A group of us became friends and met in real life to walk and to eat out once a month with our Sos together. My surgeon was Dr. Greg Walton at WeightWise Bariatrics in Edmond, and he was assisted by Dr. Toby Brussard. Nobody else was going to touch me but Dr. Walton. He is a talented surgeon, and I have long known his reputation. His wife was on my son's Make-A-Wish team several years ago. Could your surgeon do a sleeve or gastric bypass while he's in removing your band? Wondering if that's an option versus fixing your stomach and your losing your weightloss tool. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics