Need to talk to Post-Op Lap-Band patient!!! Have questions

Deidra U.
on 5/20/03 4:05 pm - Edmond, OK
I have a consult scheduled for 5-29-03 with Dr. Keith in Oklahoma City. My insurance has approved me and I have 90 to do the surgery. Basically I have questions for those that have had the Lap-Band and would like to know your feelings and would you choose the Lap-Band again if you had to. I would appreciate you thoughts!!! Thanks!
star .
on 5/21/03 12:32 am - OK
I havent had the lap band; but would be interested in knowing 'who' your insurance company is with?
Caryn R.
on 6/21/03 2:08 pm - Noble, OK
Deidra, I was banded 12-22-02. I have lost between 15-20 pounds. Big deal, huh? This amount is fairly common among others banded around the same time I was in the two groups that I regularly post and read. The things that I find positive about the band: I do eat much healthier now than I did before the band; I have compacted (3 inches lost in my waist, can wear clothes I could not pre-band, etc). Things I find negative/disappointing/don't like about the band: Weight loss is slow (especially when compared to other types of WLS), therefore people are sometimes discouraging, etc w/ comments like, "It think looks like you've lost A LITTLE weight." or "It better work after all that!", etc.; I still HAVE TO BE ON A DIET IN ORDER TO LOOSE WEIGHT! So, what's the point, right? The point is, I can stick to a diet (like Adkin's or just healthier eating) much bettr than I could before I got the band. THE BAND WILL NOT MAKE YOU LOOSE WEIGHT (like the RNY). The choices I make HELP me lose weight with the help of the band. I think if I would have had that fact really imprinted in my brain before surgery, I would have done better post-op (emotionally). But, even though my weight loss is slow (like many others), it will happen if I work to make it happen. Good luck!
Deb G.
on 7/26/03 1:56 pm - Asher, OK
Hi Deidra, I had the lap band done on may 13, 2003 and have had real good luck with it so far. I have lost 72 lbs as of today. My doctor, Russ Hanan explained it to me that it is a "tool" and use it wisely which I think I have done so far. What I mean by that is when I feel full, to stop eating immediately to avoid getting sick and throwing up. i also have noticed something sort of funny about all this. When i get full, my nose starts running. I guess its my signal to stop!stop! Dr. hanan told me no food is off limits but to stop eating when I get full. So far nothing at all has made me sick except when I drank water too fast... bad thing to do, drink too fast. I think for myself, I made a good decision to go this route. i want to lose it slow and keep it off. I dont want to throw up all the time, dump and worry about protein drinks and all that gastric bypass worry. I take a multi-vitamin and a baby aspirin everyday and thats all. I hope this info helps you to make whatever decision is best for you. If I can help anymore let me know. [email protected] Debbie
Most Active
Recent Topics