diarrhea yeah that is my topic lol

Jennbug
on 3/26/11 8:43 pm - kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/25/08 with
 HELP
i swear my insides want to be outside

so i am a bad rny pt i stopped my vitamins due to diarrhea
now have some serious anemia because of it so i started them back up again 
along with weekly iron injections (what a rip off some drug company is getting rich at 400 bucks for 10 injections)
here is the prob the diarrhea is killing me 
i take 2 multis
1000 b12
and was on 3 ferrous fumerate
i switched to proferrin cuz i thought the runs were due to the iron since they only occured 8 hrs post iron taking and i heard that more proferrin is better absorbed etc
but now its even worse
any thoughts? 
could it be the b12? or the multi?
i know its not my losec
and is there a stinking metamucil tablet  lol 
Bonnie ABC
on 3/26/11 9:15 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Sounds to me like you need to have a stool sample checked.  Iron usually constipates a person.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Jennbug
on 3/26/11 10:26 pm - kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/25/08 with
 nah a stool sample would be pointless 
i only get the runs when i take the vitamins
when i stopped them for about six months they diarrhea stopped
and if i miss my vitamins for 2 days they stop 

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/27/11 2:47 am - Windsor, Canada
Call your surgeon's office.

Some people can be more sensitive to certain vitamins.  Have you tried a different multi?

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

StevesGal
on 3/27/11 7:41 am - Hamilton, Canada

Iron is definitely a "stopper" not a "runner".  I had to take the ferrous fumerate a few years back, and I had to take a stool softener with them.  I would definitely be contacting the surgeon's office (not your GP).  Better safe than dehydrated.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

debralight
on 3/27/11 7:53 am, edited 3/27/11 7:55 am - Canada
Grab your vitamin bottle and take a look at the ingrediants - esp the inactive ingrediants. is there sugar in them perhaps? Sugar goes by so many names - might be worth using an online dictionary to look up any. You could be dumping on the sugar.

Why not use benefibre. Tasteless, stir it into whatever drink .. way nicer to take than the straw that is metamucil. I think there are generic version of benefibre. Some versions of metamucil have sweetner in them.

Look at the B12 too - sugar?

Maybe if there is you need to look for a sugar free multi? Have you tried different brands of multi?

Oh and a good thing you switched off of the ferrus fumerate - losec is a PPI so taking that sort of iron with it makes the iron useless - PPI's like losec stop your body being able to absorb the iron if you take them. Proferrin isn't affected by them.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Jennbug
on 3/27/11 8:20 am - kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/25/08 with
 the surgeon is aware they said some people react that way to iron not unheard of but rare none the less
they are the main reason i had to go back on them, they suggested different brands of iron
i just swtiched multis last week 
the only thing they suggested was metemucil
i will look into the ingrediants
perhaps eliminate one vitamin for a few days and see if its that one or not 
its all about trial and error i guess
i was just hoping someone had the same problem :( guess i will start with removing the b12 tonight 
trudylam
on 3/27/11 9:09 am - Sudbury, Canada
I am still pre-op so I am just wondering.  Can we take immodium post-op for diarrhea?

Most Active
Recent Topics